Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Rescuing a senior pig from poor conditions...

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm a relative veteran guinea pig owner, I've had them since age 12 and am familiar with the intricacies of their care (they need hay and veggies, non-wood bedding, prefer to live in pairs, etc.).

In 2008, I adopted 2 adult male guinea pigs, a tortoiseshell and white Sheltie and a beige roan Teddy, their ages were unknown at the time. The Sheltie, Butters, passed away in 2010 from a respiratory infection. Also in 2010, I moved out of my parents' house for college and entrusted the remaining pig's care with my sister.

I visited recently and my old pig, Omar, isn't getting the care he needs by any means. His cage is dirty, he looks like he has skin and ear mites, and his toenails are curling under his foot pads from never being cut. He doesn't get veggies or timothy and his water bottle has algae in it. He's still loud and excitable and doesn't seem unhappy, but he isn't being cared for well and at his age, I think it's a little dangerous. He's at least 5 years old, maybe older. I'm not technically allowed to have pets in my apartment, but I want to take him back and get him into better health.

Also, I took him to the vet 3 times in his first year back in 2010 for Ivermectin treatment, and he recovered beautifully from a pretty severe case of mites. For this reason, I'm not sure if his ugly skin is actually mites - he doesn't seem itchy or uncomfortable and his behavior is just way different than it was when he was sick that year. Either way, I'm inclined to be cautious.

I know that if I figure out a way to get him back and keep him with me, the first step is obviously to take him to the vet and start feeding him better. However, does anyone have any advice for caring for potentially special needs/ill senior pigs? Also, should I try to cut his nails or leave that for the vet so I don't make him bleed (his skin is very dark and his nails are very long)? This situation is new to me and I want to give him the care he deserves, he's a really great pig.

mellbutler

Cavy Slave
make sure he is not impacted...I just resuced 2 bores in similar situation and one was so impacted...I removed it and it was the size of a LARGE grape...poor boys...I wouldn't worry about the pet thing, it's not like he willing be peeing on the floor and if for some reason they find out just say you forgot or that is was just temp...hope that helps

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Pigs can be "carriers" of mites--they have them but their immune system usually keeps them in check. So even though you cleared them up two years ago it's totally possible he's having an outbreak now, since it seems he's not in very good condition. I would have him treated again.

Also, with the really long curved nails, the quick doesn't usually go even half way down the nail. What you can do it cut back a tiny bit every couple of days. I've found, though, that cutting back at the curve usually is fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.