PDA

View Full Version : New:))

SingMeAHarmony
10-31-12, 05:01 pm
Hi everyone:))

You can call me Harmony! I recently got my first two guinea pigs about a month ago! Slim Shadow (or Shadow) is a black long haired baby guinea pig. Jazzmine is a multicolored long haired baby guinea pig as well. They were both part of the same litter (correct me on my terminology if I'm wrong) and were born in June or July if I can remember correctly.

One important thing is that I believe Jazzmine is pregnant! I probably should have taken them both to the vet to find out their genders but that's in the past... However, it's not a sure thing yet! She is noticeably bigger than Shadow but I'm hoping to take her to the vet soon to find out. I'll probably be posting lots of questions about her pregnancy!

If you didn't already know, I'm part of what I believe is a neighboring website (they're very similar) called horsegroomingsupplies.com so I'm not stranger to these types of forums.

Thanks!
Harmony

doglaurasmudge
10-31-12, 05:09 pm
Hi! I'll have to make my reply short and quick because I have to go like RIGHT NOW. xD But I can't not say hi to a new user! I'll reply to this thread tomorrow probably, depends. Anyway, welcome to the forum! Can you post pictures of your piggies? We'd love to see them! I'm not much use in pregnant guinea pigs, but oh well, I try to help where I can! I suppose I just want to admire over somebody guinea pig's as I haven't got my own to yet, I think I'll get mine in summer, it'll be better for them! Anywho, got to go, I'm sure your piggies are lovely! Good luck if she is pregnant.

SingMeAHarmony
10-31-12, 05:11 pm
Thank you! And yes, I just identified and they're opposite genders xD Lol, whatevs.

Colorado Cavies
10-31-12, 05:37 pm
Thank you! And yes, I just identified and they're opposite genders xD Lol, whatevs.

I'm sorry but Lol whatevs is NOT the right attitude to have about this very serious situation. Guinea pigs getting pregnant (which according to your other thread you are pretty sure she is) is VERY dangerous and 1 out of 5 die giving birth. If that was a joke it was in very poor taste. If that was serious you need to knock it off and realize how serious your situation is. Your pigs are inbreed. Thats beyond dangerous.

That said welcome to the site. A lot of people on here have worked rescue where there are pregnant pigs or had accidental litters so there is lots of good advise out there that I will leave for your other thread about the pregnancy. I'm sorry that top bit is so harsh but having lost 2 pigs to pregnancy it's a real problem for me to see that sort of attitude.

SingMeAHarmony
10-31-12, 05:53 pm
I'm sorry but Lol whatevs is NOT the right attitude to have about this very serious situation. Guinea pigs getting pregnant (which according to your other thread you are pretty sure she is) is VERY dangerous and 1 out of 5 die giving birth. If that was a joke it was in very poor taste. If that was serious you need to knock it off and realize how serious your situation is. Your pigs are inbreed. Thats beyond dangerous.

That said welcome to the site. A lot of people on here have worked rescue where there are pregnant pigs or had accidental litters so there is lots of good advise out there that I will leave for your other thread about the pregnancy. I'm sorry that top bit is so harsh but having lost 2 pigs to pregnancy it's a real problem for me to see that sort of attitude.

I'm sorry if it came off as rude to you, what I meant by it is that what's done is done- Jazzmine is pregnant, and yes I made a mistake in not identifying that they were opposite genders before I bought them, but right now I need to leave that be and just focus on her pregnancy. I understand you're looking out for me; on the forum I posted above that I belong to I look out for fellow players, as I've lost two horses myself.

That being said thank you!

Colorado Cavies
10-31-12, 06:08 pm
I totally understand. And you are right there isn't anything you can do to change it. Thanks for not being offended! It's a very knee jerk thing for me right now since the most recent loss was less then 2 months ago. I haven't stopped crying for the last few days so my reaction was worse then normal!

SingMeAHarmony
10-31-12, 06:11 pm
I totally understand. And you are right there isn't anything you can do to change it. Thanks for not being offended! It's a very knee jerk thing for me right now since the most recent loss was less then 2 months ago. I haven't stopped crying for the last few days so my reaction was worse then normal!

It's okay, I know the feeling:)) My horse died in January and I still get that hesitant feeling when I hear her name.. Like I said, on the other forum people can be pretty malicious but deep down is the best interest at heart.

LithiumRiot
10-31-12, 07:56 pm
Hi there!

If they're opposite genders, you should separate them.
If you cant separate the cage, you can put the male in a playpen or a laundry basket. You can get the male fixed and after I think 2-3 weeks after the operation, you can put him back in the cage with her.

What cage set up do you have? Is it a C&C or a store bought type cage. Cause If it's a C&C cage you can make a wall with grids to separate the piggies.

2198lindsey
10-31-12, 08:31 pm
Welcome, we'd love to see some pictures of your pigs!

SingMeAHarmony
11-01-12, 08:12 am
Hi there!

