PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Fleece not absorbment enough

Annmarie
11-13-12, 07:43 pm
I am new to this website and I wasn't sure how to ask questions correctly, so I am sorry if I am doing this wrong. I just switched from Carefresh to Fleece and I find that for my long haired guinea his behind is soaked from his urine. Is there anyway to make the fleece more absorbent? It would definatley be cheaper for me to use fleece, since I spend around $300.00 a month on carefresh. thanks.:D

Colorado Cavies
11-13-12, 07:52 pm
Fleece isn't meant to be absorbent. You need to be putting towels under the fleece. The purpose of the fleece is that the urine passes through the fleece and into the towels below it. The towels absorb the urine and the fleece stays dry and so do your piggies.

Do you have an absorbent layer under the fleece?

GuineaPiggiez
11-13-12, 07:54 pm
Hi! :) Don't worry, you're asking the question correctly! Do you use towels or u-haul pads under the fleece? Fleece bedding works the best if you have an absorbent layer underneath because the fleece wicks the pee through and then the pee is soaked up by the u-haul pads or towels, etc. Also, to get fleece to wick properly, you have to wash and dry it a couple of times on hot with detergent and no softeners. For my fleece to be able to wick, I had to wash and dry it three times (I use u-haul pads under my fleece.). Good luck and welcome to the forum!! :D

GuineaPiggiez
11-13-12, 07:56 pm
Oh haha oops, I was writing my post when Colorado Cavies posted their reply, but yeah, basically what they said, lol sorry.

piggielover200
11-13-12, 08:02 pm
Hi I found a kenel pad meant for a dog at marshels for $6.99 and it works great. It is super absorbant came in many colors ( not that the color mattered) and almost fits perfectley in my 2 by 4 cage for my girls!

Annmarie
11-13-12, 08:07 pm
Yah, I have towels on the bottom of the cage then potty pads and then the fleece. I don;t want to go back to carefresh because they sneeze alot when I use it.

Annmarie
11-13-12, 08:09 pm
I get my potty pads at costco, they are 15.99 for 100 pads.

Kristine
11-13-12, 08:11 pm
I used cotton quilter's batting (the kind you get like fabric, cut to size, but has to be cotton) and put two layers of that between fleece and then sew that into a pad that fits the cage. It's way way more absorbent than towels and with fleece on both sides it tends to stay inside where it smells less vs soaking through into a puddle.

Kristine
11-13-12, 08:13 pm
PS: I think the lining I use is probably similar to uhaul pads that I see mentioned, I can't get those around me.

jgunnoe
11-13-12, 08:16 pm
Yah, I have towels on the bottom of the cage then potty pads and then the fleece. I don;t want to go back to carefresh because they sneeze alot when I use it.

Maybe you should try just towels under the fleece, or try putting potty pads on the very bottom, then towels, and then the fleece on top. I've never used potty pads, but if you're talking about like puppy pads that have a thin, absorbent layer on top and then the waterproof layer on the bottom, then maybe that is the problem. It seems to me like the urine would not even be able to soak through the potty pads into the towels underneath the way you are layering?

Colorado Cavies
11-13-12, 08:17 pm
Wait so from the bottom up it's towels, puppy pads, fleece?

I would nix the puppy pads. I could be wrong but don't most of them have a waterproof back on them so pee doesn't leak through to the floors? Is any of the pee even making it to your towels?

jgunnoe
11-13-12, 08:21 pm
Wait so from the bottom up it's towels, puppy pads, fleece?

I would nix the puppy pads. I could be wrong but don't most of them have a waterproof back on them so pee doesn't leak through to the floors? Is any of the pee even making it to your towels?

Exactly what I was thinking! :) We must have been writing our replies at the same time. LOL.

Annmarie
11-13-12, 08:25 pm
you guys are so right, I feel so dumb. I wasn't even thinking about what order I was putting them in. I will go change it right now and wash the fleece one more time. Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

Colorado Cavies
11-13-12, 08:30 pm
Hopefully it helps! I had to use carefresh when the pig has to go to temp boarding and it was so gross! They all hated it even more then I did!

Annmarie
11-14-12, 09:35 am
I am actually suprised how much my girls love the fleece. They are more active and now with the hay box I made they have to work a little harder to get their food. I guess I would rather lay on fleece than nasty bedding too.

CanadianComforts
11-14-12, 09:40 am
I guess I would rather lay on fleece than nasty bedding too.

Totally agree to that statement! Its one of the reasons I have never looked back when I did the switch. A friend of mine had me make her some liners (a year or so ago). She takes her pigs with her when she works out of town (She stays in a Motel 8 and the staff are in love with them). She can't wash things until she gets home so she has to use aired shavings and HATES it. Her pigs are less active too. The only time I ever put my pigs on something other than fleece is when I have to leave town. My pig sitter is my 19 year old brother and its easier for him to dump shavings than it is to remember all my strict rules about fleece ;)

Peggysu
11-14-12, 09:40 am
Oh as a side note, I notice that my fleece works best after it's been used a few times by the pigs.