PDA

View Full Version : Q&A, Comments, Feedback about Contests

CavySpirit
11-19-12, 09:19 pm
Please use this thread for general comments, questions, feedback, etc. [email protected]

Inle_Rabbit
11-19-12, 09:40 pm
I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to suspend voting until a certain time. I have seen before when forms do photo contests and don't wait to vote the first few photos usually win just because they have been up the longest and had more of a chance to get more votes. Also I'm having trouble uploading photos from my iPhone. I don't know if this is a change or just my phone being buggy.

CavySpirit
11-19-12, 09:46 pm
No, I can't do that. I don't have the technical means and I've already got hundreds of dollars invested in getting the enhancements to the point that we can use it as it is right now.

Everyone has a 5 vote limit. Once a number of entries are submitted, people will have to rearrange their votes. And if you don't win this time, you can resubmit your photo in another contest. I'm extending the first week's contest to be longer than a week to give everyone a chance to get the hang of it. Also, depending on the success and participation, I'll see about adding 2nd and 3rd place prizes.

I concede it's not perfect, but let's just work together to do the best we can. Let's roll with it for while and see if it works out. I'm not going to allow something that ends up being unfair in the end to stand. I think it will work out, but if not, we'll make adjustments.

Pigluv
11-19-12, 09:51 pm
I am pretty excited for these contests! I think they are gonna be a lot of fun and I love the idea of the new 'LIKE' button. :)

Inle_Rabbit
11-19-12, 10:13 pm
That's cool, I was just trying to relay my experience from other forums I have been on. I think the interaction between members and the photos will be fun. The forum looks wonderful BTW.

Guineapig2012
11-19-12, 10:16 pm
Does the like button only show on other photos and not yours.

Guineapig2012
11-19-12, 10:27 pm
Does the like button only show on other photos and not yours.. Disregard message. Sorry I found my answer.

lifesvr7
11-19-12, 10:44 pm
If you post a picture and then find another you like better, can you request that the first one be removed so you can post a different one? Understandably you would lose your votes on the first picture but you never know when you might get a last minute candid shot :) Wasn't sure if that would be too much for you guys to do or not since you have to remove them. Is there any way to give the OP the privilege to delete their own posts?

CavySpirit
11-19-12, 11:46 pm
If you post a picture and then find another you like better, can you request that the first one be removed so you can post a different one? Understandably you would lose your votes on the first picture but you never know when you might get a last minute candid shot :) Wasn't sure if that would be too much for you guys to do or not since you have to remove them. Is there any way to give the OP the privilege to delete their own posts?

I designed it that way from the beginning. It's already there. When you LIKE a post, you will see the button turn from a LIKE to an UNLIKE. Just click on the UNLIKE button and you get your vote back to use somewhere else. Rather fun!

CavyMama
11-19-12, 11:48 pm
Would it be possible to have all the entries on the same page? It seems like later entries would be overlooked because they are on pages that are farther back and people might not bother to scroll that far.

Cavylier
11-19-12, 11:56 pm
Would it be possible to have all the entries on the same page? It seems like later entries would be overlooked because they are on pages that are farther back and people might not bother to scroll that far.

That's true.
Maybe if all the photos could be put into a gallery or something? Previewing all the thumbnails on one page would make it easier.

CavySpirit
11-20-12, 12:01 am
That's true.
Maybe if all the photos could be put into a gallery or something? Previewing all the thumbnails on one page would make it easier.
Sorry, not going to happen for a while.

nibbler100
11-20-12, 12:02 am
if i like something on this page will it cound tord my 5 likes? ...

CavySpirit
11-20-12, 12:09 am
if i like something on this page will it cound tord my 5 likes? ...The 5 like limit is per thread, so you have 5 for this thread, too.

lifesvr7
11-20-12, 06:47 am
I designed it that way from the beginning. It's already there. When you LIKE a post, you will see the button turn from a LIKE to an UNLIKE. Just click on the UNLIKE button and you get your vote back to use somewhere else. Rather fun!

