PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Pads Going to try these out hopefully soon! Curious about what other cavy owners think =)

cavyluvr
11-12-12, 01:57 pm
Ok so I have tried a lot and I mean a LOT of different bedding situations in the almost 3 years I have had Lizzie and Marie. I have tried Carefresh,fleece with towel,fleece with puppy pads,just puppy pads,washable puppy pads,just towels ( technically this was temporary) and piggy bedspreads. I finally found something that works pretty well I got so sick of rolling hair (Lizzie is a silkie) off of and shaking out these huge,bulky piggy bedspreads so me and my mom figured out a bedding solution We flipped the piggy bedspread inside out so the water proof layer is facing up and then put washable puppy pads or pooch pads on top. I change the pooch pads everyday and of course sweep up at least twice a day. I don't have to change the bedspread unless they end up peeing on it which has only happened once. The only minor problem I have and this is really just based on preference is that the pooch pads are very plain and I love fleece patterns but don't want to go back to fleece so to google I went and here is what I found:NEED PUPPY DOG PEE PADS? Lily Pads are washable eco-friendly training pads! (http://www.yuppypuppyboutique.com/wapeepa.html). I can't wait to order some of these and I love all the cute patterns! Let me know what you guys think.

Cavyluvr,Lizzie and Marie:heart:

zaylea
11-14-12, 08:51 am
I use XL washable puppy pads for floor time. I believe the brand is Pooch Pads. I'm glad you posted that link because the ones I have are darn ugly.

cavyluvr
11-14-12, 03:41 pm
zaylea The ones I currently use in their cage are pooch pads and I agree the brown XL ones are ugly. I also use the smaller white ones but I wish I had more of the big ones because I only need 3 to cover the cage floor but certainly not for looks.

zaylea
11-14-12, 05:29 pm
If you have access to a sewing machine, it might be cheaper to just get some fleece and make the kind of cage liner that wraps around the edges. Just lay the pooch pads on the bottom, and then put the fleece over top.

YourSoJelly
11-15-12, 02:20 pm
Woe. That is a genius idea! I can't believe that they are actually affordable too! ;)

cavyluvr
11-15-12, 04:32 pm
If you have access to a sewing machine, it might be cheaper to just get some fleece and make the kind of cage liner that wraps around the edges. Just lay the pooch pads on the bottom, and then put the fleece over top. I don't want fleece though.

madelineelaine
11-15-12, 04:38 pm
My only concern is if they eat the puppy pad.

I don't know anything about them, of course.

madelineelaine
11-15-12, 04:39 pm
Just a thought, but you could probably MAKE those yourself.

The pad things in the picture. I've made many things similair.

cavyluvr
11-15-12, 04:46 pm
Just a thought, but you could probably MAKE those yourself.

The pad things in the picture. I've made many things similair. Depends on what absorbent material they use because I certainly don't want to go back to fleece.

cavyluvr
11-15-12, 04:47 pm
My only concern is if they eat the puppy pad.

I don't know anything about them, of course. I don't think this is the type of puppy pad a guinea pig could or would be interested in eating. That can be a problem with the paper disposable ones though.

madelineelaine
11-15-12, 05:42 pm
Okay, if it isn't paper then that should be good!

Honestly, if you don't use fleece on top then the pig will stay wet.

Unless I misunderstood.

But absorbant material can be towels or uhaul pad.

Waterproof can be tablecloth or shower curtain.

cavyluvr
11-18-12, 02:06 pm

Unless I misunderstood. I emailed the company and they said that the top layer of fabric absorbs liquid pretty quickly and goes to another flocking layer underneath so that shouldn't be a problem.

Waterproof can be tablecloth or shower curtain.

cavyluvr
11-18-12, 02:08 pm

Unless I misunderstood.

Waterproof can be tablecloth or shower curtain. I emailed the company and they said that the top layer absorbs liquid pretty quickly and goes to a flocking layer underneath so that shouldn't be a problem

cavyluvr
11-18-12, 02:10 pm

Unless I misunderstood.

Waterproof can be tablecloth or shower curtain. I emailed the company and they said that the top layer absorbs liquid pretty quickly and goes to a flocking layer underneath so that shouldn't be a problem.

ZenMama
11-18-12, 02:15 pm
You can also use this type of pad: Mattress Pads - Swaddlebees Cloth Diapers (http://www.swaddlebees.com/Products/Accessories/mpad_2)

Look on etsy or google cloth diapering forums. There are other less expensive versions. Some can be found at Target in the baby section or at babies r us.

madelineelaine
11-18-12, 04:23 pm
I'm still confused though. Wouldn't that be like fleece?

cavyluvr
11-19-12, 06:37 pm
ZenMama those don't have a water proof bottom as these do. and again it's fleece.

cavyluvr
11-19-12, 06:37 pm
madelineelaine I guess there are other materials that do the same thing.

couchon
11-19-12, 07:21 pm
I would be really careful with puppy pads. They are sprayed with chemicals to attract dogs to do their business there. I have no idea what kind of long term effects these chemicals might have on pigs. I had to give up using puppy pads for my bird specifically because some bird forums mentioned that it was not good to have the chemicals come in direct contact with the bird.

lissie
11-19-12, 07:31 pm
I would be really careful with puppy pads. They are sprayed with chemicals to attract dogs to do their business there.

