Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Uri and not eating

• Thread starter amyjaneferguson
  • Start date

amyjaneferguson

Cavy Slave
So my little Charlie has a uri and was on baytril but I called the vet today because he quit eating. He was on baytril tues and wed but wasn't eating this morning..... So he's now on another antibiotic. I'm not sure of the name... It's sulpha/trim on the bottle? I have been giving him critical care and water by syringe. Any suggestions on how often to feed him and how much? Also do you guys think its the baytril making him not eat or his uri getting worse? Ugh this is so horrible watching your little baby feel so sick.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Are you giving a probiotic with the antibiotic?

amyjaneferguson

Cavy Slave
Im not giving a probiotic. I wasn't sure if it would affect the antibiotic.... What kind of probiotic would I get for him? Just stuff from a health food store? Liquid capsules?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
During Korra's treatment for her "URI" I used Bene-Bac. Guinea Lynx has useful information on probiotics https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

I believe your issue may likely be because he isn't getting any probiotic.

Another user swears by this product: (broken link removed)

amyjaneferguson

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I will go to the health food store tomorrow and hopefully they have something similar.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Be sure to keep hand feeding him. He can do down hill very quickly if he doesn't have constant food in his system.

amyjaneferguson

Cavy Slave
So I got some bene bac today only given him two doses but he still has no appetite.... Should it have kicked in by now?

amyjaneferguson

Cavy Slave
Ya I've been hand feeding him critical care. He shows no interest in his veggies or his pellets even after I've given him 3 doses of benebac
. Is this normal?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Yes, this is normal. Some pigs just stop eating when on an antibiotic. You should be feeding him three tablespoons dry critical care per 1kilo of normal weight. You may also consider asking your vet about other medications that can help with stomach upset or motility, if he is showing absolutely no interest in food. This may not make him eat on his own, but may help him take the hand feelings better. In my experience, I have never been able to give an antibiotic without also hand feeding. Be sure to weigh him daily at the same time. This will help you to know if you are feeding him enough, and you can adjust that amount if he is losing weight. I hope that Charlie is feeling better soon!

amyjaneferguson

Cavy Slave
Ok I wasn't sure if hand feeding the whole time was a good thing or not. He will pick at some veg or hay but not much. The poops are very soft and are becoming less shaped. Is this just because he is eating basically mashed food? Thanks for replying.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.