Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How often to clean

kclightfoot

Cavy Slave
I have a question about how often I should clean my piggies cage. I have bottom layer of natural puppy pads, uhaul pad and then fleece. It does not smell for up to 4 days but I read somewhere that the poo has to be cleaned daily, is that correct? Is there something that will happen to the piggies if not cleaned daily? I want to make sure they are safe and happy!!

Thank you!!

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I think most people just spot clean the poops so the pigs arent walking on them. with my pig they mainly poop in there litter box with a few accidents here and there so i just spot clen poops every 2 to 3 days

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Sorry meant pigs! I have two!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I clean George's cage once every 2 days, and do spot cleaning every day.
His cage never really smells, I just clean it so often cause I don't like the idea of him laying on peed on fabric all the time. :p
As far as something happening to the piggies if it's not spot cleaned every day, I don't think so. Other than them stepping on their poo. :yuck:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I have a question about how often I should clean my piggies cage. I have bottom layer of natural puppy pads, uhaul pad and then fleece. It does not smell for up to 4 days but I read somewhere that the poo has to be cleaned daily, is that correct? Is there something that will happen to the piggies if not cleaned daily? I want to make sure they are safe and happy!!

Thank you!!
No, nothing's going to happen to your pig - it's just nice to have a clean environment, but if you don't sweep it up every day they will be fine. Most folks with disposable bedding don't "spot clean" and it's really no different as long as you have a system that is wicking the urine as it should be.

There are folks that would have you believe you need to be sanitizing the cage every few hours, but that just isn't realistic and it isn't necessary. I personally (use fleece) pull out all loose/wasted hay and poos every other day an do a complete cage change once a week and there's no issue with that, although when we had the pigs in our spare bedroom my husband complained CONSTANTLY about the urine/hay odor (he's obnoxious) so I would change bedding more often. It's really down to your preference and what you can manage. As long as your pigs are staying clean and dry you can figure out your own system and time interval for cleaning and cage changes and it's fine.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I sweep up areas the pigs sleep a few times a day because I don't want them laying in there own waste The top part of my cage gets cleaned weekly, the bottom every few weeks. They do not pee in the bottom section of the cage for what ever reason, so I have no need to change it often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.