Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Two new Piggy babies! :)

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
My husband and I just adopted two sows. We named them River and Song.. :) Doctor Who fans are sure to get this ;)

We just finished the C&C cage and put them in their new forever home.

Now the only problem I have right now is my dachshund.. He will not leave them alone. I managed to get him to stop attacking and pawing at the cage. But he is just pacing and whining at them.. My poor girls need some peace right now.. what can I do?

Pics to come later.

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
Can you move the girls to another room where the adorable daschund (LOVE LOVE LOVE the breed) cannot get to?

I'll wait patiently for now...................
(for pigtures)

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Our cage is in the playroom, right off the kitchen. We're in both rooms often, and I gated the doorway to keep the dog out. Now I just need to work on a lid to keep the cat out. I'm waiting for pictures, too!

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
Our cage is in the playroom, right off the kitchen. We're in both rooms often, and I gated the doorway to keep the dog out. Now I just need to work on a lid to keep the cat out. I'm waiting for pictures, too!

Out of curiousity...What are you using for your lid? Having same problem here.

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
@Jen Percival

as @ZenMama said " and I gated the doorway to keep the dog out."

maybe you should try a baby gate to keep the dog out of the room where the piggies are

lissie

Cavy Slave
You could build a stand for the cage and add a lid.

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
That looks great. I've been wanting to build a stand as well. But one question...and around my house it's an important question to ask about anything...... Can the stand withhold the weight of 15 pound cat? She has to check out everything!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Yes, the stand can withhold the weight of a 15 pound cat. These cubes main purpose is for storage. I think I've seen it somewhere that each cube can hold 50 lbs. (I could be wrong though)

Make sure you use cable ties to secure them so the connectors don't pop off.

Here are some pictures of someone showing how to build them.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Love the names, They're awesome! !! I'm a doctor who fan as well :p

Can't wait till pigtures!!

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
Here is the cage I have built... River is out and eating hay right now.. Yeah! :) She is the brave one it seems.

The lid is just more grates and I have 3 overlapping for extra support in case I have a dachshund jump on the cage. I have stopped him from doing that at lest. Moving the cage really isn't an option as we don't have much room in the town home.

I will post more pigtures tomorrow when they have settled a bit :)

I River.jpg20121012_191621.jpg

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
I'm planning on building a stand, too. Not sure what I will make the lid from. I really don't want to use grids. I wish I could keep it open, I love seeing them, but we have a cat too, and while he doesn't try to hurt Gretel, I'm afraid him jumping into the cage is going to give her a heart attack (she's a senior). Her old store bought cage was a super pet rabbit cage, and while it was too small square footage wise, it was taller, and didn't seem so bad even with the lid on.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
What about those plastic file boxes from the office supply place? They look kind of like milk crates, but would raise your enclosure up off the floor a bit more. If you put down...6? 8? of them, and used them for "legs" they might just work.
...And welcome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.