Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mr. Buddy

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
Hi there!

I recently adopted a new piggy, his name is Mr. Buddy! I got him from the local shelter. They said he was 6 years old, but they aren't sure. He doesn't seem to be that old. He has been eating a lot lately, is that normal? I have refilled his hay 3 times yesterday. I got him around noon and filled the last time around 5. I gave him some veggies and he loves those. His eyes looked a just little crusty yesterday, is that normal? They look fine today. Also, how do you train a pig to use their ramp? He doesn't seem to have much interest in it or maybe he's just too shy still.

Thanks! And I look forward to meeting you all here!

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Guinea pigs need unlimited access to hay, so yes, he should be eating a lot.

About the eyes, I'm not sure what to say. If it occurs again, you can check on GuineaLynx, or you could take him to the vet if it gets really bad.

As for the ramp, give him time. You can create a trail of his favorite veggies up the ramp to encourage him to get to the top.

Welcome! Mr. Buddy is just the cutest name, I love it!!

And it is good he is eating a lot of hay, they should have a constant supply of it.

My pigs never used their ramps so I ended up taking it out of their cage completely.

Keep watch on his eyes, and be aware of any other symptoms. It wouldn't hurt him to go to a vet anyway to check him out since you just got him. Piggies can be good at hiding signs of illness until they are very sick so better safe than sorry. That being said mine get little crusties just in the corners of their eyes sometimes when my lazy boys don't feel like finishing washing their face, so it may be nothing :)

Thank you! I have been giving him a lot of hay. My other 2 boys, who have passed away, didn't eat as much hay as this one does! I currently have a 2x3 C&C Cage with a 1x2 upper deck. His eyes seem to be fine today, so I think he's okay. There was a vet at the shelter and he checked the pig out before I adopted him.

Here's a picture of the little guy if anyone wants to see what he looks like:
Mr. Buddy

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.