Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Rack idea

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
This is an idea I posted about a while ago but I finally found the pictures so figured I'd add them.

The hay rack in the picture is attached to a store bought cage that my rabbit is in. He only sleeps in it at night as he is litter trained and out of the cage all day. I am in the process of building him a bigger C&C type cage so that when he is neutered he can get a live in girlfriend.

One way to make a semi-messless/waste limiting hay rack is to get a plastic shoebox, tub or bin. Size of the bin depends on your cage size and number of animals.. Oh yeah, this will only work of you have a barred or grid cube cage to hang it on.

You will not need the lid that comes with the tub or shoebox so toss it aside.

The idea will be to hang the tub on the outside side of the cage with the opening against the bars. Figure out first if you want to hang it horizontally or vertically. The lower you hang it (against the coroplast or plastic pan) the less mess there will be.

Once you figure out how you want it hung then use sheet metal snips or heavy duty scissors or shears (pruning shears sometimes work) to cut out a section of the side of the tub that will be at the top. You can cut out most of the side (including the lip) or if it's a bigger tub you can just cut out a largish hole.

*Update Edit*Once I built my rabbit his new alternative C&C type cage https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8067 the vertical bars allowed me to connect this hay rack with binder clips instead of the cable ties. Binder clips would probably also work on cube grids so you may be able to skip the following step.

Punch holes on the 3 (or 4 if you just cut a hole) remaining sides near the lip of the tub (a large nail, block of wood and a hammer should work). If the plastic is brittle then melt the holes through by holding a large nail with pliers, heat it in a candle flame and press the nail against the plastic to melt a hole through the plastic. Use zip ties to secure it to the side of the cage by putting the ties through the holes you made and around the grids or bars.

With this type of hay rack you can fill it easily from the outside of the cage. The rabbit or guinea pig can pull strands of hay through the bars or grid for eating.

I used this type of system for my Guinea Pigs (until I added the hay loft) and my rabbit still uses it. It works really well. Before you ask...the Pigs and Rabbit do not live together.

Last edited:

Zeander

Cavy Slave
That's so awesome! I've been trying so hard to figure out how to give hay better. Thanks for sharing. :)

I do have a question though. Piggies don't mind pulling on or having to work to get their hay? I was worried they would get frustrated at it.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Zeander said:
Piggies don't mind pulling on or having to work to get their hay? I was worried they would get frustrated at it.
Mine never seemed the least put off by pulling at their hay to get it out of the rack. In fact sometimes they would sit and pull extra out (without eating it) just to make a pile of hay to popcorn in.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I really like this idea. I have been trying to figure something out for the boys cage so I can maximize their inside cage space until I can find room to build them a 2x4 and I have one of those hospital tubs that will work great. Thanks for sharing VJ!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
You're welcome. It really does work great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.