Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

is my pig sick?

dalio

Cavy Slave
I am a new owner of Guinea pigs and I have one that has a slightly runny nose and keeps sneezing about every 15 to 20 mins it eats and drinks just fine should I be worried about my pig?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Usually when you have to ask if you pig is sick it usually is.
But yes, your pig does sound sick..they are prey animals and hide their sickness until it is to bad for them to hide it.
A vet visit is needed ASAP.

Have you been weighing your pig weekly? If not, it'd be a good idea to start to.

Piggycraze

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
im guessing you should see a vet ASAP

dalio

Cavy Slave
i have only had her for 24 hours now so i was not sure what to do

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Was the guinea pig a rescue or a pet store pig? If they were a rescue contact the last owner/rescue/shelter that they came from and see if they noticed any signs of illness before today. If they came from a pet store the sad reality is that most pet store pigs come home sick. Either way a vet visit is a good idea.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A guinea pig with a runny nose and sneezes needs to be seen by a good vet quickly. If you bought it from a pet shop, do NOT take it back there for treatment. They'll buy the pig back from you, and may or may not treat it. If it lives and you want it back, you can buy it back. If it dies, they'll sell you a new one.

You need to find a good exotic vet who can see your pig, and it needs to be done quickly.

Lisa21264

Cavy Slave
If pig has a runny nose and is sneezing take him to a vet ASAP.

dalio

Cavy Slave
they told me it was allergies? im not sure about what the vet said tho. they are from pet co. as of today they seem to be fine still sneezing a little but happy. what type of bedding is the best to use. what i have now looks like cellulose insulation. i have a 40 gal fish tank i keep them in

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Fish tanks are NOT meant for guinea pigs. They don't have proper ventilation so it's no wonder he is sneezing! Get him into a proper cage. Also pet co vets aren't going to give you an answer worth taking. Get the pig to a real exotics vet and get a better answer.

I have no idea what you mean by the bedding looking like cellulose insulation. Do you know what it's called?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.