Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C I have a C&C but would like to build UP

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
I have a C&C but it is only one level. I don't have much more "floor room" in my living room and don't really want to move them out of there - that is mostly where we are when we aren't at work and they enjoy the interactions with my husband and I. Plus my other living room would have them in a picture window and I don't want to do THAT!

I think I'd like to add space by building UP for them. I see some really great pens (C&C ones usually) with the second floor and a ramp, my question - where in the world do you get something like that for on a C&C? Is it something you have to order, because our local pet shops don't have anything like that that doesn't come in a cage (and I think they would be too small anyway).

I'm just looking for some ideas and suggestions. I only have two piglets (spoiled little things) and they love their pen, they do laps, wheek and popcorn at me - especially after I change things around and give them new toys or new/different beds or special food. I just would love to give them a little extra room, make it a two floor palace, instead of a rancher.

The other question - is there something you put up top? Like the kitchen or the liter pan or just a play area?

Thanks so much for your ideas!

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
As long as the actual floorspace of the bottom level is 7.5sq ft, then you can build up as many times as you like! Guinea pigs are not born climbers and need wide, flat spaces where they can run laps and popcorn.

You can buy pre-made C&C cages on the site Guinea Pig Cages Store - but unless you are in the US then postage is huge. They sell ramps that are made from coroplast - Cubes and Coroplast Components and Cage Parts, Page 2 and loft areas.
You can also easily make a ramp by connecting two grids and bending them into a U shape like this - 2 x 4 with loft - Guinea Pig Cage Photos
Get some more ideas on this photo album: Open, Multi-Level - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

You can build a loft area on top - many people put traditional bedding in there and use it as a feeding station for the pigs - you can put hay and food up there.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Excellent, thank you! Since my oldest piglet seems to be allergic to her hay, I thought this may be a good compromise to ensure it is there all the time but that it isn't like where she sleeps. My youngest likes to drag the hay into the sleeping area and Daisy can't get away from it

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Excellent, thank you! Since my oldest piglet seems to be allergic to her hay
Sometimes dustier brands of hay can cause allergy like symptoms in guinea pigs. What hay do you use?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
You may want to try a different type of hay, or replacing it with fresh grass.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.