PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Something's very wrong

LittlePiggie
11-08-12, 08:42 pm
My mom's guinea pig can't balance herself, and she is laying down with her legs sticking out to her sides. She has a stuffy nose, and she has had a lot of weight loss. She won't eat or drink, my mom and I both tried feeding her with a needle that had water in it, and it just went in her mouth but she wouldn't swallow it. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow. What's wrong and what should we expect from the vet? Her cage mate still wheeks at her and walks all over her so we had to seperate them so she wouldn't hurt her.

Kim37040
11-08-12, 08:47 pm
Anyway you could get to a vet tonight?
How long has she been losing weight?
Has it been long since she stopped eating?

All of the symptoms are super serious.

foggycreekcavy
11-08-12, 08:49 pm
Yes, it sounds like an emergency situation. I would try to find an emergency vet. Even if they don't treat exotics they should be able to give her subcue fluids and prescribe some antibiotics. It sounds as though she'll need to be hand-fed as well once she sees a vet.

LittlePiggie
11-08-12, 08:50 pm
No vets are open tonight in my area. The closest one that takes guinea pigs is an hour away and they were only open until 7. Just yesterday though, she was running around! What happened?

Agrimony
I agree with the previous posts. I have had to drive very far for an emergency vet before, but there must be an emergency vet somewhere near you. did you try googling it? I'm only pushing a little because it does sound so serious.

LittlePiggie
Ok, thanks.

Kim37040
11-08-12, 08:53 pm
I hope and pray she is ok.
My heart hurts for you because it sounds so much like what happened with my Charlie.

Agrimony
11-08-12, 08:57 pm
I hope and pray she is ok.
My heart hurts for you because it sounds so much like what happened with my Charlie.

I'm with you on this. Sounds like what happened to my Fergus. He passed away on the way to the vets :( It hit my Fergus very suddenly, still not sure what actually happened.

Kim37040
11-08-12, 09:08 pm
My Charlie had been under a vet's care for a while. For a while it seems like he was gonna be ok. Then in a night he completely turned.
I had always heard how quickly guinea pigs can take a turn for the worse, but to see it is frightening.

LittlePiggie Please keep us posted.

cavy_jdas
11-08-12, 09:44 pm
Please correct me if I'm wrong folks, but it seems to me this piggie has slim chances of making it until that vet appointment tomorrow, and something needs to be done tonight. It seems like there needs to be some vet that would be willing to see her, and minimally get fluids going and assist in hand-feeding. And, if truly no emergency vet can be found, then you need to be hand feeding her - starting now. I don't know what is initially wrong, but you don't want to compound that with GI stasis.

Here is some useful info:
http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Sorry that you are going through this, and I really hope that she is able to pull through.

Agrimony
11-08-12, 10:52 pm
My Charlie had been under a vet's care for a while. For a while it seems like he was gonna be ok. Then in a night he completely turned.
I had always heard how quickly guinea pigs can take a turn for the worse, but to see it is frightening.

@LittlePiggie (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=20633) Please keep us posted.

I read your post on Charlie and it touched me very deeply. Fergus was my favorite when I had him, he had a very special place in my heart. He was quite old but in great spirits and health otherwise. I have always felt guilt that I was not home all day, and when I got home that evening he was barely holding on. I rushed him to the vet, holding him on my lap the whole way, and he passed away on the drive over. It is hard to actually witness how quickly their health can deteriorate. It has made me extra cautious with my current boys.

LittlePiggie
11-09-12, 02:27 pm
Hey guys, she passed away last night. We googled for an emergency vet and we were on our way, when she just had passed. It was about an hour an a half away... :( Thanks for all the help though, you guys. She's up waiting for me on Rainbow Bridge.

Agrimony
11-09-12, 02:29 pm
I am very sorry to hear that :(

cavy_jdas
11-09-12, 02:46 pm
so very sorry to hear that