Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the piggie world

elkaye

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone-

I just bought my first guinea pig last week, 3-mo-old boy named Houdini (aka Hootie). I was thinking that I would be able to give him enough attention that I didn't need to get two (whether or not you agree, this isn't the place to argue, but this was the conclusion I reached after talking to multiple people who own piggies and doing a lot of research). However, I am noticing that I don't have the time that I expected to, so I do plan on getting him a friend.

Either way, I'm new at this and am thankful for awesome websites/resources about how to raise piggies.

I do have a lot of questions about Hootie's behavior that still weren't answered no matter how hard I looked; if you have time, please look at my post and respond with your thoughts about how to work with him:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/79597-not-sure-how-work-him.html

Thanks!
Looking forward to many happy years with my piggie! =]

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum!

HaleyGo

Cavy Slave

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome! Love the name Houdini--I have a miniature horse named that.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Love the name Houdini--I have a miniature horse named that.

Oh my god, miniature horses are the cutest things and i've always wanted one. Compared to a full size horse is it harder or easier to care for one? Or the same?

And welcome to @elkaye :D

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Well, less food of course. But the same as far as time and vet bills! I find my minis to be super smart and not near as "reactive" as big horses can be, but when you come right down to it they are still horses!

Elkaye, is your pig named Houdini because he's an escape artist?

elkaye

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone!

@foggycreekcavy - he IS an escape artist! I've only had him for a week and a half, but I've noticed that he's smart and catches on quick.

The first day I had him I was building his C&C cage, and I left him in the box I brought him home in. He must have jumped out (which I understand b/c the walls are only about 6" high max, so it's totally my fault). But then I had him on a towel surrounded by the grids for my C&C cage (I was working on the coroplast part). Those grids are 14" high, and he STILL got out! I have no idea how, and I know for sure those gaps are too small for him to fit through. I can only guess that he climbed up and over the grid (which I would have LOVED to see and am still skeptical about), or he has magical powers.

I was thinking of calling him Hamlet, but after those two heart pounding circumstances, Houdini seemed appropriate. Thank God, he wasn't injured and I was able to get him back safely really quick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.