PDA

View Full Version : Cavy Vet In Auckland! + Bloat?

RodentCuddles
10-17-12, 02:03 am
One of my boys, Bubbles has always been a big boy but a few months ago I took him to two separate vets telling them I was concerned about him maybe having bloat. They both shock it off, and said he was just fine maybe a bit over weight. My mum know doesn't believe me that he could be, because those vets said no.
Well now, His sides are oval (do you get what I mean?).

Can I treat him by myself? If he doesn't have it, will it hurt him to treat him? What can I use?

Does any one know of a cavy vet in Auckland, New Zealand that they trust?
These two were meant to be good with them, but honestly I dunno.

RodentCuddles
10-17-12, 02:12 am
Okay, I've found two (looking on goggle) that say they look at small animals.

Cavylier
10-17-12, 02:35 am
My piggie had bloat. I was able to survive the night by massaging her and hydrating her but I was simply lucky.

Bloat can get really serious if there is any torsion (the intestines twist) and can need surgery in these cases so a vet would be really good if you can find one. Even with the massage and hydration my piggy was only ready to eat after the vet gave her a shot of a motility drug. She kept getting swollen up again about thirty minutes after each massage - it was the shot that gave her permanent relief.

Till you can find a vet, try massaging your piggy's sides manually or with a vibrator pad/ vibrating toothbrush. If you piggy has trouble pooping, he might be dehydrated (they tend not to drink water when they're ill) so syringe him a bit of water.

If the bloat is caused by a blockage, however, it only becomes worse so I wouldn't feed him any solid food till you can get him to a vet unless it's absolutely necessary. Hope your piggy feels better!

pinky
10-17-12, 06:34 am
I have a large male with sides that protrude but he does not have bloat. If yours does, you'd hear a hollow sound when you gently thump his side and he'd feel swollen, like a balloon. He'd be in a lot of pain and probably wouldn't be eating, drinking or pooping. If two vets told you he doesn't have bloat and it's been a few days since you took him in, I doubt that he has bloat.

RodentCuddles
10-17-12, 10:34 am
Thank you pinky; His sides are rather big, after his ribs they stick out (the oval shape). I toke him in a few months ago, I'm just not sure if it is normal as none of my other 5 have bellies like his (3 others are males).

He does eat, drink and pop though, I'm just get really worried about my little guy so it could be nothing. He seems fine apart from it, he looks like if was a female he'd be close to giving birth just his legs aren't apart and its not so round more oval.

His weight is fine and hes eating, drinking and pooping fine so i shouldn't be worried?

Lisa21264
10-17-12, 10:56 am
Are you feeding him gassy vegetables? My piggie would get bloated after I fed him broccolli and then have terrible gas. I haven't fed him broccoli since.

RodentCuddles
10-17-12, 10:58 am
Are you feeding him gassy vegetables? My piggie would get bloated after I fed him broccolli and then have terrible gas. I haven't fed him broccoli since.

No, his stomach is always like this. >.<
ETA:
None of my other pigs are like this so I really don't think it is anything they're eating.

Here is their timetable:
The also get fresh wheat grass every second or third day; Some times (very rarely) I also give them treats like pumpkin or some other fruits.

pinky
10-17-12, 11:56 am
I have two males and my pear shaped one is shaped very differently from the other one. He looks like a pregnant female. He eats the same as all the others but seems to be inclined to be heavy. I'll bet you just have a big guy. How much does he weigh? My male is usually between 3 lbs 2 oz and 3 lbs 4 oz.

pinky
10-17-12, 12:02 pm
I have two males and my pear shaped one is shaped very differently from the other one. He looks like a pregnant female. He eats the same as all the others but seems to be inclined to be heavy. I'll bet you just have a big guy. How much does he weigh? My male is usually between 3 lbs 2 oz and 3 lbs 4 oz.

pinky
10-17-12, 12:03 pm
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/kavykeeper/IMG_8183-1.jpg

This is Rigatoni about a year and a half ago. He's bigger now but this shows his "love handles."

Owned by cavy
10-17-12, 12:22 pm
I have a female pig with a belly like this. No, she's not pregnant, she's just big. She's the heaviest of all my pigs, weighs about 1150 grams. I adopted a pregnant pig that looked like this too (scared me when I realized that Tasha looked the same!), but it's just the way Tasha is. If the vets are sure, he's probably fine.

RodentCuddles
10-17-12, 12:28 pm

He doesn't weigh that much, his avg. weight is 1.2 kg.
I'll stop worrying so much now.

bpatters
10-17-12, 01:12 pm
For one thing, you're feeding way too much fruit. Guinea pig intestines aren't designed to handle sugar, and sugar can upset the balance of the bacteria in the digestive tract, leading to all sorts of GI issues.

Bloat is a medical emergency, with the pig in pain, not eating, and usually not pooping. So I doubt your pig has bloat. But it could well have gas, caused or exacerbated by the amount of fruit you're giving. If I were you, I'd cut the fruit back to a small bit about twice a week, and see if there's any improvement.

RodentCuddles
10-17-12, 01:19 pm
@bpatters (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=13820) What fruit should I cut back on, like what day of what week?
So in the first week for fruit (not incl. tomato) they get 1/2 Apple per 3 pigs (once), 2 grapes per pig (twice) and 1/2 pear per 3 pigs (once).
In the second week for fruit (not incl. tomato) they get 1/2 Apple per 3 pigs (once), 2 grapes per pig (twice), 1 strawberry per pig (once).

Hes always been like this even before I was using this timetable, I only started using it about 4 months ago, I've had him since he was a few weeks old and he is a year and 10 months. I was feeding him really bad pellets and hardly any veges before, but I'll cut back on the fruit.

*I need to update the how much of each thing I feed part on the bottom of the timetable*

RodentCuddles
10-19-12, 12:00 pm
@bpatters (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=13820) What fruit should I cut back on, like what day of what week?
So in the first week for fruit (not incl. tomato) they get 1/2 Apple per 3 pigs (once), 2 grapes per pig (twice) and 1/2 pear per 3 pigs (once).
In the second week for fruit (not incl. tomato) they get 1/2 Apple per 3 pigs (once), 2 grapes per pig (twice), 1 strawberry per pig (once).

Hes always been like this even before I was using this timetable, I only started using it about 4 months ago, I've had him since he was a few weeks old and he is a year and 10 months. I was feeding him really bad pellets and hardly any veges before, but I'll cut back on the fruit.

*I need to update the how much of each thing I feed part on the bottom of the timetable*

Bumps...
What fruit on what day should i cut out?