Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin Dosing

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! We suspect that our pigs have mites, so we have Ivermectin. The only problem is that I don't think that we have a very accurate scale. It is not electronic, so I'm not sure if it is reliable enough. I've been very afraid to give the pigs Ivermectin because I have read some of the stories of overdosing. This is my scale, and the kind of ivermenctin that I have:
Is this scale accurate enough to use?
Is this type of ivermectin fine?

scale.jpgivermectin.jpg

Thank you!

PS I will post my three pigs' weight in a little bit. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That scale is fine -- it's the one I use.

And the ivermectin is fine also. But you'll need a 1 cc insulin syringe that has no needles to accurately measure the dose. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html.

Please read those dosing instructions carefully, because that ivermectin is intended for a very large animal, and you're going to dilute it a LOT and give only a tiny bit to a small animal.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
That scale is fine -- it's the one I use.

And the ivermectin is fine also. But you'll need a 1 cc insulin syringe that has no needles to accurately measure the dose. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html.

Please read those dosing instructions carefully, because that ivermectin is intended for a very large animal, and you're going to dilute it a LOT and give only a tiny bit to a small animal.

Thank you!!!

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Will this work? It doesn't have a needle, and it goes up to 6 ml/cc.

image-1104008978.jpg

@bpatters

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, that's a 5cc syringe, and you're going to be measuring just a few tenths of one CC. You need one the size of an insulin syringe. If you tell a pharmacy that you want it for dosing an animal, they might give you one.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
If there is an American Science and Surplus or other similar supply store near you, they sometimes sell tiny syringes (without needles) no questions asked. That's where I got mine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.