Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Want to build a C&C cage and need measurements

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
At the moment i have the midwest guinea expandable habitat plus and its 8 square foot. It really is just to small for 2 pigs. I would like to get the makings for a c&c cage for christmas or money for it. I havn't really talked to my parents about it but i can't imagain they would be totally against it. My dad brought up that we have a 6 foot long tabe. I was thinking I could use it. Right now the cage is on a 4 foot long table and the cage is 47 inches so it just fits. I was wondering whats the biggest i could go with a 6 foot table. I was hoping 2 by 5 but I think that may be to big. 1 rule is must have a lid. I am not sure of the measurements of the table and will ask my dad today and tell you guise.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My 2x5 is 70.5 inches long.
Thats almost 6 ft

pinky

Cavy Slave
Tell your dad you'll sell your other cage on craigslist to help pay for the c&c and he might be more receptive.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes, even if it only sells for $20, that $20 can purchase you a box of grids.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
That's a really good idea @pinky !

For a 2x5 you will need 14 grids, not including the lid. You can use wire closet shelving as a lid. Go as big as you can :)

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
Tell your dad you'll sell your other cage on craigslist to help pay for the c&c and he might be more receptive.

Thanks but the bottom is stained, who in the world came up with putting a canvas bottom on a cage? I bought the cage (and everything else for the pigs) with my own money so I will probably buy the grids with my own money or i still have a 25 dollar amazon giftcard I could use. It would work as a christmas gift to. Sounds like a 2 by 5 cage would fit the table. My dad is at the barn with my sis until around 7 and then I will ask my dad. Are they hard to build? How would I make a lid? my biggest problem is trying to convince my mom it's not pointless nor will it look ugly in the room with a folding table. Wish my luck!

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
Are they hard to build? How would I make a lid? my biggest problem is trying to convince my mom it's not pointless nor will it look ugly in the room with a folding table.

C&C cages are super easy to build. I was worried about it at first too, but really...it's just like giant legos. The grids snap together with connectors that come packaged with them, or you can use zip ties. Or...you can use both! We use connectors to hold the stable walls and zip ties to make hinges to open the doors and lift the roof up.

As for convincing your mom it won't be ugly, try showing her some of the finished cages people have posted here on the site. A lot of them are REALLY nice and impressive. Offer to let her choose the color scheme, if she's interested. Make it match the room's decor! Turn it into a family design project!

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
C&C cages are super easy to build. I was worried about it at first too, but really...it's just like giant legos. The grids snap together with connectors that come packaged with them, or you can use zip ties. Or...you can use both! We use connectors to hold the stable walls and zip ties to make hinges to open the doors and lift the roof up.

As for convincing your mom it won't be ugly, try showing her some of the finished cages people have posted here on the site. A lot of them are REALLY nice and impressive. Offer to let her choose the color scheme, if she's interested. Make it match the room's decor! Turn it into a family design project!

ok awesome, I don't think its the cage just on a folding table but I think it will be ok. Where can I buy zip ties? can u buy them at home depot? Does anyone know of a good tutorial on youtube on how to build one?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I buy zip ties at the dollar store. Get like 400+. Use connectors AND zip ties to secure it. It's really really easy to build. I built my cage all by myself, and I'm 16. If I can do it, so can you :)

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
Ya hopfully i am only 13 so lets hope so. Ok I will get them from the dollar tree and use them to secure and for the top. Can't wait to talk to my dad maybe he can pull out the table so I can measure.

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
ok so I did some research and I found grids are way more then I imagined they are going to be 50 dollars! I can't afford that at the moment. Amazon.com: Whitmor 6070-1723 4 Storage Cubes, Black: Home & Kitchen those only come with 10 which doesn't even make a full 2x5 cage. Kmart has 16 for 20 but I don't have a giftcard there. Anyone know of some cheep grids?

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
Check on craigslist? I know people have gotten grids there before.

$20 really isn't all that bad, see if you have a Sears around you (they sell storage cubes for around $20). If the money is an issue, see if you can do extra chores to earn money, or look around your neighborhood for opportunities.

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
Check on craigslist? I know people have gotten grids there before.

$20 really isn't all that bad, see if you have a Sears around you (they sell storage cubes for around $20). If the money is an issue, see if you can do extra chores to earn money, or look around your neighborhood for opportunities.

Ya its not to bad its just I have to buy 2 packs, Just checked cregs list all are more then kmart. The storage cubes at sears are the same ones on amazon but for 5 more dollars. I just talked to my dad and he said we have to talk to my mom and not until saturday cause she is going to be at work late for the next few nights:( Also he said the table may only we 5 foot long. Which means I could only do a 2x4 cage. So wish me luck:) I am thinking christmas so my money is not involved.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You have Fred Meyer stores in Oregon. You can buy sets of new storage cubes for $20.

Or, you can make a road trip up to Auburn! I sell used grids 4 for $1.

guineapig988

Cavy Slave
You have Fred Meyer stores in Oregon. You can buy sets of new storage cubes for $20.

Or, you can make a road trip up to Auburn! I sell used grids 4 for $1.

Some how driving to Auburn I don't think would go well sadly:( Your grids are really a great deal and wish I lived closer.

I will check out fredmyers. I found a pic of someones cage who made a loft for the habitat I have. Could I make it with corplast??
Want to build a C&C cage and need measurements

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Definitely you can make a tray for it with coroplast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.