PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing Freaking out! Suika did 3 wet sneezes! N is a bit wheezy...

linzax
10-10-12, 06:53 am
So I just her like a month ago.

This morning, when I usually hear drink her water, I heard 3 somewhat wet coughs and a bit of a wheeze. I picked her (she's still very active because she ran around her cage before I caught her). I hear a bit of congestion in her breathing.

She did sneeze once in while before but it was from dust from her carefree bedding. I was told it was okay.

My room has a draft but I make sure her cage is covered with my sleeping bag, because it retains heat very well, through out the night and most of the day. I'm currently trying to invest in flannel curtains for our room because its starting to get very cold here. I'm starting to get sniffles too.

I've also recently discovered she likes bananas...is she allergic to the bananas?

I've yet to discover a good vitamin c veggie for her that she likes. I've been using a liquid vitamin c in her water.

I hope someone can help me out. What should I do?

bpatters
10-10-12, 07:51 am
You should take her to a vet. Wet sneezes indicate a probable URI. Dry sneezes can be the beginning of an URI, or something snuffed up her nose, or allergies.

Don't put vitamin C in her water. It starts to degrade the minute you dissolve it, and within just a few minutes it's totally useless.

foggycreekcavy
10-10-12, 08:51 am
As for the vitamin C, you can buy human children's chewable C tablets in 100 mg. Quarter these, and either feed her the piece (some pigs will chew it if you put it back by their teeth, and some even learn to take it like it's a treat) or crush it up and feed it on a piece of wet lettuce, or an apple slice. Or, you can mix with water and syringe it to her.

What veggies does she eat? How about leafy greens?

linzax
10-10-12, 09:04 am
As for the vitamin C, you can buy human children's chewable C tablets in 100 mg. Quarter these, and either feed her the piece (some pigs will chew it if you put it back by their teeth, and some even learn to take it like it's a treat) or crush it up and feed it on a piece of wet lettuce, or an apple slice. Or, you can mix with water and syringe it to her.

What veggies does she eat? How about leafy greens?

She eats cilantro, wheat grass, and green peppers. Today I was planning to try out parsley and red pepper. I've been going through the list.

linzax
10-10-12, 09:04 am
Oh okay thank you! I will try to take by the end of the week.

bpatters
10-10-12, 09:10 am
Don't wait until the end of the week. Guinea pigs hide illnesses, sometimes until it's too late, and they can go downhill very quickly. You need to see a vet ASAP and get her started on a treatment.

linzax
10-10-12, 09:59 am
Don't wait until the end of the week. Guinea pigs hide illnesses, sometimes until it's too late, and they can go downhill very quickly. You need to see a vet ASAP and get her started on a treatment.

I got an appointment this Friday at 9am.

LithiumRiot
10-10-12, 10:07 am
You dont need to give any vitamin C supplements if you give your pigs enough of it through veggies. 1/8 of a green bell pepper per pig takes care of all vitamin C needs for the day.

As for the vet trip, see if you can maybe get an earlier appointment. I have a pig who sneezes, and it turned out to just be allergies, but I was really freaked out until the vet told me nothing was wrong with her.

linzax
10-10-12, 11:45 am
You dont need to give any vitamin C supplements if you give your pigs enough of it through veggies. 1/8 of a green bell pepper per pig takes care of all vitamin C needs for the day.

As for the vet trip, see if you can maybe get an earlier appointment. I have a pig who sneezes, and it turned out to just be allergies, but I was really freaked out until the vet told me nothing was wrong with her.

Yeah it might be. However, we just got our first rain of the season. The temp changed very rapidly last night. Can it be pneumonia? since she has congestion? Friday was the earliest they had that fit in my schedule.

bpatters
10-10-12, 12:03 pm
Weigh her daily, at the same time of day (something you should do anytime they seem the least bit "off"). If she gets worse, or is losing weight, just walk into the vet's office and tell them she needs to be seen. Forty-eight hours can be crucial with a sick pig, so watch her like a hawk. If she's going downhill, get her in to the vet sooner.

Carissa6729
10-10-12, 01:05 pm
I would do whatever you possibly could to get her in before then, especially if she is very young. That is a lot of symptoms IMO to wait until Friday and unfortunately, we've seen too many very sad stories lately of pigs dying from URI's with hardly a sneeze to show they had an illness. In fact, the previous thread before this has a baby who just passed away from a URI that was diagnosed at the same time as my Marshmallow.

