Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating George - Didn't eat his dinner

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
So, I woke up this morning to find George with nearly a full bowl of food. Last night dinner was red leaf lettuce and bell pepper.
Looks like he ate some off the lettuce but none of the pepper.
This is not at all like George.
He has not been showing any physical signs of a URI. I have been working with him regarding sludge in his urine by modifying his diet some.

I did notice that there were not as many morning poos as I would have expected to find. In light of losing Charlie just 2 weeks ago - I am scared.

I did notice that his belly seemed a bit hard and he was bit heavier than when I weighed him yesterday.
So, I was thinking it could be bloat.
When I got home from church I took him out of his cage and wrapped him in a towel and put him in my bed with a vibrating massager under the covers. At first he did not seem to like it at all and I had to rub his back to keep him in position.
I have been putting him on the massager in intervals of 30 minutes off 20 minutes on. He seems to like it now and is snuggling up against it. I recently read that if it is bloat I shouldn't hand feed him. So, I have just been trying to get him to drink a little water. This is not something he does on a good day, so, it is struggle now especially. He is eating hay though.

I am taking him to the vet tomorrow. Guess we will be trying out the new vet I found.
In the meantime, any suggestions on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is coconut water ok for guinea pigs? I was thinking I could mix a bit of it with water to see if I could get him to drink more.

Here are the ingredients:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 serving (11.2 fl. oz. / 330 mL)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
Calories 60
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0g0%
Saturated Fat 0g0%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 20mg1%
Potassium 650mg
Total Carbohydrate 14g5%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Sugars 11g
Other Carbohydrate 0g
Protein 0g
Vitamin A 0%
myfs_darkcir.gif
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 6%
myfs_darkcir.gif
Iron 0%

Thanks in advance.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I don't know about the coconut water, and I've never had a pig with bloat but you seem to be doing everything right. I know this is a medical emergency though. Can you get him in sooner?

I'm completely not sure about this at all, but I now simethicone may help. Don't quote me on that.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I posted this thread at Guinealynx as well.
I was told there to hand feed him but I read here in another thread about bloat not to hand feed. Just give water.

Very confused. But in any case. Since I posted the thread George has eaten some cucumber, bell pepper and continues to nibble on his hay.
He is still laying on top of the massager though.

I have also heard him make that little snorting sound piggies make at each other to warn another piggy off (I call it the angry bull sound).
So, I am thinking it may be respiratory. Just praying we can nip in the bud fast.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
If he's eating that's a good thing :D I don't know about hand feeding. I know piggies need to eat, but if it isn't going through his system then that's probably a bad thing.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Update - George ate his red leaf lettuce for dinner.
I wanted to give him some with a high water content since I am still concerned with his output.
I know he is peeing.... got the big wet spots on my bed and shirt to prove that.
But I am not happy with how many poos I have seen. I will keep a close eye on that tonight.
Still taking him to the vet tomorrow.

Grateful I have been putting money aside for emergency vet costs. The last month with Charlie was extremely expensive.
Grateful to have the funds to take care of my George.
And once I get my girls I will take them in for a check up.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Kim37040

I get that. It's hard. And expensive. Thank you for caring enough to give them proper care though <3

When felix wasn't eating because of his surgery he wasn't pooping much either. If he really isn't eating, try fresh grass? I know most cavies loose there minds over it. Maybe he'll eat some? Giving him cuke would be good too because it's got the water. How long has it been since he hasn't eaten? It might be time to syringe a bit to him. But then again, I don't know.

Maybe syringing him water would help? Has he been drinking less water? Maybe he's constipated?

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
@Kim37040

I get that. It's hard. And expensive. Thank you for caring enough to give them proper care though <3

When felix wasn't eating because of his surgery he wasn't pooping much either. If he really isn't eating, try fresh grass? I know most cavies loose there minds over it. Maybe he'll eat some? Giving him cuke would be good too because it's got the water. How long has it been since he hasn't eaten? It might be time to syringe a bit to him. But then again, I don't know.

Maybe syringing him water would help? Has he been drinking less water? Maybe he's constipated?

He is eating now. The first meal he did not complete was dinner last night. He ate some of this lettuce but none of his pepper.
I left his dinner in this dish till today at lunch. He still had not eaten it.
He has been eating his hay and since this afternoon he has eaten cucumber, bell pepper and red leaf lettuce.

I think his input is good enough not to have to start hand feeding right now. But I am very familiar with hand feeding and will know when it is time to start.
And water intake is always an issue. I force feed them water everyday and usually they just let it dribble out their mouth. I make sure all of their veggies are super wet.

Right now I am monitoring output. AKA I'm on poo patrol.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You could also syringe a bit of unflavoured pedialyte. It will help to keep him hydrated and restore electrolytes.
I've used pedialyte on several occasions.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Today was horrible at work. I spent the majority of the day and early evening dealing with a student who was transported to the hospital.

I didn't have anyone to take George to the vet for me and the only after hours vet here deals with large livestock. Thank goodness George is eating. He has been inhaling his red leaf lettuce but still not eating much of his bell pepper.
Still not thrilled with his poo output. Just would expect more. His weight has not changed.

We are going to the vet tomorrow.
Hoping all is ok.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
You could also syringe a bit of unflavoured pedialyte. It will help to keep him hydrated and restore electrolytes.

I have gotten him to drink around 3 syringes of pedialyte and water.
What a relief!

Kfowler5

Cavy Slave

We have also used pedialyte a lot with great success. A little bit goes a long way if your worried about dehydration. I had to give one of our boars some while he was on antibiotics because he would never drink and it really helped him perk up right after drinking a bit. Hopefully he keeps eating with gusto and you don't have to hand feed but if needed you could even mix it in the critical care if he doesn't like it strait.
Hope all goes well at the vet and he gets to feeling better very soon. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.