Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I am a new guinea pig owner of 2 beautiful female Sows. But I think 1 is pregnant!!!

Nwguineapigownr

Cavy Slave
Hi guys. I am a new Guinea Pig owner and brought my first GP home about 2 weeks ago, she was 3 weeks old at the time and we have named her Squeakles. We brought our 2nd Guinea Pig home a few days ago and I was told she was probably about 3 months old, we have named her Fluffy. My concern is that the 3 months old Sow was in with Bors and I think she is too big in the abdomen than normal. She has a pear shape to her and doesn't like it when I try and touch her sides or belly. Any advice on how I can tell would be great. I look forward to getting advice and help as I learn to take care of my new family members.

Thank you so much!
Heather

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
I'm deep in the middle of this...
At 6 or 7 weeks, you should be able to feel kicking. When I first felt this, it was like bubbles popping from the inside. Gestation is about 60-70 days. I know Guinealynx has great info, as do the members of this forum. Keep looking for information, and prepare!

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new girls! (I don't have experience with the pregnancy aspect just wanted to say hello and congrats)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

By the way you said you brought them is giving me the idea you got them from pet shops, if so It is very likely that your 3 month old girl is pregnant, If she was in with boars then that makes it even more likely. Sadly this is not unusual with pet shop pigs, and that is just one of the reasons we are anti-pet shop/breeding and pro-rescue/adoption.

Good luck with the pregnancy! I hope her and any babies she has make it though. :)

Last edited:

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
Howdy :D Welcome to the forum :3 You're piggy sound pregnant to me. Can you post some pictures so we can see the lovely girls?

Im curious how big your cage is. If you're planning on keeping the babies (if your sow is actually pregnant) than you want to have a pretty big cage so that when they grow they have enough room to run around and such.

Nwguineapigownr

Cavy Slave
Howdy :D Welcome to the forum :3 You're piggy sound pregnant to me. Can you post some pictures so we can see the lovely girls?

Im curious how big your cage is. If you're planning on keeping the babies (if your sow is actually pregnant) than you want to have a pretty big cage so that when they grow they have enough room to run around and such.

Thanks guys. Actually I got her from a lady that did not tell me she was in with males until I asked. I got my first piggie at 3 weeks old from a wonderful lady that breeds piggies and is a wealth of knowledge, she loves all the piggies as her own kids. I talked to her 2 days ago, and she thought my 3 mo. old was pregnant and agreed to take her for me as I am just not equipped to have babies; especially the complications if she was inbred. I know she will take awesome care of my beautiful Guinea Pig. Thanks everyone for all the help. I wanted to be a responsible owner, and I know nothing about having babies and I don't have the room for them; which is why I made the decision I did.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. Actually I got her from a lady that did not tell me she was in with males until I asked. I got my first piggie at 3 weeks old from a wonderful lady that breeds piggies and is a wealth of knowledge, she loves all the piggies as her own kids. I talked to her 2 days ago, and she thought my 3 mo. old was pregnant and agreed to take her for me as I am just not equipped to have babies; especially the complications if she was inbred. I know she will take awesome care of my beautiful Guinea Pig. Thanks everyone for all the help. I wanted to be a responsible owner, and I know nothing about having babies and I don't have the room for them; which is why I made the decision I did.

That seems like a responsible decision. I hope you find another one, if you want one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.