Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animart??

Timmeh

Cavy Slave
God, I dont understand this place... ITS CRAZY. They have a LOVELY interior in there pet shop..yada yada. But If you could see the gp cages you would realize they are 10 GALLON TANKS. It makes me so frustrated.. Here is there website. Go to the animal supplies part and you will see a pic of what it looks like on the inside.. Have any of you heard of Animart??? www.animart.com

Timmeh

Cavy Slave
Go to the photo tour.. You will see the guinea pig cages there.. It has a sign on the photo that says "fuzzy wuzzy"

amfeider

Cavy Slave
the link doesn't work.

Timmeh

Cavy Slave
It doesnt? well type the same thing in your adress bar.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Where's the photo tour?

Edit- Nevermind, found it!

Those cages are SO SMALL! Oh my gosh.. Yes it looks very nice, but look at how crowded those poor animals are!

Timmeh

Cavy Slave
I know! Its so depressing to me... I went into one of the stores once.. And saw a very large, sad cavy. I asked to hold him... And when he came out his nails were long :( It was so sad. He looked so depressed. They said a family gave him to the store because they didnt want him anymore :( All the other cavys had a cage mate, he was all alone :(

amfeider

Cavy Slave
I got It to work but those cages look tiny!!!

Timmeh

Cavy Slave
I know! It is so messed up, because all the little gps are in those oval tanks, there pretty big (for a pet store) But all the big gps are crammed into 10 gallons! Probobley because all the little kids want "babies"... Makes me sick.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
It looks like a beautiful store - shame they spent all their money on the decor rather than the cages *sighs*

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, they have a contact us option on there web site. I am writing a letter to them to complain about there horrible cage sizes. I also wrote them and said that if they really wanted to help educate people on proper animal care, they should practice (sp?) what they preech. :0)

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Timmeh said:
God, I dont understand this place... ITS CRAZY. They have a LOVELY interior in there pet shop..yada yada. But If you could see the gp cages you would realize they are 10 GALLON TANKS. It makes me so frustrated.. Here is there website. Go to the animal supplies part and you will see a pic of what it looks like on the inside.. Have any of you heard of Animart??? www.animart.com
I tried to send letter, the "contact button" keeps giving me error. I am going to call them and let them know what I think. Then maybe they will think. Every person that calls/sends letter, will help. ;)

Letter I tried to send:

To whom it may concern,
I got this web site from a forum off of cavyspirit.com. Seems there are some angry G-Pig owners out there. Your petstore intro page states that your goal is to educate people on proper pet care. DO you even know what proper pet care is for a guinea pig? May be you should visit Cavyspirit.com for proper care info for guinea pigs.
Your enclosures are too small. You need to have a min. 2x3 for one g-pig, 2x4 for two. Plus, if you really wanted to show that you care for animals and are really making an effort to help unwanted ones, you would ONLY adopt out unwanted animals (including g-pigs).
You would not sell any, or get any from a breeder. NO matter how responsible breeders are, they all have the almighty dollar as there primary goal. Not only that, they are contributing to the homeless animal problem.
So, how are you helping again? By praying off the ignorance of society? If you want to really help out, get bigger enclosuers for your animals, and start adopting unwanted g-pigs out. There are thousands of them out there over-flowing rescues and shelters.
Thank you,
Mary.

Timmeh

Cavy Slave
That is a very true letter, Mary. I will try to send them a letter stating what I feel too :)

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
There is no point in getting all angry at them when it's probably the case that they don't know better. They need a calm, factual email explaining to them what we perceive to be the best environment for their cavies. You could also explain to them that there are also regulations governing the size of animal cages, so they must do something about it.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I did that already.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, thats a good idea. I think that they do know what is expected by law. They find this out when they start a bussiness. I read that the guinea pig only has to have a 10in x 10inch enclosure by law. I think it states that on cavyspirit somewhere (under their animal laws section). So, I am sure they are with-in the law already. What mad me upset was their claim to want to support adopting animals. That kind of claim coming from a petstore that sells animals always makes me mad. I have not sent them anything yet. I think they could use a few letters full of info on proper care of animals. Funny they have that on their intro page. They say that they are for proper care of animals. Kinda' contradicting, huh? :0)
daftscotslass said:
There is no point in getting all angry at them when it's probably the case that they don't know better. They need a calm, factual email explaining to them what we perceive to be the best environment for their cavies. You could also explain to them that there are also regulations governing the size of animal cages, so they must do something about it.

bromers

Cavy Slave
Fuzzy wuzzy, how sad evan my baby brother does'nt say that. I said fuzzy wuzzy guinea pig to him and he gave me a dirty look. I think there cages are way to small.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Where's the photo tour? I'm a bit tired to actually put the effort in... Yes... pressing down on the keyboard and clicking a mouse can really take it out of you...

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Scratch that... I found it

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Are They Kidding??? I Thought Those Were The Fishtanks.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
That store sure is beautiful. It's a shame they can't just deal in supplies because it looks like a nice place to go. I wonder what the economics are that drive these shops to sell the animals too. It seems like the cost and complexity of caring for and selling animals would discourage it, and I would think that the markup on pet supplies ought to be enough to support a store.

The PetSmart where we got Hoove and Einie has much the same setup. They use cages that are glassed on one side and look like small fishtanks. Each one holds two pigs. They are always very clean and they always have vegetables that look fresh and of the appropriate type, but there is no way a pig could run in one of those cages, they couldn't really even take short stroll. They put in hidey houses, so then there is only room for one pig to come out to eat. The pigs spend most of their time sleeping in the house, understandably.

I thought the pigs were more reclusive than they really are, because they don't tend to come out much in the shop, no matter what time of day you go. At home, even though they often sleep in the shelter, they like to do it with their heads sticking out the doors so they can see what's going on with the family (and in case of food.) And they often prefer to nap other places in the enclosure, and they spend their waking time outside the shelter anyway, eating hay or running around. If you wanted to showcase pigs, you would have to give them the room to do all these things.

But I think you all are right; the motivation for selling animals in these conditions has to be money. Giving one pair of pigs enough room (in our local shop that would mean giving them almost ALL the space now allotted for the pigs, hamsters, and rats) is not cost-effective. So - to discourage them, you have to make it unprofitable to sell the animals, by either reducing the market (don't buy) or increasing the cost (change the regulations for housing and care, litigate and get fines levied whenever you can). Letters don't address the basic fact that profit is the motivator. (I'm not saying don't write them, they might make a difference sometimes, but they can't reduce the market or increase the cost.)

I know you guys have already thought through all this, but I'm new to considering it. Our PetSmart does not sell dogs or cats, but they do sell birds, fish, reptiles, and small animals. Are fish all right to sell? I don't know the first thing about what they need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.