Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Pig? advice...?

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
so my sweet boy chubs has been doing wonderfully since we have had him, after coming out of the hell he was put throug. He has really started to bond with me and I am absolutely in love with him! But I notice this evening he wasnt wheeking and excited when I was putting out fresh food and water, and when the baby, now named Stitch! Was getting very excited, he hopped on to chubs, which he does normally, and chubs usually tosses him off... tonight chubs just sat there. He just isnt acting like him self and Im very worried, because he wont even look at the food... not even a nibble at the carrot? I got the smaller water bottle and added a little pedialyte and a few vit. c drops. I have him seperated in the 2x2 loft area, freshly cleaned, with a warm water bottle, all fresh food. he is just laying there... I dont know whats wrong or what to do? I have tried calling several vets, but they have asked me to monitor him until tomorrow and if he still isnt eating or drinking then to bring him in. Could it be G.I. stasis? I have had rabbits, and dealt with it before, and this seems very similar to the way I have seen the symptoms in rabbits. and advice to help us through the nigt is apprectiated? Also should I give him the gas drops to relieve comfort?

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
Im sorry, I just realized this should have went under medical? Not sure how to move it..

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I hope someone else responds about giving him something for gas, but I will tell you that if he is not eating you need to start hand feeding him.
You can dissolve some of his pellets in a little warm water and syringe feed. Syringe feed the water as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's definitely something wrong. But I'm not sure you should wait until morning to do something for him -- that could be too long.

First, although this may not matter if he's not drinking, there's no point in putting vitamin C in his water bottle. It starts to degrade almost immediately, and is totally useless within a short time. It also affects the taste of the water, and might be the reason he's not drinking.

GI stasis is a possibility. Is he pooping? If so, he's not in stasis. If he's not, he could be in stasis, he could have bloat, he could have a blockage.

Does his abdomen look swollen? and feel tight? That can be bloat or possibly blockage. There are some links here about bloat: https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html, and some others about blockage here: https://www.guinealynx.info/search_blockage.html. Be sure to read the link in the emergency page about getting a pig through the night when you can't get to the vet. If you suspect either of these conditions, don't feed him. You can just make the condition worse.

You can give pediatric simethicone, and put him on some sort of vibrator. I believe people have even used electric toothbrushes with some success.

Do you have an emergency vet anywhere around that could consult with an exotic vet? I'm sure you would feel better if you could have him seen tonight, and it would definitely be better for him if you could. Twelve hours is an eternity with a sick guinea pig, and if he does have bloat, he's also in quite a bit of pain.

Edited to add: I moved it to Medical and Veterinary.

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
thank you! And I just read about vit. c drops in water being bad... I changed it! I gave him green and yellow bell pepper, althogh he is not really interested :/

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
How "new" is Stitch? Could it be that he is upset by the new baby or depressed?

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
no, they have been together for a week now... im almost positive its gi stasis or bloat. no poop, big hard tummy :/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't feed him. That's the wrong thing to do with bloat or stasis. Do try to get a little pediatric simethicone down him, and find something that vibrates that you can put him on. You don't have to keep the vibrating up constantly, but do use it for 10 minutes or so every half hour.

If you can find a vet who can give him reglan, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, you're going to have to be up all night vibrating and/or massaging his tummy. Do try to keep him hydrated by syringing him small amounts of water.

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
my husband and I cleaned his...? Anal sac? It seemed swollen and was some what full. I gave him the drops and forced some water mixed with pedialyte. I have been massaging/vibrating hisntummy on and off every few mins as much as he will let me. I put him in the "pig pin" with some fresh timothy hay, green lettuce, yellow bell peppers, some pellets and fresh water/pedialyte. while I clean up a bit. he is finally moving around some and nibbling on some hay and lettuce. Im hoping moving a little on his own helps. when I was holding him I could feel the gas bubbles(hopefully working their way out). Im going to give him more drops in about an hr and massage again... I will update soon.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good. Sounds like he may be turning a corner. Let's hope he keeps going in the right direction. But even if he feels much better tomorrow, do take him to a good exotic vet. Pigs with one episode of bloat tend to have more of them, and the doctor may be able to give you medicine to keep on hand in case you have future problems.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Filing this away in my pig file. Hopefully neither of my boys will have this issue, but good to know that with this you should not hand feed them.

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
def have not hand fed, knowing how bad it is with bunnies, I figured it would be the same for piggies. I just have these where he can get to them when/if he would like... did more tummy massages, some more water and gas drops... he uhm, passed gas, and wow did it smell BAD! No wonder his tummy hurts :/ he seems to be trying to "push" althoug Im not sure if he is just passing gas or trying to poop... possibly,and hopefully, both!

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Scary stuff. What causes it? Hope to never see it but maybe now Ill not panic quite as much. Very new to piggies so still trying to learn. Yet another use for the washing machine on spin cycle :)

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
its usually due to poor diet, but can also be from bad teeth,stress,food change,illness, pain. I would say several have caused his. His last "home" fed him alfalfa hay, alfalfa RABBIT foof(with all the junk in it), and tons of the sugary treats :(

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
My pig has been lucky so far. Last home never gave him ANY hay or veggies. If had no idea what to do with either when i first got him. Hopefully he will stay happy and healthy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How's your piggy this morning?

KaylaD

Cavy Slave
sorry, this is the first chance I have had to get on! I finally felt comfortable enough,that he was doing well, to go to bed around 3:30am! But he seems MUCH better, eating decent, drinking, and moving around better! He is urinating and pooping again! I have an appt with the closest small animal vet monday(she deals with guinea pigs often) so Im going to keep a VERY close eye on him, make sure he is eating well and getting plenty of fluids, and moving around(that seems to help alot too)....Im also going to keep the gas drops in him atleast morning and before bed, just to be sure he is comfortable! thanks for all the help and support :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.