As mentioned they hide their symptoms well, so if you are seeing so many, it would have me very worried personally. Days even hours could be the difference between life and death for your little girl.

I wish you and her the best, and lots of luck that it isn't something more serious. :)

linzax
10-10-12, 10:03 pm
Weigh her daily, at the same time of day (something you should do anytime they seem the least bit "off"). If she gets worse, or is losing weight, just walk into the vet's office and tell them she needs to be seen. Forty-eight hours can be crucial with a sick pig, so watch her like a hawk. If she's going downhill, get her in to the vet sooner.

Okay I am keeping an eye on her. I'm feeding her wheat grass plus her favorite snack, bananas. She's still munching on her food. I'll weigh her right now.

linzax
10-10-12, 10:06 pm
I would do whatever you possibly could to get her in before then, especially if she is very young. That is a lot of symptoms IMO to wait until Friday and unfortunately, we've seen too many very sad stories lately of pigs dying from URI's with hardly a sneeze to show they had an illness. In fact, the previous thread before this has a baby who just passed away from a URI that was diagnosed at the same time as my Marshmallow.

As mentioned they hide their symptoms well, so if you are seeing so many, it would have me very worried personally. Days even hours could be the difference between life and death for your little girl.

I wish you and her the best, and lots of luck that it isn't something more serious. :)

Thank you...I hope I've caught it early enough...

linzax
10-12-12, 12:58 pm
Okay! So I went to the vet. He said it's just a small head cold. All I have to do is give a pill twice a day for the next week. :) Thank You everyone for your help

bpatters
10-12-12, 02:38 pm
Give a pill? To a guinea pig? How do you plan to do that?

And what is that pill? If it's an antibiotic, you should know that a pig taking one will often lose its appetite and have intestinal disturbances, resulting in your having to hand feed it. You should weigh the pig daily, at the same time of day, and keep track of the weights. If the pig starts losing weight, you'll need to make some changes in the treatment.

linzax
10-13-12, 09:23 am
Give a pill? To a guinea pig? How do you plan to do that?

And what is that pill? If it's an antibiotic, you should know that a pig taking one will often lose its appetite and have intestinal disturbances, resulting in your having to hand feed it. You should weigh the pig daily, at the same time of day, and keep track of the weights. If the pig starts losing weight, you'll need to make some changes in the treatment.

Its Baytril. I syringe it with apple juice. She has been eating fine. Her weight hasn't lessen, she's actually been gaining a bit.

foggycreekcavy
10-13-12, 09:30 am
Last time I had a pig with a URI the vet gave me baytril tabs. The dosage was 1/4 a tab. They were easy to quarter, and I found that if I put it back by the molars the pig would just chew it up. It was actually easier than syringing meds.

bpatters
10-13-12, 10:46 am
Good to know, foggycreekcavy. Of course, that means you've got to be willing to put your fingers close to those razor knives in the front of their mouths. Having been nailed by one of mine when I held on to a bit of tomato too long, I'd be a bit hesitant to do that.

Carissa6729
10-13-12, 03:03 pm
Its Baytril. I syringe it with apple juice. She has been eating fine. Her weight hasn't lessen, she's actually been gaining a bit.

Just keep a very close eye on her weight, even if she's eating well. Mine had some days he ate more, some he ate less and after we stopped his antibiotics, two days later he lost almost 3oz in a day even with probiotics. After pushing Critical Care, he was back to normal eating the next day. But he was NOT happy about being force fed when he wasn't hungry and he's a voracious eater usually. I have a few bite marks left from it still. He's up running around and doing good now, but if left to his own devices, i could have lost him that night easily so just make sure you track weight even after you stop the antibiotics.

MrWhistles
10-13-12, 03:30 pm
I'm very concerned that the vet said the pig has a head cold. But at the same time, glad he prescribed the correct medication to treat URIs. I honestly wouldn't be going back to that vet.

foggycreekcavy
10-13-12, 08:55 pm
Good to know, @foggycreekcavy (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=13918) . Of course, that means you've got to be willing to put your fingers close to those razor knives in the front of their mouths. Having been nailed by one of mine when I held on to a bit of tomato too long, I'd be a bit hesitant to do that.

Haha! That's why I pushed it in on the side, behind the incisors!