Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Question about adding a new piggie to the pod

Triple b

Cavy Slave
Hello! I'm the proud owner of two 7 month old sisters that I've had since they were one month old. They currently live in a 16 square foot one level habitat and also have free roaming floor time. I've been thinking about rescuing a young two month old female from a bad situation. I was wondering how different it is owning three guinea pigs vs. two. I'm completely aware of the need to introduce them slowly after a quarantine period and that there may be dominance issues to be sorted out. What I'm more interested in knowing is if owning three takes a lot more effort than owning two. If the effort is pretty much the same, I think I will go ahead and rescue the other piggie. Also, would my costs be drastically increased? I'm a student, but me and my bf do an outstanding job of giving them the attention and love and treaties they need.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Other than more poo, I found its pretty much the same as long as everyone gets along well.

ladydreamer04

Cavy Slave
The cost shouldn't increase too much. I adopted a bonded pair and a few months later rescued another. Do you use fleece or litter for bedding? that would be the only major difference in cost. I was using carefresh til I rescued Fiona then I switched to fleece. I have hamsters also that use carefresh and it was becoming expensive. More piggies= more poop/pee :) Fleece is a huge money saver. The only things is they go through veggies quicker bc you really can't buy them in bulk. Like @Inle_Rabbit said as long as everyone gets along it's about the same.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm completely aware of the need to introduce them slowly after a quarantine period and that there may be dominance issues to be sorted out

Actually, you do not want to introduce them slowly. It's best to do it all at once and leave them together.

As for costs, another major difference is in vet bills. You'll want to save even more in your emergency vet fund.

Triple b

Cavy Slave
Excellent points and thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.