I meant the picture you actually post, not the likes. :)

CavySpirit
11-20-12, 10:40 am
I meant the picture you actually post, not the likes. :)
Oh sorry, no, once you submit a photo, that's it. I think I would have to pay my developers more money to write a script to recalculate likes if a post is deleted. I can't afford it at the moment. You'll have opportunities to submit better photos in future contests.

nibbler100
11-20-12, 10:43 am
okay, anouther Q. lol so alot of people have been posting pics.. and i understanf you can like them.. but im almost outta likes and i wanna save what i have till the end.. but some of the pics are just cool and I'd like to encourage the poster.. can i like write out a message like this?

CavySpirit
11-20-12, 10:48 am
okay, anouther Q. lol so alot of people have been posting pics.. and i understanf you can like them.. but im almost outta likes and i wanna save what i have till the end.. but some of the pics are just cool and I'd like to encourage the poster.. can i like write out a message like this?
I know it's tempting, but no. If I allow people to write posts, like "awwww, how cute", the thread will be full of conversations and NOT photos and will take forever to look at. So, no. I'm sorry. I know you want to reply to the photos. So do I, but no, you cannot.

nibbler100
11-20-12, 10:52 am
I know it's tempting, but no. If I allow people to write posts, like "awwww, how cute", the thread will be full of conversations and NOT photos and will take forever to look at. So, no. I'm sorry. I know you want to reply to the photos. So do I, but no, you cannot.

okay, haha i thought id ask (:

lifesvr7
11-20-12, 10:57 am
okay, haha i thought id ask (:

I have been holding myself back too!

MommyOfMany
11-20-12, 11:12 am
You maybe could click the "Thanks" button to show your support without spending any likes. :) Also, is there a limit to how many pigtures you can post?
Thank you!

MommyOfMany
11-20-12, 11:14 am
Oops, sorry I found the rules page. Got it!

CavySpirit
11-20-12, 04:01 pm
I've changed the post sequence for this forum so that the newest posts are at the top of the thread. This should help alleviate the concern that the first posters have an unfair advantage. You get to see the new ones first, but the earliest entries still have a lot of exposure, too.

Cavylier
11-21-12, 09:59 am
I've changed the post sequence for this forum so that the newest posts are at the top of the thread. This should help alleviate the concern that the first posters have an unfair advantage. You get to see the new ones first, but the earliest entries still have a lot of exposure, too.

Not working for me. :(
I'm seeing Maxwell, followed by all the posts in the normal order - oldest to newest.

(I'm using Google Chrome, if that has anything to do with it.)

CavySpirit
11-21-12, 11:17 am
Yeah, I THOUGHT I had changed it. Not. Checking with my developer.

Nikkipig
11-21-12, 12:14 pm
The new layout is brilliant. :) I love the hot pink and sky blue combo, those are my favorite colors. :heart:
I also think the "like" option is pretty neat, even though I'm constantly reminded of Facebook now, ha! Definitely not complaining though.
You must of spent a huge amount of time with all of this... Shows you really care about the forum.

CavySpirit
11-21-12, 12:39 pm
The new layout is brilliant. :) I love the hot pink and sky blue combo, those are my favorite colors. :heart:
I also think the "like" option is pretty neat, even though I'm constantly reminded of Facebook now, ha! Definitely not complaining though.
You must of spent a huge amount of time with all of this... Shows you really care about the forum.Thanks! I'm really digging it, too. Time and money.

I'm getting the sort order of posts changed for this forum (more $$). I think the investment is worth having the latest photos listed first. Not sure, but maybe later today, if not today, soon.

CavySpirit
11-21-12, 12:44 pm
Whoot!! Reverse post order is working now on this forum!!

CavySpirit
11-21-12, 12:48 pm
Also, I'm bumping your VOTE LIMIT up to 10!

lifesvr7
11-21-12, 12:53 pm

Next you know someone will get upset because they posted early in the competition and they will get less views than someone who posted later. Pick you changes to suit you and save your money as you will never be able to make everyone happy lol

CavySpirit
11-21-12, 01:01 pm
Next you know someone will get upset because they posted early in the competition and they will get less views than someone who posted later. Pick you changes to suit you and save your money as you will never be able to make everyone happy lolYeah, I do my best. I do think this way is better and balances out any advantages. I'm good with it.

lifesvr7
11-28-12, 01:23 pm
How long do we have to post pictures for the Christmas theme? Been so busy I have not had time for a photo shoot!