If they're opposite genders, you should separate them.
If you cant separate the cage, you can put the male in a playpen or a laundry basket. You can get the male fixed and after I think 2-3 weeks after the operation, you can put him back in the cage with her.

What cage set up do you have? Is it a C&C or a store bought type cage. Cause If it's a C&C cage you can make a wall with grids to separate the piggies.

It's a store bought cage with high solid walls and extra gridding along to top, so I won't have to make any changes once the babies are born. Thank you for the advice! I'll separate them ASAP

LithiumRiot
11-01-12, 08:29 am
How big is the cage? Often times, store bought cages aren't that big, and are certainly not big enough for two guinea pigs.

If you have the room you should look into getting a C&C cage. Compared to store bought cages they're super cheap! And you can either sell your store bought cage to get some money after you make a new cage, or use the store bought one for transportation or to put the piggies in when you clean the C&C cage.

If you want to make a C&C (highly recommended), I can help you find supplies and such!

SingMeAHarmony
11-01-12, 08:47 am
How big is the cage? Often times, store bought cages aren't that big, and are certainly not big enough for two guinea pigs.

If you have the room you should look into getting a C&C cage. Compared to store bought cages they're super cheap! And you can either sell your store bought cage to get some money after you make a new cage, or use the store bought one for transportation or to put the piggies in when you clean the C&C cage.

If you want to make a C&C (highly recommended), I can help you find supplies and such!

If Jazzmine has more than two babies with Shadow separated, I'll definately need to make a new cage. I have one question... What do you put on the bottom of the cage to serve as bedding?

LithiumRiot
11-01-12, 08:53 am
You could get shadow fixed, then you could put him in the same cage. Although, im not sure the risks on that. So i'd do some research on that then.

I suggest building a 2 story 2x4 cage. One story for the male(s) and one story for the females (without a ramp to connect the 2 stories). Then they'd all have good space and you wouldnt have to make a cage that takes up a lot of room.

For bedding you can either use traditional bedding (carefresh or whatever you use now) or you can use fleece. Because of the size of a C&C cage, i suggest fleece.

If you have old fleece blankets, that will work for anything as large as a 2x4 cage.

SingMeAHarmony
11-01-12, 08:56 am
You could get shadow fixed, then you could put him in the same cage. Although, im not sure the risks on that. So i'd do some research on that then.

I suggest building a 2 story 2x4 cage. One story for the male(s) and one story for the females (without a ramp to connect the 2 stories). Then they'd all have good space and you wouldnt have to make a cage that takes up a lot of room.

For bedding you can either use traditional bedding (carefresh or whatever you use now) or you can use fleece. Because of the size of a C&C cage, i suggest fleece.

If you have old fleece blankets, that will work for anything as large as a 2x4 cage.

I was thinking of making a large cage in the shape of a V and then separate it at the center. Jazzmine and Shadow are always calling to each other when they are separated and I'd hate to break that bond. I'll probably line the bottom with plastic and then cover it with newspaper or something.

LithiumRiot
11-01-12, 09:00 am
That sounds like a good plan! Make sure that it's large enough for all the piggies.

Newspaper isnt really good bedding material, as it gets very smelly, very fast. And it gets damp. You should take a look at the bedding section of the forum.

SingMeAHarmony
11-01-12, 09:05 am
That sounds like a good plan! Make sure that it's large enough for all the piggies.

Newspaper isnt really good bedding material, as it gets very smelly, very fast. And it gets damp. You should take a look at the bedding section of the forum.

Ok, cool, thanks!!!

RodentCuddles
11-01-12, 10:43 am
I would just like to point out that having their cages right besides one another, he will always be trying to get back to her.
If you want to keep them together, I'd get him fixed and then give away any male babies she has (you could keep the girls) and then house him, and her in the same cage and if you're going to keep any female babies then they can live with them too.
Also a 2x4 really is too small for more then one male, as if you are going to keep the male babies I always say at least a 2x5 for two, but a 3x4 or 3x5 is better as when they hit puberty the younger/submissive ones get testy towards the older/dominant

LithiumRiot
11-01-12, 10:58 am
Ah, I've never kept boars, so I didnt know they needed different size accommodations. Sorry bout that!

RodentCuddles
11-01-12, 11:02 am
Ah, I've never kept boars, so I didnt know they needed different size accommodations. Sorry bout that!

They don't need them, but I think it's better to give them bigger ones so it'll save you for any future fights if they have any.

SingMeAHarmony
11-01-12, 12:21 pm
I would just like to point out that having their cages right besides one another, he will always be trying to get back to her.
If you want to keep them together, I'd get him fixed and then give away any male babies she has (you could keep the girls) and then house him, and her in the same cage and if you're going to keep any female babies then they can live with them too.
Also a 2x4 really is too small for more then one male, as if you are going to keep the male babies I always say at least a 2x5 for two, but a 3x4 or 3x5 is better as when they hit puberty the younger/submissive ones get testy towards the older/dominant

Okay, thanks. I just remembered I had some old caging to make a C&C so I'm right on that.