The reusable puppy pads mentioned by the OP is probably different than the disposable ones that are sprayed with chemicals.

cavyluvr Those Lily Pads look like they're made from fleece.

Inle_Rabbit
11-19-12, 08:33 pm
@cavyluvr (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=18055) - I'm almost certain those are made of fleece and I believe I have seen several of those patterns of fleece on the web as most of them look familiar to me. The back "water proof layer" is probably PUL fabric which is used a lot to make water proof things like diapers and diaper bags. I don't know what their inside layer is but my guess is it is probably something like Zorb or another absorbent fabric like that. Sorry, I'd just hate for you to spend the money only to find out it is fleece. To be 100% sure try e-mailing and asking if it is fleece and state your reasons for disliking fleece to get them to tell you the truth. They may not say it is fleece because they do not want you to make your own but since you don't like fleece that isn't a problem.

Annmarie
11-19-12, 08:41 pm
Depends on what absorbent material they use because I certainly don't want to go back to fleece.

I was just wondering how come you don't like fleece? I just switched from puppy pads and carefresh to puppy pads, towels and fleece. more laundry, but less garbage.

Agrimony
11-19-12, 09:11 pm
I agree they do look like fleece

ZenMama
11-19-12, 10:57 pm
@ZenMama (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=23435) those don't have a water proof bottom as these do. and again it's fleece.

Well as others have asked, what do you have against fleece? Also, not sure how you got that they don't have a waterproof bottom. That brand and many others are used for babies, in the crib, or in a kid's bed, to keep the mattress from getting wet. This quote is direct from the site I linked. "

The best mattress pad in the market today. Made with an outer layer of laminated knit to keep your bed dry, a hidden inner layer of sherpa for absorbency, and a top layer of high quality microfleece to wick moisture away."

cavyluvr
11-20-12, 11:45 am
@lissie (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=11509) I looked at close up pictures of them and it looks different than fleece to me,but none the less I will email them and ask just to make sure.

cavyluvr
11-20-12, 11:49 am
ZenMama I don't like fleece because it attracts so much fur and hay. One of my pigs is a Silkie so it's a royal pain to have to roll all that fur off and shake out the hay ( which doesn't come off too easily) each time I need to wash it.

Kritastrophe
11-20-12, 12:16 pm
Have you tried lint rollers? After I remove all the fecal matter and most of the hay they drag around, I use a lint roller on my fleece. And I do this before washing it. It works really well for me for getting the hair and little pieces of hay and food they've moved from their kitchen. I also shake it out in our backyard before I even put it in the laundry room. :)

ZenMama
11-20-12, 12:36 pm
Let us know what you find out. I can't imagine what else it would be except maybe flannel? I would think you'd have that problem with any fabric unless it's a thin cotton fabric like you would use for quilting.

mufasa
11-20-12, 01:10 pm
If fleece attracts too much hair, play around with other fabrics. Right now I use mattress pads (the padded topper things that go on like a sheet). I get 'em in bulk at the thrift store for a dollar fifty each. They don't really attract hair; hay sticks to them, but I just shake it out. I have a weird cage arrangement right now (two large connected pet store cages), so I change the pads completely every day (or sometimes every other day for the one in the "living room," since they're not as disgusting there as the kitchen side). I use two of them per cage, with a thick layer of newspaper underneath.

cavyluvr
11-20-12, 05:11 pm
Have you tried lint rollers? After I remove all the fecal matter and most of the hay they drag around, I use a lint roller on my fleece. And I do this before washing it. It works really well for me for getting the hair and little pieces of hay and food they've moved from their kitchen. I also shake it out in our backyard before I even put it in the laundry room. :) Yes I have tried lint rollers and I do shake them but the piggy bedspreads I used are so cumbersome it's hard get a good shake and I still found rolling these huge bedspreads a pain.

cavyluvr
12-20-12, 02:10 pm
Well I currently just switched back to using my piggie bedspread with nothing on top and to manage the hair Each time I sweep up the poop (3 times a day) I roll it with a lint roller and that seems to be helping. I'm still going to order some of the lily pads as I found out that they aren't fleece they are made from flannel which doesn't attract as much hair as fleece but still does the whole wicking thing and is apparently softer that fleece.