Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Bigger cage once again!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I was bored today so changed the boys cage from their 4x4 + 2x2 to a full 4x6, so it's just 4 girds more but they get bigger laps to run around. :p

I'm not sure If I'll keep it this way though (with-out a kitchen area), so I'll see how it goes this week.

1st change for when I got Ron, a 2x4 and a 2x4 connected by a 1x1:
DSC02103.jpg
2nd change, this time a 2x4 kitchen area, 2x2 bit and a 2x4 part:
DSC02861.jpg
3rd change, a 2x2 kitchen area and a 4x4:
DSC03842.jpg
4th change since Ron has come along, a 4x6 with no kitchen area:
DSC04084.jpgDSC04075.jpg
Which one out of the 3rd or 4th do you think is better?
I might change it back depending on how it goes this week.
I wish I could say these will be one of the final designs, but I don't think so as I'm addicted to changing the cages!

Last edited:

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I love having a kitchen. Shaking hay out of a 2x7 was slowly killing me. They got it everywhere. I LOVE the 4x6 idea, that's HUGE, what a lucky piglet. However, have you thought about a loft for a kitchen?

I know they can be hard to clean under, but you can make it so it lifts up.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
and I'm in love with your fleece.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
I've done the opposite and just created a kitchen area, which means I've sacrificed cage space, have to say I am liking it though, and piggies seem to be too. Could you add the 2x2 kitchen back into the 4x6 you could have all the hidies in the bit next to it (like a bedroom) then a big open area for laps, toys etc.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I love having a kitchen. Shaking hay out of a 2x7 was slowly killing me. They got it everywhere. I LOVE the 4x6 idea, that's HUGE, what a lucky piglet. However, have you thought about a loft for a kitchen?

I know they can be hard to clean under, but you can make it so it lifts up.

Thanks! So far I'm loving this size (I'll probably only have to sweep out once a day now, yay!) But yes, I think I'll still want a kitchen area.

Where do you think the best place to put a loft would be?
I don't usually like having lofts, but seeing as their cage is on the ground so I can crawl in it (or just lie down :p ) to clean under it.

It'd need to be a good size as In small spaces I can see my boys bumping into each other and bickering like boys do! They don't argue now, but in a small space I can see it happening so don't wanna risk it.

But I'm not gonna be bothered do a loft till little Bill has passed (Male Mouse in the cage on top of the girds).

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x3 loft and it's working out great as a kitchen :)

You could do a 2x4, a 2x5 etc. How ever big you want. I would only have it cover the cage a 2x2 though. Mine overhangs onto my desk so it's supporteed. If It covered anymore then a 2x2 cleaning would be impossible. It's tight under there.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
How many male pigs do you think could happily live in a 4x6?
We're going to start fostering for the SPCA again, last time we had the job of 'fattening up' kittens but this time we are doing small animals so I'm just planning a head If I ever were to fall in love with a lone male pig. I'll only adopted one if while we are fostering him I think he would be submissive to Bubbles like Ron and Rex are.

I've decided that I'll make a 2x2 or 2x3 loft once Bill has passed.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I'll probably stop at four boys as I think about it more, That way If something was to happen I could split it up into two 2x6's and have two in each.

Also, I'm not saying I will get one. I'm just wondering, But the SPCA probably still wouldn't let me adopt a male because they do not like males living together. There was a lone male there at the beginning of the year (we hadn't been given Ron at that point) and they didn't want me to adopt him because I was going to introduce him to my two boys.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
@madelineelaine @Nix16

Thanks to both of you for the ideas!

After a week of hating having just fleece (it drove me crazy! :p ) I've put the kitchen back in.
I can completely take everything out when I clean it (apart from the two girds above the kitchen area where Bill's cage is), that way I don't have to crawl or reach under.

Some pictures of what I hope to have the cage look like for a while as I like it!:
DSC04096.jpg
Hehe..I just had to attach this pic of Rex I just took :p
DSC04117.jpg
The bunk bed thingy on the left and the kitchen area on the right
DSC04106.jpg

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Rex is adorable. I really love your cage design. The bunk beds are great and you've really inspired me to make a kitchen area. I just have the hay in a corner litter pan on my fleece and I'm forever picking up all the hay pieces that really stick to the fleece. Also, that is a great little cage that you have Bill in. I've never had mice. Are they as calm and friendly as rats?

I never knew how helpful having a kitchen was until I took it out, I suppose it's one of those things that you don't think about it'll its gone..Lol you should try a kitchen I love them!

I've never rats so can't really say, but from owning male and female mice, most males are clam and nice and lazy but I have found that girls are so much more entertaining to watch. Honestly, the cage Bill is in right now is too small for a mouse (well I think so), but he is around 2 years old, not looking his best shape and he was struggling with the levels so It's his 'retirement' home. :)

(I have 15 girls living in a home made huge cage, and am going to adopt rats once the mice have passed away.
Using a rat cage calculator and giving each rat 2.0 cubic feet it says I can house 8 rats in my girl mouse's cage but I don't think I'll want that many!)

Nix16

Cavy Slave
I like it like that too, let's see how long you manage to leave it like that lol.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I like it like that too, let's see how long you manage to leave it like that lol.

Haha, maybe a month...but I hope I'll get no more 'great ideas' before new year. :p

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
That's so cute :D Yeah, I would loose my mind without an established kitchen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.