PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Other Bedding??

pixiebells
10-23-12, 06:48 pm
I'm just wondering what some other good choices are for bedding besides fleece? I live in an apartment and we have to pay to use the washer and dryer so i'd rather not use fleece! I've heard good things on cardboard based beddings, but am not familiar with any certain brands! Could you guys give me some insight? I know to stay away from pine and cedar and I really don't care for aspen! :)

cassielfsw
10-23-12, 06:56 pm
I live in an apartment too and I use fleece. It's about $3 to wash and dry a load of laundry. If I have one load of piggy laundry a week, that's still a LOT cheaper than covering over the entire cage with Carefresh once a week. Something to think about.

pixiebells
10-23-12, 07:05 pm
I live in an apartment too and I use fleece. It's about $3 to wash and dry a load of laundry. If I have one load of piggy laundry a week, that's still a LOT cheaper than covering over the entire cage with Carefresh once a week. Something to think about.

I will definitely have to think that over more then. Plus it would be a bit more fun to have cute fleece! It was just really hard to upkeep with cleaning the fleece with my rats, but I may give it a shot! Thank you for your input :) I really do appreciate it! May i ask what you use to wash your fleece? (detergent, vinegar, ect?) and do you put it in a laundery bag to prevent leftover poopies getting in the machines? (and hair, lol)

cassielfsw
10-24-12, 05:43 am
I will definitely have to think that over more then. Plus it would be a bit more fun to have cute fleece! It was just really hard to upkeep with cleaning the fleece with my rats, but I may give it a shot! Thank you for your input :) I really do appreciate it! May i ask what you use to wash your fleece? (detergent, vinegar, ect?) and do you put it in a laundery bag to prevent leftover poopies getting in the machines? (and hair, lol)

I use free and clear detergent. I don't use a laundry bag but when I sweep up the poops every day I go over it pretty obsessively and get all of the hay bits too, and as much hair as will come up. Then before it goes in the laundry I go over it with this cat grooming mitt I found at Petco (this one (http://www.amazon.com/Petco-Cat-Hair-Remover-Mitt/dp/B004R265OW/ref=sr_1_26?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1351078821&sr=1-26&keywords=cat+grooming+mitt)) and come up with a good handful of hair. :p I clean the lint screen in the dryer before and after I use it. There is still a little bit of piggy hair in the screen after my load but not too much.

pixiebells
10-24-12, 09:45 pm
I use free and clear detergent. I don't use a laundry bag but when I sweep up the poops every day I go over it pretty obsessively and get all of the hay bits too, and as much hair as will come up. Then before it goes in the laundry I go over it with this cat grooming mitt I found at Petco (this one (http://www.amazon.com/Petco-Cat-Hair-Remover-Mitt/dp/B004R265OW/ref=sr_1_26?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1351078821&sr=1-26&keywords=cat+grooming+mitt)) and come up with a good handful of hair. :p I clean the lint screen in the dryer before and after I use it. There is still a little bit of piggy hair in the screen after my load but not too much.

Thank you! I read more into fleece and I had no idea about pre-washing it! I'm going to be giving it a try and use the uhaul padding under :) Thank you for your help! I'll be sure to tell you how it all goes when i get my piggies :)