Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Floor vs Stand

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
What do most people do with their C&C cages, put the cage on a stand (mine is on egg crates) or leave the cage on the floor? I am making the cage bigger tomorrow and egg crates are very hard to find around here. Is it harmful for the guineas to be on the floor? There is no draft in their room and no cats. I keep the house at 72 degrees.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mine are on the floor and always have been

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
you haven't had any problems with them getting cold or scared when the vacuum is running?

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
One of mine freaks out with the vacuum, but not bad. He'll go in his hidey but be perfectly fine once it is done. They certainly don't seem terrified. No problems with the cold either, but they are not at all near any windows which I think may help.

ssssarah

Cavy Slave
it's okay for them to be on the floor. they'll obviously get scared of the vacuum and stuff like that, but they'd still get scared by the noise if they're not on the floor. mine are on the floor; i originally wanted to make it higher, but i've realized i like being able to step into the cage while cleaning/replacing bedding and lean over it when i'm trying to get the pigs out, so i'll probably be leaving them on the floor at least for a while. i guess you do have to be more careful about drafts - i used to worry about mine because they share a wall with the outside of the house, but everything's insulated well enough that it hasn't been a problem.

in short, they should be fine.

Elthysia

Cavy Slave
I think it is very situational. Mine were on the floor but in the winter there can be some draft whilst we are insulating this house (we bought not long ago) room by room, so I bought more grids to get them one level off the floor. I also find it easier now to reach and clean etc. it's easier to pick them up too, rather then having to go from crouching over then and then standing up. It also gives storage space under the cage and they are in the small room so nice and tidy. I like it but I think it is personal

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
Mine are on the floor. The vacuum used to freak her out but doesn't anymore and it still freaked he rout when she was in a cage off the floor!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I used to have mine on the floor, in a 2x7, which was fine. I loved crawling into the cage and everything. Then I added a 3x2 loft, still on the floor, which was fine.

My problem was the mountain of pig laundry EVERYWHERE! I couldn't walk in my room, there was piles of stuff everywhere.

I didn't want to loose my ability to step into the cage, so my parent's and I created a wooden cage stand. It's only 14-15 inches off the ground, the height of a grid. We worked it out so part of the loft sits on my desk for support. I can still step into my cage no problem, and I can fit 5 laundry baskets underneath the stand, so now I can walk in my room!

I don't remember how I managed without this stand honestly.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I've had cages with and without stands and honestly I prefer having a stand. It gives me more storage space and is less annoying because I don't have to bend over to get them and their stuff out. We built a wooden stand about 21in off the ground and there are little holes so it is easy for me to get in the cage if I need to. But seriously if you need storage having the cage on a stand is the way to go!

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
Thanks everyone. I appreciate you all sharing your own experiences. it is now time to rearrange and figure out what to do.

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Mine are on tables that are about the height of a two grid high stand. My main purpose of having it up is because Im an old lady and had back surgery about a year ago. Its easier for me to clean it at that height and spend more time with piggies. It is also nice because it's the perfect height to put plastic drawer sets or grid storage underneath. Some seem to like to have it on the floor so they can get in the cage to clean but bending and I don't get along lol One negative side to having it on tables is that every time I want to expand, I have to buy more tables and make sure they are the same height. Someday I hope to find a had person that can help me build some awesome custom bases! Any volunteers? :D

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
My one poor C&C stood on my dresser. EHHH... EPIC FAIL.
So I made a new one and I have it on a stand. I store piggy's belongings under the stand.
I think a stand is pretty helpful. Not only does it raise the cage up higher so it would be easier for you to clean, but it makes storage.

mama_

Cavy Slave
I built an extra layer of cubes beneath my cage (it's all attached as one unit) and I bought fabric storage bins to put my piggie supplies in. It looks fantastic, it's functional, and it keeps the piggies off the floor.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
I have my 2x6 on IKEA tables that connect. The height is adjustable and it is just a tiny bit wider that 2 grids and I attached 2 together and it is a little longer than 6 grids. It gives me space to put bins under for hay, bedding, food etc. Eventually, I'll build a custom cage on top of the tables but for now the C&C works. The one thing I will say is I need a step stool (cause I am super short) to clean the loft area and to reach while cleaning even on the main level.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I would definitely have my girls on the floor if I didn't have cats. Having the cage up is making it harder for me to increase the size because I have to factor in the stand (I use those plastic three-drawer things from Target). My girls are on the floor in a kids' swimming pool for floor time (they're right by me so I watch out for the cats), and I love it. They could care less about the vacuum if someone runs it while they're out there. They used to be flighty about things overhead, but now they're pretty much complacent, so I think they'd be fine with being on the floor in a regular cage.

Kristine

Cavy Slave
Mine is built on a stand as well, just another layer of cubes and I put wheels on it to make it easier to move. I like to be able to store all the supplies underneath.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Unless I missed it, no one mentioned one of the most important reasons for having a cage on a stand. It really makes a difference in the piggies' sense of security. The less you tower over them, the calmer they seem to be. My original cage was at desk height level, so when I'm working at my desk, he was at eye level with me. Now that we have two piggies and a much larger cage, a good compromise seems to be with the cage on a one-grid high stand. I would love for it to be a bit higher, but considering the available space, it would be too obtrusive.

I hadn't thought of that it is a good point! While my cages are on the floor I am always sitting or laying on the floor by them. If it is easier for you to stand to interact with them than it is to be on the floor then a stand would be a good idea.

Kristine

Cavy Slave
I think'd be hard to take a pic of the wheels as the cage is a double decker multi-level cage so its heavy and the wheels are far under it.... But I got larger wheels from the hardware store that had bolt holes and then I zip tied them to the bottom of the cage/grids. I want hubby to make a wooden base to make it even sturdier but we haven't gotten around to it et. This works for now as long as I'm not constantly moving it. I move it every couple weeks so I can sweep around it. I have pictures in my gallery and I just loaded new ones to the multi-level open gallery too.

Kristine

Cavy Slave
Oh, and double decker (and each level has lofts too) on top of a stand does make it very tall. We have a step stool by the cage so we can interact easily with the girls on top. One side also folds down on the cage to make reaching in easier. I think a stand works better with lower cages, its harder with a tall cage like ours.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.