Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi Everyone!

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
I'm brand new to this website and wanted to introduce myself! My name is Kelly and I am a volunteer for a really wonderful organization called Have A Heart Guinea Pig Rescue in NJ. We rescue guinea pigs from all sorts of neglectful and cruel situations, whether it is a family who is surrendering their piggie or from a kill shelter. We also go to auctions and save guinea pigs that are being sold for food. It is a wonderful organization that my friend Marci started 11 years ago and the work she does is amazing! We go to pet expos and events all over the place. We will even be at a huge expo in Secaucus, NJ in 2 weekends :) We always need loving foster and forever homes so we can place our homeless piggies. We have foster homes in NJ/NY/PA/DE. Our website is (broken link removed). Please check us out! Thanks!

I recently switched to fleece for my piggies. How does everyone who uses fleece keep up with it? I feel like as soon as I clean it, it has poop all over it again! I mean my little ones are worth it and I love to take care of them, but I am looking for a better way to keep it clean. I bought this hand held vacuum for the cages that is too strong and loud (I always put my piggies in the other room when using it). Do DustBusters work? Are they strong enough? Thanks everyone!

:love::eek::love:
:eek::love:
Kelly

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site! It's great to hear that you do this organization volunteering stuff! :)

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I love it! I started out with my one little guy Dwight and was googling cage liners and somehow came across Have A Heart's website. I saw these heartbreaking pictures of piggies that had been severely injured on a farm in PA where they were being bred for food and kept in terrible conditions. I donated to the organization and quickly became involved! I spend almost every weekend doing events (pet expos, pet stores/adoption events) and spend weekdays/nights looking for foster and forever homes, answering emails, transporting piggies...you name it. I love it and these wonderful creatures deserve it! We have 99 piggies in our rescue that need homes but we saved over 4000 :eek: I wound up adopting Chewie and Lil Momma when their foster home never came through and they were so timid and afraid that I couldn't possibly part with them. They have come a long way! Mu is my newest edition but he is still at my friend's house (this storm knocked our power out and I haven't been able to pick him up yet). Mu is special needs. We think he had a brain injury, poor little thing. I can't wait to take him home and give him the attention he deserves!

Thanks for responding to my post!

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Wow that is awesome :) Good luck with the rescue and your new little guy. Its good that there's people out there with the commitment to take care of the less fortunate piggies!

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
That is really great! If I had the room and the money, I'd love to start one here. Maybe someday. Keep up the good work! And post pictures of your pigs.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Absolutely! Its just me and my partner and our 7 piggies but i keep telling him we need to buy a 5 bed house as there is no local piggy rescue so i should run one!

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
I have some adorable pictures I'm going to post! Thanks :)

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
I tell my fiance one day I'm going to build a heated/AC/insulated barn in our yard (when we own a house) and house all the homeless piggies from our rescue in it. I better start playing the lottery! Does anyone know anything about wobbly pigs? Mu has a vet appointment tomorrow. I just adopted him and his foster mom said her vet told her x-rays are inconclusive while my vet wants to do one. Mu wobbles when he walks and often falls over and rolls. He is really cute but it is also sad because he can't keep up with the other pigs during play time. Any ideas? Mu is a happy little guy but I'd love to get to the bottom of his condition. Brain injury? The one vet said possibly E. Cunniculi but we don't think it's that. Ideas? Thanks!

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
1111122022 (1).jpg
This is Mu, my sweet little special needs guy. When I hold him, he leans. And when he lays down on the couch next to me, he tries to flip himself upside down.

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
This is Chewie, Lil Momma, Dwight and Mu...too cute!!!!1111122035b.jpg

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
1111122021.jpg1_1111122020a.jpg They are too funny lol.

KristiR

Cavy Slave
Bless you for your big heart in rescuing piggies. Even the special needs ones. Love hearing that. Do you have other pets besides the pigs? Does the rescue have a site?

KristiR

Cavy Slave
I just found the site. Sending a donation. :)

kirin no rei 77

Cavy Slave
Nice to meet you! I'm from New Jersey originally and I wish we had a nice rescue like that around me here in Virginia. You're doing very noble work and should be commended for it!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I think it may have to do with his ears? I know some pigs get held tilt. He could be dizzy.

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
Nice to meet you! I'm from New Jersey originally and I wish we had a nice rescue like that around me here in Virginia. You're doing very noble work and should be commended for it!

Thank you so much for your kind words! My director and friend is wonderful; she started the rescue 11 years ago and the work she does...outstanding. I believe we are one of only 2 rescues in NJ. Starting one is always a great idea...you would advertise for foster homes and forever homes and then rescue the piggies from auctions, craigslist, shelters...you name it!

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
I get so confused because one vet says an x-ray will be inconclusive while another says if it is related to his ears, the x-ray will show it. I'm willing to try whatever they recommend because I want my little guy feeling better!! Thanks :)

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
Bless you for your big heart in rescuing piggies. Even the special needs ones. Love hearing that. Do you have other pets besides the pigs? Does the rescue have a site?

Glad you found the site and thank you so much! It's (broken link removed). Our adoptable piggie list is at the bottom of the page. I also have a Pomeranian/Pekingese mix that I rescued from a shelter. She has epilepsy. She is the sweetest little girl!

CavyKelly

Cavy Slave
Oh and 2 beta fish lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.