Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Just some advice for people-never give up with your pigs :)

amys_guineas

Cavy Slave
one day a year or so ago, i accidently dropped my young guinea Daisy, and as soon as she hit the floor, she started dragging her back legs behind her and sqealing frantically....it was from about 1.5 metres. I immediately thought she was paralysed or someything, i was absolutely terrified for her. it was on a friday night and the vets wasnt open until monday morning. I brought her inside, and she wasnt eating or drinking or anything. Every hour or so i had to go up to my room and move her position, for she was just lying wherever i put her and always had wee stains up her back and legs. I washed it clean and dry and got her out and made her eat and drink. For some reason (the vets dont even know why) her back toes started falling of over that weekend. She has so nails and half a toe on one foot and no nails on the other. she was losing the will to live, i thought she would die :(.
But on monday morning, we rushed her to the vets, and she was given a dose of steroids and the vets said it was unlikely she would ever walk properly again and it would drastically reduce her life span. i was gutted. but we kept going back as the vet advised for steroid injections, and every hour i kept moving her position and feeding and cleaning her. Then on the 5th or so injection the vet said, because there is not much improvement, it might be better just to end her suffering. me and my mum went home to think about this. we decided to go back for a couple more and see if anything happened. She got a bit better and was almost being able to pull her feet under her. My mum said that 'were taking her to the vets tommorow, she doesnt deserve to suffer any longer' so we did,but i pursuaded my mum to have just one more injection, so she did. then we took her home, left her a week or so with no injections, and forgot to check how she was improving. my mum checked and said, theres nothing, but we went back and had yet three more injection over 2 weeks or so and the vet said its very very unusual for us to be going on this long, most people would of just given up.
This made me proud :) but my mum booked an appointment to get her put to sleep the following day. my mum made me go along with it. and i did actually beleive nothing was happening. but just before we were going to take her to the surgery one last time, we checked her movement. Nothing major had happened, but there was a big enough improvement for me to not give up.
so we didnt, and over 5 months she is fine and back to her normal, greedy self. im so glad i didnt give up on her and i have the most loving guinea pig ever, with great memories :)

so never give up and always keep trying, no matter what happens

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That is a great story. I'm happy for you! Be really proud of yourself, and NEVER give up. I'm proud of you! Even if I'm half way across the world from you! Good going!

amys_guineas

Cavy Slave
hehe thank you :)
amixtureofpics 018.jpg
Me with her when she had to come on holiday with us cause she was still healing, dont know if you can just see that she has no nails, i was checking them was the photo was taken :)

Last edited:

amys_guineas

Cavy Slave
i dont like having favourites, but she is near the top of the list, i love her sooo much
amixtureofpics 131.jpgon holiday outside the caravan :)

Last edited:

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
i love the pictures! yes, the first one you can tell that she has no
nails. poor girl. but, she made it! how many piggies do you have? i have 2, Darwynn and Juarez, named after the pigs in the movie G Force. you look young. how old are you? im 13! thanks for writing this! It was very helpful indeed.

amys_guineas

Cavy Slave
im 13 as well :')
i have 5, four sows (Daisy, Crumble, Star and Millie) and a boar, Harvey, who is getting neutered tommorow morning :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You should be very proud of not giving up on your piggy and very thankful to your mother for allowing you to keep treating her. It is a wonderful story.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
What a wonderful story!! She has a wonderful Piggy Mom!!!

amys_guineas

Cavy Slave
hehe thanks guys :)

EllieKRitter

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that's really tough. We just pushed through two pregnant sows (successful deliveries ), one of our boars almost losing an infected eye, and a momma sow just knocked out both top teeth, so we've the pleasure of syringe feeding her. It's been a long six weeks.
Im really comforted that your piggy was okay though, we had to move the momma and her baby away from the other mom and 3 piglets and the little one has been really stressed about it - not to mention me.
Thanks for sharing your story

AlyssaNicole

Cavy Slave
This story made me so happy. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.