PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Is this safe?

whistlepig
11-25-12, 05:48 pm
I've been taking the job of shredding my dad's old documents. We have a constant supply of super thin, printer paper strips. I'm very careful to peel the plastics off of the bill envelopes, and I was wondering if i could use the shreds for bedding in the boys' litter box, and eventually their hay loft when i build it. I put some in their cage, under the hay rack as an experiment, and they don't show interest in eating it. (so far) Is this safe material, or am I just making a common newbie mistake?

here's what i'm referring too.

help?

bonkerzmommy13
11-25-12, 05:53 pm
I used to do this. In my opinion its very safe. Unlike my hamsters, my guinea pigs do not eat the paper. It works realy well a litter.

Agrimony
11-25-12, 06:09 pm
I'm not sure the exact safety so I don't want to make an erroneous comment here, but my guinea pig definitely eats paper, so that may be something to consider that some would eat it.

squishycar
11-25-12, 06:10 pm
Wow, great idea! My only concern would be paper cuts. My older shredder made sharp edges on the paper that would cut me if I grabbed the shreds from the bin.

It is definately a great use for all that junk mail. Too bad I can't send it back to the sender after the piggies used it!! ;)

Gforcepiggies
11-25-12, 06:15 pm
I use the same bedding. My pigs eat it a bit, but it is soft (It's old phone books) and good. doesn't put out a lot of a smell.

whistlepig
11-25-12, 06:29 pm
Wow, great idea! My only concern would be paper cuts. My older shredder made sharp edges on the paper that would cut me if I grabbed the shreds from the bin.

It is definately a great use for all that junk mail. Too bad I can't send it back to the sender after the piggies used it!! ;)

thanks for your concern, but i checked that issue out and the paper isn't sharp on the edges, it's not even straight. :)
it's actually super thin on the edges and almost feather like ;)
and yes i wish i could send it back to those idiots!

madelineelaine
11-25-12, 06:35 pm
If it isn't sharp and going to give paper cuts, and there's no intrest in nomming on it, I don't see why not.

It just isn't absorbant.

whistlepig
11-25-12, 06:40 pm
If it isn't sharp and going to give paper cuts, and there's no intrest in nomming on it, I don't see why not.

It just isn't absorbant.
since i'm not using it for the whole cage, i don't really mind. :)
thanks though!

madelineelaine
11-25-12, 06:44 pm
I would honestly recommend a fleece liner for the hay loft in stead of loose bedding. I recently made fleece liners for my 3x2 kitchen, ramp, bridge and 1x2 loft and they work so nicely. I just shake it out and wash it.

whistlepig
11-25-12, 08:04 pm
i might try both...i just felt like i had to make use of the tons of paper going through the shredder! :)

pinky
11-25-12, 08:16 pm
I've been using shredded paper to line my hay bins for a long time. Some of my pigs hop in and pee in there and the paper makes it easier to clean it out. I empty and replenish the paper once a day and refill hay in between.