Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Should I make my C&C cage with a stand?

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

I am building a C&C cage for my 2 girls, Fergie and Cami. I am going to build a 2x4 C&C cage, and just for safety, I am going to dog-proof it with a lid made out of grids, because even though my 40 lbs puggle Max loves the guinea pigs, and would never intentionally hurt them, I just want them to be safe. I have heard so many good things about stands, so I am thinking about making one for my cage when it is finally built. Is it pretty easy to make a stand with storage, like the kind of stand that you can put those cute little colorful fabric storage bins in? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,
GuineaPiggiez

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think it should be better for the pigs to be off the ground. Either build a stand from grids or use a table. If you use a table, make sure the cage is strapped down and the dog can't pull it off the table.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just my two cents:

Pro:

- Guinea Pigs aren't as scared because you're not as tall and big looking down at them.
- Gives you storage

Con:
- Hurts my back leaning over. Lol
- You have to clean under it

I'm sure there is so much more pros and cons but I can't think of any more right now :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
I actually think having the high stand helps with my back pain. I hated it when the cage was on the floor. Even the one grid stand was too low for me. I liked the 2 grid high stand, and it stores everything.

Sorry about the mess. You could cover it up by draping some fabric in front.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
I love having mine on a base.. :) big pro on mine is tons of storage!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350089601.769033.jpg

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can build them out of storage grids. Somehow, it scares me to do that. I always have a feeling that the grids below will clapse and the cage will fall down! I don't think it'll do that, but even having a loft for my Waffles in his cage makes me worried that it'll fall. It won't, but I just think it will. You can also build the bottom with big cardboard boxes and connect the boxes together with tape. That's just a cheap way if you get the boxes. I think the table is the best idea of all.

PeeweesPiggyPalace

Removed
Cavy Gazer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350094577.550806.jpg
This was before my homemade base.. I used 1x1s for added support because I had to climb in to clean :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can make a sturdy stand. Use lots of cable ties.

Here are some pictures of someone showing how to build them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.