Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing My Guinea Pigs

Glorylocks

Cavy Slave
So this last Monday I took in two female baby guinea pigs. The previous owner didn't know too much about them so I'm not sure of exactly how old they are. But anyways here they are.
This is Cookie:
1112121909a.jpg
And this is Bonnie:
1112121909.jpg
One of Both: (They are extremely shy and won't let me touch them at all!)
1115121902a.jpg

Right now I'm focusing on letting them get adjusted to their new surroundings. And don't worry they both have a hidey house and a litter box that is full of hay. Between the two of them they eat more hay then what my rabbit does!
I'm so very excited about them and can't wait until they get used to me and become the sweet animals I *hope* they will become. So I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions so I can give these two the best quality of life I possibly can. Note: I'm really sorry about the bad pictures, but they won't stay still long enough to get a good close up picture of them. Hopefully as they get used to me I will be able to get closer pictures of them.:D

And just for good measure this is a picture of my very handsome rabbit Clyde =)
1115121859.jpg

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Welcome, you've got some very cute piggies (And a cute bunny!) Any questions you have feel free to ask, we'd be happy to help!

Thought I'd let you know though...Don't get your hopes too high for them too be sweet. Guinea pigs are prey animals, so they see you as a hungry eagle out to eat them. After a lot of work some pigs can learn to like being held and let you pet them in the cage like my Fus and Nova, however a lot of guinea pigs might never learn to enjoy being held like my Phoenix, Godric, and Ro Dah.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
What they are never going to like is being picked up. Most calm down once you get them on your lap but they despise being picked up. We have like 12 pigs in our house at the moment and not one likes being picked up but all but 3 (who were very neglected in their old homes and are getting better) calm down once you get them on your lap. A few only stand it for a for minutes but several of them will cuddle with me for nearly an hour at a time. Just depends on the pig really.

Have you checked the gender of the piggies? And I don't know if this has come up or not but make sure their cage isn't too close to the bunny as they can carry illnesses that won't do a thing to them but could make a piggy very, very ill.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Just wondering how do you have 12 pigs? ( colorado cavies)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I run a rescue. So 5 are our pet pigs and the others are all waiting to be adopted.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
OH cool! Thats such a good thing to do

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=24811]Colorado Cavies[/MENTION] Even the two pigs I have had that oddly like to be held HATED to be picked up. Nova who I rescued and adopted out, would sit in my lap all day if he could, and he loved getting pet in his cage, when I went to adopt him out, he met the pigs he was going to live with at the park in a pen, he even let the kids at the park come sit and pet him, however the second I tried to pick him up in the cage, he ran around and screamed as if I was trying to kill him. Fus, one of the girls I own, also loves to be held and cuddled with is odd, and she loves to be pet in the cage sometimes, she even went with me to therapy one when my Emotional Support Dog couldn't go, and she just sat on my lap purring and sleeping, she also runs for her life when I try to pick her up.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Welcome [MENTION=25531]Glorylocks[/MENTION]! You have two lovely little babies. With patience and kindness (and some tasty veggies) they will be the sweet animals you hope they become!

I disagree here with a bit of what has been stated. Guinea pigs do enjoy being held and cuddled. It is true that many do not like the initial picking up, preferring to have four feet on the ground, but with consistent and proper handling they will become more accustomed to it. My youngest, just over four months, has no problem being picked up. No chase, just reach over. My older male needs three pets then he waits to be lifted. We have a routine, and he prefers to know when he is being picked up vs just getting a scratch on the head. If I sat on the floor during play time, the guy in my pic would climb up unto my lap and go to sleep. I have owned an fostered many guinea pigs, and other than curious babies who could not be bothered to sit still, even the most skittish would soon enjoy being held. So, enjoy your new little babies, and welcome to the site!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@cavy_jdas I have one pig, Godric who I have owned for over two years now. She is picked up daily, given veggies while in my lap, hand fed them in the cage, ect, and still doesn't like being held or picked up one bit. It was that same way with Phoenix. I've met many pigs (Including Godric) That just sit frozen still on your lap while you pet them, or pick them up, not because they like it, but because they are too scared to move. Even Fus who will stand to be held isn't in it for the cuddles or to be held, she just wants her veggies, and she knows she gets them if I get her for lap time. Nova and Ro Dah are the only pigs I have ever come in contact with that truly seem to enjoy the act of being pet.