CavySpirit
11-28-12, 01:27 pm
How long do we have to post pictures for the Christmas theme? Been so busy I have not had time for a photo shoot!

I'm considering extending this one, not sure. At least until Sunday night, of course, but not sure yet.

madelineelaine
11-28-12, 02:01 pm
CavySpirit

I think there should be some sort of rule stating that you can only win x times in a certain period, if that becomes a problem.

If the same person wins over and over again every week that's not completely fair either.

AlyssaNicole
11-28-12, 02:02 pm
I absolutely love the contests. I think it's a great way to get everyone involved/feel connected and show off their cute piggies! No complaints at all :) can't wait to see the future pigtures!

CavySpirit
11-28-12, 02:14 pm
@CavySpirit (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=1)

I think there should be some sort of rule stating that you can only win x times in a certain period, if that becomes a problem.

If the same person wins over and over again every week that's not completely fair either.

If that happens, I'll deal with it. I'd rather not add more rules unless it really becomes necessary. I want to do as much as possible to encourage participation and a fun contest.

lifesvr7
11-28-12, 02:40 pm
I'm considering extending this one, not sure. At least until Sunday night, of course, but not sure yet.

Keep me posted!

monkeynthechimp
11-29-12, 09:03 pm
Gah! I have run out of likes! Too many gorgeous christmassy piggies! Sensory overload! I want to like them all! :(

Gforcepiggies
12-02-12, 02:18 pm
I love the contests! They are a fun way to get more pigtures of your pig! And, then you have one for most holidays too!

lifesvr7
12-02-12, 03:09 pm

I am still TRYING to convince the piggies to cooperate during their photo shoot! How long do I have left??? Im sad I may miss it. Sniff!

CavySpirit
12-02-12, 03:21 pm
Okay, I am extending this contest by one WHEEK! There will be 12 winners by voting who will receive discount coupons to our stores and be featured this month on Facebook!

lifesvr7
12-02-12, 05:36 pm
Okay, I am extending this contest by one WHEEK! There will be 12 winners by voting who will receive discount coupons to our stores and be featured this month on Facebook!

Whew! I have a little more time then! What day of the wheek does it end on?

CathiiPiggie
12-18-12, 11:57 am
Can I enter a photo I have already entered in a previous contest?

CavySpirit
12-18-12, 12:02 pm
Can I enter a photo I have already entered in a previous contest?
Absolutely!

CathiiPiggie
12-18-12, 12:06 pm
Thanks lol

CinnyMinnyMommy
01-15-13, 12:54 pm
Just wondering if there was any way that there would ever be a bunny/rabbit photo contest?:heart: I know that this is mainly a guinea pig forum but I am also aware that many members also own rabbits. I would love to share some photos of my bunny Chloe:love: and was wondering if we could ever have a photo contest including rabbits?:goodvibes

pawner69
02-15-13, 09:44 am
How do you get the "like" button on your post? I added a photo to the new contest but don't have a "like" button for people to pick me. Did I do something wrong?

pawner69
02-15-13, 09:48 am
How do you get the "like" button on your post? I added a photo to the new contest but don't have a "like" button for people to pick me. Did I do something wrong?

Ooops...nevermind...I found it.

FawnF
03-28-13, 09:35 am
How do I summit my pic for the contest?

Ted - Teddy Bear Guinea Pig - March 15, 2013 (http://petoftheday.com/archive/2013/March/15.html)

ellisa
03-28-13, 08:13 pm
How do I summit my pic for the contest?

Ted - Teddy Bear Guinea Pig - March 15, 2013 (http://petoftheday.com/archive/2013/March/15.html)

FawnF, to submit a photo for the contest, go to the current Photo of the Wheek! Contest thread. In the reply box, you will notice a button that is a framed tree. If you roll your cursor over it you will see it says "Insert Image". Click that button, and it will give you the options to upload from your computer or from a URL.

Each week has a different theme. This week's theme is Easter Pigs. You may only submit one picture per each weekly contest.

Good luck!

