Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

• Thread starter peanutandpiglet
  • Start date

peanutandpiglet

Cavy Slave
Hi my name is Jamie
I have 2 guinea pigs Peanut and Piglet...Piglet is 2 and Peanut (1-2) I got Piglet from my moms friend and Peanut I adopted from Petco.

I have a couple of questions

I have both girls in 2 different store bought cages ( the ones they came with) I want to get them a C&C cage but I am worried about putting them in both the same cage, whitch is my goal. When I put them in the play pen Peanut will squirt out urine and Piglet will make nosies...When I get a C&C should I try putting them together or am I better off just getting 2 seprate cages or getting 1 cage with a divider...Or if you have any advice on how they can get along better please let me know. Thanks

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Are they both females or both males?
How did you adopt your pig from petco? When you get pigs from pet shops you are usually buying them, which is never good.

I'd do a proper introduction, which you only do once unless blood is drawn. Putting them together and putting them apart is very very stressful for both pigs; When you put them together, is it a place neither knows or nothing smells like either? Do you have multiple piles of hay and veges? Multiple hidey places, So like at least one per pig plus one extra one.
Also, what you said they do is fine, It is nothing to really worry about at all.

They are social animals, and need a buddy.

There is no point in putting them together unless you have a good sized cage.

Here is a great link for intros:
Guinea Pigs Social Life

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs Social Life

there you go try doing the following on their site and a word to the wise, you'll have to harden your heart whilst you wait for them to work out who's boss it's imperitive that you follow the directions to a tee and not whimp out otherwise it will make it so much harder to bond the pair, personally for me with my 4 boars whent thru pairing i went with the bath routine which worked a treat.

hope it helps

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Do you have multiple piles of hay and veges? Multiple hidey places, So like at least one per pig plus one extra one.

Just a quick one on the hidey's I found with my boys that the hideys had to be really open things like a baby stool which they could hide under but had all 4 sides open to be able to run any direction worked but a tube and house proved my downfall as the guys couldn't get out if they were being followed into it which upped the aggro big time and nearly went nuclear if i hadn't interviened and don't even get me started on the tube, one of my poor boys ran away into a tube which rolled so he was showing his belly and he got nipped (the guilty party was removed immediatly as he was too aggressive for the other pigs) with the hideys use something that they can easily get in and out of and has lots of space to move about if they feel cornered they will up the aggro to try and get out and that means fighting which you don't want.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Just a quick one on the hidey's I found with my boys that the hideys had to be really open things like a baby stool which they could hide under but had all 4 sides open to be able to run any direction worked but a tube and house proved my downfall as the guys couldn't get out if they were being followed into it which upped the aggro big time and nearly went nuclear if i hadn't interviened and don't even get me started on the tube, one of my poor boys ran away into a tube which rolled so he was showing his belly and he got nipped (the guilty party was removed immediatly as he was too aggressive for the other pigs) with the hideys use something that they can easily get in and out of and has lots of space to move about if they feel cornered they will up the aggro to try and get out and that means fighting which you don't want.

Yes, In all my cages I have hides that have at least two exits/entrances, So no piggies can get stuck/trapped by another one.
I'm sure that'll be a help to the newbie when doing the final introductions!

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
I have both girls in 2 different store bought cages ( the ones they came with)

Just a thought on the two cages if you find C&C too expensive and want to try alternatives, I've seen on here a pic of one enterprising young individual that cut off the sides of the cage base's and put the two together to make one big long cage??? if you do, do this though i would reccommend ultra cleaning both cages with vinigar and the lot to ensure that neither of the piggies feel possesive about their old cages.

peanutandpiglet

Cavy Slave
They are both Females, If someone brings back a pet back to petco or one of the animals gets sick then get treated by a vet, she was bought back, i dont think the fmaily took care of her good, when i first got her she was so scared and would scream everytime i picked her up...she is still a little scared but now she lets me hold her with no problems, I never seen blood drawn but also i would never let it get to that point, I do put them down on floor but ill try putting them on a towel with veggies and houses, I really want them to be friends.

Welcome!

Are they both females or both males?
How did you adopt your pig from petco? When you get pigs from pet shops you are usually buying them, which is never good.

I'd do a proper introduction, which you only do once unless blood is drawn. Putting them together and putting them apart is very very stressful for both pigs; When you put them together, is it a place neither knows or nothing smells like either? Do you have multiple piles of hay and veges? Multiple hidey places, So like at least one per pig plus one extra one.
Also, what you said they do is fine, It is nothing to really worry about at all.

They are social animals, and need a buddy.

There is no point in putting them together unless you have a good sized cage.

Here is a great link for intros:
Guinea Pigs Social Life

peanutandpiglet

Cavy Slave
I really want to do a C&C cage I just want to make sure they get along, I usually seperate them when they start trying bite each other.. when I do put them together how long should it be and how often?

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Hi, Peanutandpiglet :
Putting them together again and again, is very stressful... Only put them together the once, in nuetral territory, that they haven't been in before. Let them fight it out, but if they draw blood Seperate them, and don't put them together again.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Like I said before, you do one Introduction and unless blood is drawn you keep in the play pen or exercise pen or what ever extra large space you have for a couple of hours (I usually left mine for around 4 or more). With all of mine, they had never meet, smelt or talked to the 'new comer' before (1. because they were in quarantine for the 3 weeks, 2. because I wanted it to be all new for the intros), I just planned a day, put up a big area (mine are usually 4 or 3 grids wide by 5 to 7 girds) and kept a close eye on them for the first couple of hours, then allowed myself to leave for up to 5 minutes after a few hours.

You should not do it often, It is a one off. This is a point what I really would like you to understand, Its not like with rabbits or some other animals, It's a one off (unless blood is drawn then try again the next week or longer).

Also, Do not do it until you get a cage that straight after the intros you can put them both into (So I'm saying wait till you make or buy a c&c cage).

Make sure that you wash (50/50 Water/ Vinegar) everything of theirs if you are putting into the new cage, that way it smells like neither pig so it is no ones territory so they can claim territory together.

Sorry If I'm confusing you! If you're still confused, don't stop asking questions!

Have you read the link? It pretty much has all the info on it.

ETA:

I've copied this off Guinea Pig Social life page:
Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 7.30.51 AM.jpg

Last edited:

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
@CandyApple

IF blood is drawn, you can try again later (once it's the bite is healed).
IF blood gets drawn twice (or even just once) I'd plan to do a buddy bath next time.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
@ RodentCuddles
Ah I see, I thought it was like that, as thats generally the way it is with rodents like mice and hamsters

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.