Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello I'm Lindsey!
I'm really excited about finding a forum for the animals I love the most!
I currrently own one guiena pig, a 6 year old brindle American satin sow. Tommorow evening I will be going to go pick up two more babies to add to my herd and I'm pretty excited about it! I am very much an animal person, and I am involved with showing dogs but am curious to know about the showing world of guinea pigs. This goes out to any of you who are active in the ring out there, how similar is it to dog showing? Are there standards? Is there a handler? What would it require for me to become active in showing?
Thanks everyone and I will love to see what everyone has to say!

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
If I recall correctly, most people on this forum are against showing guinea pigs because guinea pigs get so stressed out when in new situations and when traveling. I may be wrong but others will chime in. Welcome to the forum :)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
This site is very anti breeding and I think people are also anti showing (since you have to breed a LOT to get a show worthy pig usually) So I don't think this is the best place to get advise on showing pigs.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Thanks for letting me know, that is also something I never thought about! Dogs I can understand would take to it better and this makes a lot of sense, thank you both for bringing this to light.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Please think about getting your pigs from a rescue and not a breeder. Breeders do lots of bad things, and by buying pigs from them, you encourage it. Personally I'm also against dog showing, though guinea pig showing is worse since they are prey animals and easily scared.

mwhit2101

Cavy Slave
Thats awesome..do you know, is duct tape OK for guiena pigs to nibble on? :/ Plz reply! :)

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I have 3 pigs, all came from rescues, none from breeders. I run a rottweiler rescue as long as breed for showing and I understand how guinea pig showing can be a lot different.
Welcome! Please think about getting your pigs from a rescue and not a breeder. Breeders do lots of bad things, and by buying pigs from them, you encourage it. Personally I'm also against dog showing, though guinea pig showing is worse since they are prey animals and easily scared.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
Thats awesome..do you know, is duct tape OK for guiena pigs to nibble on? :/ Plz reply! :)

I understand you're new to piggies, but I think this question is common sense. Would you nibble on duct tape? I think not xD So no, duct tape is not ok for a pig to nibble on

Im just curious what cage setup you have. Just because 3 guinea pigs require a lot of space and I just wanna know that your piggies will be comfortable and happy :)

Also make sure to quarantine the 2 new piggies for 2-3 weeks, and make sure they are all females. Wouldn't want your old sow to get pregnant, now would we?

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I actually converted an old dog crate from before I switched which breed I was showing and it's 4x4 with 2 other levels that are also 4x4. i will be getting a C&C cage very soon. I had my old sow and a male once before and we thought he was neutered but turned out not to be so we almost had a pregnancy. Was very scary because her pelvic bones had fused together and she might have died trying to pass them, luckily her body absorbed the babies. These new two have been vet checked and are in fact females.

I understand you're new to piggies, but I think this question is common sense. Would you nibble on duct tape? I think not xD So no, duct tape is not ok for a pig to nibble on

Im just curious what cage setup you have. Just because 3 guinea pigs require a lot of space and I just wanna know that your piggies will be comfortable and happy :)

Also make sure to quarantine the 2 new piggies for 2-3 weeks, and make sure they are all females. Wouldn't want your old sow to get pregnant, now would we?

mwhit2101

Cavy Slave
It's a really big cage.. enough for at least four. But ok I made duct tape mat for him and flowers to lighten up his cage and its common for them to nibble on things so yeah.

mwhit2101

Cavy Slave
Yeah. Seriously. :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.