Glorylocks

Cavy Slave
Thought I'd let you know though...Don't get your hopes too high for them too be sweet. Guinea pigs are prey animals, so they see you as a hungry eagle out to eat them. After a lot of work some pigs can learn to like being held and let you pet them in the cage like my Fus and Nova, however a lot of guinea pigs might never learn to enjoy being held like my Phoenix, Godric, and Ro Dah.

Thanks PigPandmonium! I will try not to get my hopes too high. I do hope that eventually with a lot of work they will enjoy atleast to be pet and perhaps to sit in my lap from time to time. But if not..I will love them still with all of my heart! :heart:

What they are never going to like is being picked up. Most calm down once you get them on your lap but they despise being picked up.

Have you checked the gender of the piggies? And I don't know if this has come up or not but make sure their cage isn't too close to the bunny as they can carry illnesses that won't do a thing to them but could make a piggy very, very ill.

You seem to have hit the nail right on the head there. My babies HATE being picked up. Absolutely hate it. I have picked up cookie once since shes been home and she calmed down in my lap but she hated being picked up.
I do need to double check the genders myself but I'm quite certain they are both girls.
Also I am aware of the fact that rabbits carry illnesses that can make pigs very sick. The Rabbits cage is on the other side of the room and I try to keep things that he touches and what not away from the guinea pig cage. I hope to get a table soon to put their cage on so that I can continue to let my rabbit run free in my room from time to time without him going all around the guinea pig cage. But thanks for reminding me! :)

I just found out from the previous owner that my Guinea Pigs are four weeks old. Is there anything I need to be careful about with them at this age?
Thanks so much!

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
4 weeks old is the recommended time to wean babies from mom, were they with mom when you got them? Young Guinea Pigs are the worst about being held, they usually calm down after a year. I had a black short hair when I was a kid and he was very hostile when it came to me being in his cage until he hit about 1 year old then it was all cuddles and purrs (the only guinea pig that broke my skin). That may happen in your case, where it just takes time. Right now one of my Guinea Pigs (4 months old right now) is still very concerned when I'm cleaning his cage or my hand is doing something near him. It just takes some time to gain some Guinea Pigs trust. And like it's probably already been stated in this thread, even after owning a Guinea Pig for years their typical reaction is to run away from you, even if they LOVE being held. I really lucked out with my Otto (which I have only had for about a week), he actually comes over to my hand when I'm doing stuff in the cage (after the initial run away) and will cuddle up against my hand until I stroke his sides (then he lays in an oblique position while purring). Most cases it just takes a lot of time, and patience. But stick in there, it's well worth the reward once they trust you enough to be held, purr, and popcorn. :)

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I have one piggy that can't stand being picked up or held. You get maybe 30 seconds before he gives his little nibble that says put me back please. However, he adores being pet and begs for attention, racing to the cage door for you to scratch his head, nose, back, and under his chin. He does pretty much everything piggies don't like and doesn't like the things they usually do. He definitely has abby attitude and marches to the beat of his own drum LOL If you turn your back on him and he isn't done yet he lets loose an ear splitting wheek to let you know :) We were at the vet today and you would think he was at the spa because he had both the vet and the tech petting and scratching him and he was flopped down, eyes closed, loving every minute of it!

To the OP, you have super cute little piggies!! <3

Glorylocks

Cavy Slave
4 weeks old is the recommended time to wean babies from mom, were they with mom when you got them?

No they weren't with their mom when I got them. Could the previous owner have weaned them early? Is there something I need to add to their diet so they get all the nutrients they need? I'm very worried now..I just want what is best for them to have a very happy life.

And as a side note I am 100% sure Cookie is a female and about 96% sure that Bonnie is a female. It was obvious with Cookie but with Bonnie it seems a bit trickier. Mostly because she won't stay still..but I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.