Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Are there any Scottish piggie fans?

fluffydoc

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I've just joined up and was wondering if anyone else from Scotland was on the site? I thought it would be good to find out I'm not the only person locally who is so excited about piggies that I'd look on a forum.......
My piggies are 2 boys, Royce and Rickson who came to live with me from a shelter in February 2005. They were nervous little critters when they came to me but they really changed - Royce is very inquisitive and determined whereas Rickson is more cautious although still curious about everything once he's decided it's not dangerous. They like their daily runs around my living room floor (it has sanded floors but they don't seem bothered about the smooth surface) and they love being stroked.

Hope to hear from someone!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Daftscotslass is from Scotland.

fluffydoc

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I'll PM her.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Hellooo!! I replied to your PM. Good to see another fellow Scot. If you need a hand sourcing anything feel free to give me a shout.

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
Hi guys, I was beginning to feel out numbered on this site! I'm from aberdeen, what about you guys?

I don't own piggies as yet, me and my boyfriend are in the middle of designing a c&c cage and doing lots of piggy research. We want to rescue two girl piggies after our holidays. Maybe you can answer some questions I have:

Do either of you have a c&c cage and if so where did you find coroplast/correx/polyplast? Everywhere I've tried won't supply a small order or charges a fortune for delivery.

And do you know of an aspen supplier and whether or not PetsAtHome woodshavings are kiln dried?

Thank you and nice to know there are other scottish piggy fans out there!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hi - I don't think the pine shavings are kiln dried. Well the one's at my nearest store are not.

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I only want the best for my piggies, when I get them anyway! What bedding do you use?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I use towels one week and then vetbed the other. I ordered the vetbed for £20 from ebay. I also used to use megazorb before - (broken link removed) It is a UK version of careFresh (sort of!). You can check if there is a supplier near you.

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Have been looking for suppliers but the only pet shop near me is 'pets at home'. Would prefer not to support large chain pet stores who seem to know little and in some cases care little about their animals. Might try online suppliers cause at least they don't keep livestock. Lots of people talk about aspen but I think that must be an american thing? Know any good online suppliers?

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Can't find aspen over here at all. Pets at home (well, the one in Stirling, anyway. I'm in Dunblane) now stock Carefresh - £2.99 a bag. One bag won't even cover half my cage. I got my cubes from ebay and I use lino as a base which works great. Our local B&Q has recently been stocking the cubes, so you could try there? You can't get one bag of megazorb delivered, either, and there is no Scottish supplier. I use fleece in the cage and carefresh in the litter tray and that works fine.

Have you got a rescue centre lined up yet? There's a cavy rescue based in Perth (well, ok, a bit far from Aberdeen but if you really want to adopt!!) called Thistle Cavies - (broken link removed).

Online suppliers of cavy supplies in the UK

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
I already have cubes, my mum had heaps left over from a shelf she no longer uses! Waiting for responses from a few sign places about correx but if that fails I know where I can get smaller sheet and duck tape them together. There is a really good website: (broken link removed) that list all piggies looking for new homes by area, there are lots in the aberdeen area so no problem there. Busy constructing my cubes tonight so hopefully someone will reply about correx soon.

Thanks for the links, they should be really useful!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Thats where I found my rescue from! Smaller sheets taped together are perfectly fine, that's what I'm going to do for my new cage. I havn't seen any aspen online anywhere or even at pet stores. Perhaps it is more popular in America. You can try using fleece - that's available everywhere!

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
Think I'm going to use fleece on the small upper level and hope that they don't pee there! The bottom level I would like to use woodshavings but i'll have to find ones that are safe. Am going on holiday on Thursday so will be a while still before I get piggies, might still be a while till I get correx, the companies are taking forever to reply to my emails! If I don't hear from them by Thursday I'll order the smaller sheets and get them delivered while I am on holiday, my flatmate will be here to get them.

fluffydoc

Cavy Slave
Hi Piglet and Pinny Gigs! Thanks for replying.

I got my piggies before I found this site so they're putting up with a cage that's a bit too small while I get a bigger home prepared. Hopefully I'll get a chance to look for cubes at B&Q in the next few days, Homebase don't stock them.

What else do people recommend for their piggies cages?

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
Been doing heaps of research but don't have my piggies as yet. I am going to get some sort of house that they can hid in, a cosy cup (they are SO cute), a couple of tunnels, hay manger, water bottle and a couple of dishes. Don't want to crowd the cage so I'll change toys now and again, toilet roll tubes, boxes and things.

Can't wait to get my pigs, built the cubes last night, used cable ties instead of connectors cause it seemed more secure, still on the hunt for correx. One company offered me a 8x4ft sheet for £25 quid but it was going to be £22 for delivery! Busy trying to find a good online pet supplier as don't really want to support the larger pet shops as I'm not sure they treat their animals well.

Good luck with your cage!

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
As I say, use lino if you cannot find correx. It cost me about a tenner to make a 2x4 with some left over.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
i wish I could contribute to this conversation.... Sigh...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.