Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Cupcake Medical Thread

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Well, Monday afternoon my girls were diagnosed with a mild URI. I was super lucky and caught it very early, and they seem to be doing better for the most part. I just have a few question for anyone who has dealt with their piggies having a URI

1. Their appetite isn't HORRIBLE, they're still eating their veg, for the most part. They are barely nibbling their carrots, though, which worries me. It's their favorite. (I'm actually watching Dot nibbling right now. It's like THEY KNOW they're being discussed...). But they're definitely not eating as much as they usually do. They're eating their hay, too, just not as outrageously as they usually do. Any tips on keeping their tummies filled?

2. Cupcake seems unusually interesting in Dot's bum. They're not in heat (at least, I'm pretty sure they aren't), so should I be worried?

3. I have a question about their poops. Normally they're slightly smaller than they are now, and much more pill shaped. Now they seem a bit more..banana or coffee bean shaped. I have a picture, I'll add somewhere in this post. Do they look normal? And if not, do you think it could be an issue with the meds they put them on? I've read that sometimes prescriptions can be tough on their tummies... The pic is two of the worst offenders. The other poops aren't nearly as pointy on the end, but...well I figured if they existed, I may as well show that "bad" ones...

1102121852.jpg

4. About how long should they be on the meds? My vet said 10 days, and then to come back for a checkup, but I'm just curious what other people's experience has been. Does it seem to take weeks and weeks for them to completely recover? Or is one cycle of meds usually enough to get it out of their systems?

I'm just a little paranoid, and want to be sure I know what to expect in the coming days..

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
In reverse order....

4. A typical course of antibiotics is three weeks. The 10-day recheck may be to see that the medications are doing their job as planned, to ensure that nothing needs to be changed. They can look fine sooner, but it's always good to to the full course so that nothing returns.

3. The poops look fine.

2. I wouldn't be worried. When one pig is ill, they sometimes seek out the poo of another (get's the good gut bacteria going again) - I am thinking it may just be that.

1. This is the most important - continue to CLOSELY monitor food & water intake and poops (number and shape). If they stop eating, you need to step in - syringe feeding - before their digestive track shuts down. You should also weight them daily at the same time. If they are losing weight (eating some but not enough), you'll also need to supplement some of the feeding.

Good luck!

KittyKrochet

Cavy Slave
Thanks for reassuring me! I'm definitely going to continue the meds if the vet gives them to me! My parents think I'm nuts taking piggies to the vet (unfortunately, until I or the boyfriend get a full time job, they're the ones bankrolling this whole operation).

It makes me feel much better, knowing that things seem to be normal. They are still eating their pellets, which makes me happy, and they're not lethargic anymore. They're up and about and squeeky. Never knew I would be so over the moon to see them screaming at me to give them breakfast! Haha.

I think I might need to syringe feed them some water, though. I'm not sure. They are drinking, but I'm paranoid. I've had work and classes most of the day, so I haven't been around to hear or see them going at the water bottles. They aren't huge drinkers, normally, so I think I'm just being overly cautious. That's one of the reasons why I'm so gah about keeping track of the poops.

Also: Is it weird that they get super excited about taking their meds?! They don't wheek over it, but they can't wait to get meds in their tummy. And then they don't wanna give me the syringe back! xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.