Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dwarf Hamsters?

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Is it ok to use these kinds of homes for dwarf hamsters? or will they escape?

(broken link removed) <--the cage.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
The 1/2" wire spacing is kind of iffy. The dwarves might not be able to squeeze through, but I wouldn't risk it. Plus the cage is pretty expensive for what you're getting.

For my dwarf hammies I use a large sterilite bin from the Dollar Store (I think it was $8) and my girls love it!

It's easy to clean and inexpensive. For the lid, you would just cut a large rectangular hole in the plastic and cover with wire mesh from the hardware store.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
thanks for the reply, I like the idea! When I get my hamster I will do something like that, I actualy have a few of those bins laying around (clean ones ofcourse).

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Your hammies don't eat what appears to be a cloth cozy Plummie? Mine do, I can't put anything cloth in their cages.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I also must say that the wheel in the store cage above is no good.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I also must say that the wheel in the store cage above is no good.

why is it to small? Or is it cheesy plastic?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You HAVE to have a solid bottom wheel. Look in Plummie's picture. Ridged bottom wheels hurt feet tremendously. I highly suggest the Wodent Wheel Junior for hammies.

(broken link removed)

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Oh! I didn't even realize that it was sold based! Wow I need some glasses or something. I already knew that I need a sold base because I read about it on (broken link removed), I keep asking airheaded questions today.

Da_3_mad_pigs

Cavy Slave
I have a dwarf hamster and I have a cage just like the first one you showed and he has never escaped before!

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
Your hammies don't eat what appears to be a cloth cozy Plummie? Mine do, I can't put anything cloth in their cages.
No they don't chew on it at all, they just burrow and sleep in it. If they did start chewing I would remove it immediately.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Thanks for replying Plummie. What size tub are you using for your hammies? I want to put mine into tubs so they can have more room. I can't house my winter whites together though because Marshmellow attacks Puffnstuff. I tried to get them to get along and poor puff ended up with bites all over her tummy, so no more trying to get them to live together. Right now one is in a "my first home" petstore cage that I used with another hammie three years ago and the other is in a 10 gal. aquarium.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I use the 116 qt. clear tubs, they are $8-9 at Family Dollar and provide a lot more room than a 10 gal. aquarium would. These are the biggest bins I could find available in clear and they make great hamster/gerbil habitats. You can easily drill through the plastic for the water bottle spout, for affixing wheels to the side of the cage with zip ties, for ventilation holes, etc. They are very easy to customize and even easier to clean!

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

tbunnysmom

Cavy Slave
Hi. New to Dwarf Hammies here. We have a bunny, and he gets to chew on just about anything. (old phone books, wicker, etc..)

Is it not okay for a hamster to chew on a cloth like the one pictured above?

Priscilla currently has a metal (plastic covered) hampster wheel, so you guys are saying she shouldn't have that, instead have one that is solid? Did you just drill a whole in the side of the plastic to punch it threw? I'm trying to picture how to get a water bottle in there though.

I like the plastic tub idea. I had been thinking about getting her a plastic habitrail for her to have lots of places to run around in. Just brought her home from my brothers house for a few week visit, but I think we might end up keeping her, b/c she doesn't look like she's all that much trouble and my dd loves her.

Are they social animals like rabbits, rats and pigs or is she better off by herself?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I have a couple of those awful wire wheels lying around. They are not in use at the moment but to make them safe I take index cards and weave them back and forth between the bars of the wheel. It creates a solid floor and has less bars to hurt their feet. The bars left provide enough traction for them to run and stop in the wheel.

The index card are also cheap and replacable so if they get chewed on or peed on it's easy to slip new ones in. Plus being made of heavy paper they are safe if chewed on.

tbunnysmom

Cavy Slave
I will go look for a better wheel today, and get some other supplies for her I need. I think I'm going to get her a big plastic container for a new home.

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
My hammie isn't a dwarf hamster but he is an excape artist. I don't think that anything man made can contain him (Cept for his cage :D )

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
You want to make sure that you get something that doesn't have wire flooring as well. I use Rubbermaid containers for my six hamsters and they have worked out really well. Very easy to clean. Those multi level ones are a pain to clean b/c they pee on the wire and you have all of that to sanitize.

GP_Lover_85

Cavy Slave
I keep my 2 dwarf hamsters females in a 20 long aquarium and they seem to like it and they like to dig and hide under the beding

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.