Vintage
04-17-13, 11:55 am
I have been trying to enter a photo in the contests but for some reason I can't. When I try to attach a picture it says I do not have permission. I use TapaTalk to access the forum and usually have no problems posting pictures on other threads. Any idea why?

Pankaj Tiwari
05-01-13, 06:05 am
48729i am considering this photo's for so long time.

Pankaj Tiwari
05-01-13, 06:07 am
I am so much excited for this post.

LexiandLily
07-11-13, 07:36 am
Am I being completely stupid - I can't find how to like the photos....either I'm stupid or my computer is hiding it from me :sad:

Hhbean
07-11-13, 11:23 am
LexiandLily, there is no longer a "LIKE" button, we have to click on the "Thanks" button in the lower left hand corner.

LexiandLily
07-11-13, 12:00 pm
Ahhhhh so I'm not stupid after all! Thanks :-)

Gforcepiggies
08-21-13, 09:12 am
I really want to post videos of my pigs on the contests where a video is necessary, but I am confused on how to upload the video. Do I have to do it on YouTube first, then send the link over here, or can I just plop the video on this site?Can someone please explain this to me????

ThePigSlave
09-11-13, 05:16 am
For the Pigs and Kids photo contest, at what age would you say the cutoff for age would be. I am in 8th grade, so could I be the kid in the photo? If not it is fine, it is just that my brother can be a little difficult...lol

gusport
09-23-13, 03:32 am
Its very good for me.I love the contests!

shweta.rawat
08-08-14, 07:04 am
when that contest start ........plz tell me date...??

Princess_Piggie
08-08-14, 07:11 am
shweta.rawat no one has used this thread for almost a year now, so I think the contest has already passed, but there are regular photo contests that you'll definitely be able to take part in so don't worry about that :)

shweta.rawat
08-08-14, 07:14 am
ohk[emoji28][emoji4]

shweta.rawat
08-08-14, 07:16 am
so there is any recent contest coming on this weekend??

Inle_Rabbit
08-08-14, 07:46 am
This weeks contest has started today.

Contests will run from Friday to the following Thursday with winners announced Friday and the new contest will start.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/101748-Photo-of-the-WHEEK!-contest-Back-to-School-Pigs?p=884217#post884217

shweta.rawat
08-08-14, 08:22 am
what is back to school theme i am little confuse couz i am new here???

Gforcepiggies
08-26-14, 05:59 pm
are we still counting Pins as likes? Inle_Rabbit

Inle_Rabbit
08-26-14, 06:57 pm
Yes we are counting pins

Inle_Rabbit
08-26-14, 06:58 pm
what is back to school theme i am little confuse couz i am new here???

Sorry for the late reply. The new theme this week is piggy bums. Next week is selfies with piggies.

Miint Wichi
09-03-14, 11:38 am
How do you count the vote? I think I got the most likes/thanks for the Piggy Bums contest yet I didn't win it D:

lissie
09-03-14, 11:40 am
How do you count the vote? I think I got the most likes/thanks for the Piggy Bums contest yet I didn't win it D:

We count thanks and pins for the votes on the day the contest winner is announced. You might have got more votes after the winner was announced.

Edit to add:
I just checked the thread. Looks like all the thanks you received were before the winner was announced.
Inle_Rabbit Is there a reason Miint Wichi did not win with the 15 thanks?

Inle_Rabbit
09-03-14, 12:07 pm
Gfourcepigs had 4 pins as well as 13 thanks which made their total 17. We count pins as well as thanks.

lissie
09-03-14, 12:10 pm
Gfourcepigs had 4 pins as well as 13 thanks which made their total 17. We count pins as well as thanks.

I didn't see the pins today when I checked. Maybe they were removed after the announcement.

Inle_Rabbit
09-03-14, 12:12 pm
Ok, let me check. I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy. You can only see pins from the computer not the app on the phone.

lissie
09-03-14, 12:22 pm
Ok, let me check. I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy. You can only see pins from the computer not the app on the phone.

I'm on the computer.
I'm pretty sure people can unpin, and unthank at any time.

Cosmic
09-16-14, 06:01 pm
When is the next contest starting?

Guinepig
10-02-14, 09:37 am
When is the next contest going to start??

hatley1717
10-02-14, 09:55 am
when is the next contest?