Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I thought mites and have treated but now found this

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Ok so I rescued two boys from a family member (inlaw) and they were rather poorly I thought mites as I know that these two were purchased from a store and then pretty much left to their own devices with minimal food no hay and empty water bottles hence the "rescue" but I now need to take the guys to the vet to treat them however the vet is not a expert an we don't have one very close to us that I know of, so I'd like to draw on all of your experience so that I know what it is and what needs to be done

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352767962.870056.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352767990.775214.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352768008.206340.jpg

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I don't know for sure, so someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like it might be a fungal infection?

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
are you in the uk?

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Yup am in the Portsmouth/Gosport Area am trying to search for a dedicated or specialest vet in our area but am not having any luck, the best i've found so far is a vets4pets and they are really good and have been fantastic with all my other pets and with my first two boys when we found out that they had mites.

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
oh have found one over 1.5h away, not good

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
wow i'm in north wales but i used to live in gosport! You could try alver vet group on fareham road i think they do piggies or there is Pet Doctor over in Drayton

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Is this something that could be treated at home using the info on guinealynx?
Or would the original poster need to take them to a vet?

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
yes they definately do piggies thats where i used to go just googled it now :)

Alver Vet Group 158 Fareham Road

Last edited:

craze

Cavy Slave
It could be mites one of our looked similar to that, a series of injections fixed it

gus1225

Cavy Slave
I work at a clinic that sees pigs and it really looks like ringworm. They would need to do a fungal culture to know for sure.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looks like a fungal infection. I just rescued a young sow who had a fungal infection on her ear, Its two weeks later and it's all gone. I treated it twice a daily (If you can put the cream on three times that'll be better though, but I had school) for two weeks with Resolve Tinea or in the US it is called Monistat.
The active ingredient in both is Miconazole Nitrate.

(This is the third week and I'm still applying the cream to be on the safe side)

Fungus is usually contagious so you and any other animals can get it, some types more than others. If you wash up each time you handle the boys, you should be fine.

ETA: But since the fugas has spread all over their body (Not just on the ear) You will need to find something that you can use to put on everywhere on them.

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
see I thought ringworm but he's not showing any typical signs,

The ringworm infection is characterized by bald patches that commonly start at the head. Patches may first appear on the face around the eyes, nose and ears, and from there the infection can spread to the back.

mostly it was the scabbing on the ears a little bit whitish which is why i thought of fungus but then after watching them scratch and itch a bit and as the other poor boy has a patch of hair missing (with some short strands of hair almost as though he was shearing off the hair himself - since worked out it was barbering caused by either himself or his buddy as they were not being fed any hay with the previous owners) but they both seem so much happier after their first invectermin treatment and so much livelier.

but now after the 'invectermin' the poor guy has his mouth sores.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
see I thought ringworm but he's not showing any typical signs,

The ringworm infection is characterized by bald patches that commonly start at the head. Patches may first appear on the face around the eyes, nose and ears, and from there the infection can spread to the back.

mostly it was the scabbing on the ears a little bit whitish which is why i thought of fungus but then after watching them scratch and itch a bit and as the other poor boy has a patch of hair missing (with some short strands of hair almost as though he was shearing off the hair himself - since worked out it was barbering caused by either himself or his buddy as they were not being fed any hay with the previous owners) but they both seem so much happier after their first invectermin treatment and so much livelier.

but now after the 'invectermin' the poor guy has his mouth sores.

To me, that sounds like a fungal infection that has now spread to his mouth area.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The ear definitely looks like fungus, which is easy to treat. The stuff around his mouth looks like cheilitis. Sometimes antibiotics are required to clear it up.

There's a possibility the mouth stuff is fungus, too, but you can't really put fungus cream so close to his mouth, because you don't want him to ingest it. A vet should be able to tell what it is for sure, and some vets prescribe an oral fungus treatment.

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Iam so getting tired of VETS they are so bloody expensive and they only tell you what you knew anyway and then to top it off they give you drugs that you could've baught online for almost half the price, best start at the beginning

took patch and peanut to the vets for the above mentioned skin allergy and they checked with the black light for ringworm but there was no definute answer without actually sending off to a lab for cultures so instead we went with the treat option and they charged £36 for mycozole to treat and £30 for the vets visit, just been online to check prices and i could've baught mycozole for £19.48 with free shipping, had I known about the mycozole i prob would've just baught it online and treated myself and saved £46 to boot.

aaah well end of the day we are treating them and hopefully get better, just a word to the wise, first find out what the vet's want to treat for and if you can buy it online, cause these vet's really do OVER CHARGE!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.