PDA

View Full Version : Vet Baytril as treatment for head tilt?

rainpearl
10-20-12, 05:56 pm
Guinea pig had a respiratory infection that had been treated with a combination of Baytril and Doxycycline. While undergoing treatment the piggie developed head tilt. The vet said that these infections can spread into the ear and cause an infection usually revealed by symptoms such as a tilted head. While the respiratory infection has been resolved (after 2 weeks of Baytril and Doxycycline), the head tilting symptom is still present and the vet wants her to be on baytril for another 3 weeks to see if that resolves the head tilt. Has anyone had experience with this? Does this sound like a reasonable treatment? If not, what is a medication that I could maybe research and ask the vet about trying instead of the baytril? Is it possible that there is no infection and the tilt is likely permanent damage from the URI/Ear infection?

foggycreekcavy
10-20-12, 06:24 pm
Yes, it sounds reasonable. It's possible there's still some infection in the inner ear. If the pig isn't having problems with the Baytril I'd continue.

Unfortunately, the head tilt may be permanent though.

rainpearl
10-20-12, 06:30 pm
Oh okay! That's good to know. 5 weeks on Baytril just seemed like a really long time to me. Hope it will help the lil' one. If I may ask, what is actually damaged that would cause a permanent tilt? Is it a painful condition if it is in fact permanent?

rainpearl
10-20-12, 07:18 pm
Oh and another question... If I were to put her with another female do you think there would be an increased possibility of aggression towards each other because of her possible permanent head tilt?