Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Should I be worried about my piggies scratching?

• Thread starter iadoremypiggies
  • Start date

iadoremypiggies

Cavy Slave
I've had them for over a year and they seem to be scratching more than before. They haven't been outside. I don't know if i'm being over paranoid or if something is wrong.

sofieguineapigs

Cavy Slave
I just went through my own thread that resulted in finding my guinea pigs had mites.
They really shouldn't scratch more than 1-3 times a day so observe them.
Check their skin for scratches, but if they do bite you quite aggressively or more than usual whenever you touch them, treat them for mites. it wont hurt them if you treat them, and if they dont have any problems they'll be provented from getting them.
Ivermectin is the solution!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I had this problem but got told it was normal. Soon Noah was reluctant to come out but I put that down to him associating coming out of his cage with antibiotics (he'd been on them for a while). But then I noticed some scabs on him side and back, from biting - took him to the vets and both he and Elmo have been given a shot of ivermectin. So I'd get it checked out if you suspect something :)

Elthysia

Cavy Slave
Treat them for mites with invermectin which you can buy without going to the vet. Remember to buy enough treatment to repeat the treatment in 3-4 weeks so that you can kill the mites which hatched from eggs as these don't get killed I. First treatment. When you are looking for anti mite treatment (there are many) the ingredient it MUST have is invermectin.

a vet trip right now isn't necessary. You can't see mites and some vets do skin scrapings which most of the time don't show mites anyway but are very painful to piggy (the scraping)

Treat both (all) pigs.

If that doesn't help, keen an eye out for fungus as that could be second option but less likely than mites.

both of these options can be developed without going outside etc. so e pigs carry them for ages before it becomes active. Parasites and fungus can come from hay for example. It's hard to prevent but easily treatable and not costly. If the invermectin doesn't make it better, then perhaps a vet visit is in order.

goodluck and let's us know how you get on :)

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I notice all my animals tend to scratch a little more this time of year. I think its because the air becomes more dry when its colder and especially when we turn on the heat.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I just treated my two with revolution.

If it's abnormal for them, then you should be on high alert.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If there's no hair loss or bald patches, I wouldn't worry about it. All pigs scratch from time to time, and as was mentioned, when the air is dry some pigs get dry skin and itch more than usual.

Keep an eye on them. If they start losing large amounts or hair of begin wounding themselves from scratching, definitely treat for mites.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Your piggies might just have mites. Pay close attention to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.