PDA

View Full Version : Fleece How do I make this bed?

mama_
11-27-12, 05:49 pm
The initial costs of adopting my boys, Michael & Jordan, were more than I had anticipated. I pretty much can't afford to buy anymore things for them so I'm opting to attempt to make all future toys/beds/liners.

I literally have never sewed anything in my life (before sewing their fleece liners this past weekend). I have to admit, they turned out pretty decent. So now, I'd like to make them a bed. Preferably, this one:

It's exactly the type of warm, dark, secluded sleeping area I know they'd love. But, since I'm obviously new at sewing, I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions, step-by-step instructions, or anything that would help?

mama_
11-27-12, 05:49 pm
Oh, and if you can't tell by the picture, it goes in the corner. So the back section is a 90 degree corner so it fits nicely in the corner of a cage.

spy9doc
11-27-12, 06:46 pm
If you don't sew much, that bed is probably too ambitious for you. Start with a cozy sack which is like a sleeping bag. I've tried making all sorts of fancy beds and things for my kids, but they love their cozy sacks the best.

Here is a video that is fairly good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-6KOTOvmY

Also, if you want to PM me an email addy, I can send you directions for making a fleece tunnel and a cube.

madelineelaine
11-27-12, 06:53 pm
I would feel bad saying how to make that because it's someone elses pattern.

lifesvr7
11-27-12, 07:33 pm
I want to rent one of if good sewers to come to my house to sew for me and teach me lol Im awful at learning things like that with a tutorial or video, but do great if I have someone these to help me and answer questions. I can maybe figure it out with trial and error but don't really want to waste my fleece :D

mama_
11-27-12, 09:56 pm
I would feel bad saying how to make that because it's someone elses pattern.

I understand your point but I think if you post your pictures on the internet it's fair game to copy. Now if I were stealing her pattern to sew multiple beds to sell to others, then I think that would be wrong. But unless she has that pattern patented, I'd say it's up for grabs for people to attempt to make their own.

mama_
11-27-12, 09:58 pm
I want to rent one of if good sewers to come to my house to sew for me and teach me lol Im awful at learning things like that with a tutorial or video, but do great if I have someone these to help me and answer questions. I can maybe figure it out with trial and error but don't really want to waste my fleece :D

I definitely agree with this. If I had access to an unlimited, free supply of fleece, I'd practice and practice until I perfected every type of guinea pig toy, liner, and bed possible lol.

lifesvr7
11-28-12, 09:25 am
I took a sewing class once and did GREAT but trying to replicate those same things on my own was a DISASTER without someone there to guide me, answer questions or just send me good sewing vibes lol

ih8rttea
11-28-12, 10:07 am
I would start with something a bit simpler, like that hanging cozy bed in the Special Reference section. That looks much easier!

If I tried making this bed, I would start making a pillow that's quarter of a circle. Then with the back wall, I'll sew on a rectangle size fleece pillow (if you want to make it stand up on its own) with one side still opening. Then the front would first have another large rectangle with a hole (which I would sew up to make it look neat). I'll put in the stuffing to make it stand on its own and sew those walls close, leaving extra inches so I can sew the top. Then finally, I'll sew on one quarter-of-a-circle fleece on top, using the hole to pull the whole thing inside out. Then you got a bed similar to that!

I'm not the greatest sewer either, so this may be too ambitious, but that's how I think I'll do it. Start something simpler and work your way up.

mama_
11-28-12, 11:22 am
Haha, I guess you're right....maybe this IS a little too ambitious for an inexperienced sewer (or is it seamstress? no idea). I guess I'll have to find something simpler haha. Maybe I'll ask my grandmother to make me this!

lifesvr7
11-28-12, 01:19 pm
Haha, I guess you're right....maybe this IS a little too ambitious for an inexperienced sewer (or is it seamstress? no idea). I guess I'll have to find something simpler haha. Maybe I'll ask my grandmother to make me this!

Have grandma make me one too!

madelineelaine
11-28-12, 01:47 pm
I would make it like so :

cut out 4 circles. You need two inside and two outside. Then cut out a rectangle, the circumfrance of the circle + 1 inch, of each pattern.

Sew the bottom circle to the rectangle strip, then to the top, leaving a small whole. Turn inside out. Repeat with second circle. Make sure to cut out the opening before sewing. Then put the inside with bad sides together inside, place batting in between. Turn edges of opening in, sew closed.

madelineelaine
11-29-12, 05:21 pm
You need to make it in one piece. Don't try and sew a bunch of pillows together. I've done that. It's not pretty. It would work, just don't stuff the top part with anything. It just won't be pretty.