Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Why dont female and male Guinea Pigs get along?

nora21
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

diagoNfriend

Cavy Slave
hi nora. i have a question, is your male fixed? if not housing them together is never a good idea. right now your two piggies are fighting for dominance. they are trying to figure out who is going to be in charge. this can last a month. maybe more. it depends on how long it takes them. so long as they are not attacking each other to the point of biting. i wouldn't be to quick to separate them (unless it is because your male isn't fixed) my three boys are still fighting over their places. and it's been a couple weeks.

Eccles

Cavy Slave
I have a neutered male and a female who live quite happily together. So it isn't gender alone that is the issue - but DO make sure that no babies can be produced before putting them together!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It probably has way more to do with the way you introduced them than with the fact that one is male and the other female.

If one of them isn't neutered, please separate them until you get one of them fixed. The death rate for guinea pig sows is quite high, as is the death rate for pups. Additionally, if you don't know what you're doing when breeding, you can wind up with pigs with severe genetic defects, such as lethal white syndrome. LWS pigs are all white, blind, deaf, with misshapen/missing teeth, and messed up digestive tracts. They require special handling all of their lives.

If one of your pigs is neutered, then read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They do get along, I have 2 females living happily with a neutered male. It is more to do with the pigs personality and the cage size then gender.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.