Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Im New :)

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
Hey All,

I found this page from a person I am meeting who is selling me a cage... she told me to check this site out as she doesn't want me to use the cage she is selling me for long.. and I see why now... its small..compared to the C&C ones i've seen here..

25 inches W x 16 inches D x 15 inches H

so I've already started looking into building a C&C, Im located in Ottawa in Canada so does anyone know a good place to start looking for supplies?

I have also decided i'm going to use fleece as bedding.. :)

I don't have my piggy yet but soon.. :)

$(KGrHqFHJEgE+eD!3HrkBQ,ClIVOE!~~48_20.jpg

Nice to meet you all :) I look forward to talking more once I have my piggy.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I wouldn't bother buying that tiny cage, as you have no pigs yet so there is no need to waste money on a cage that you won't be using after a while any way.

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
yeah I think you are right.. I just tried to call the lady back as I am meeting her in a few hours...

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
But It was really great of her to tell you that the cage isn't big enough for a pig to live in, any way you could always use it as a quarantine one or a carry cage

ETA: I'm just being nosy...lol sorry! But just if you are only planning on getting one pig, you should know that they are social animals are need a buddy (or a few buddies, unless for some reason they will just not get along with another pig).

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
yeah my hubby will only let me get one, I tried to tell him that :(
I hope the piggy will be ok

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
If you can only get one, I'd talk to a local rescue if they have any lone pigs.
What are his reasons for only getting one? They really do need another pig, it doesn't double the amount of anything really but the pigs (unless they are lone pigs, but even then they like another pig near by) will need another pig to be truly happy.

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
If there are any Zellers near you check their storage aisle. Wire storage cubes are 60% off. I bought 5 packages (20) cubes for 25$. Coroplast can be bought at Home Hardware.

A coroplast cage is cheaper and alot bigger than a store bought cage. Plus you can design it any way you want

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
thankstinkermiss :) I do have a zellers near by. I just need to figure out to add a top to it as I have dogs :p I will look around on the site.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
Depending on how big and how determined your dog is you could just put your cage on a table. I got a cheap tressel table from a church as they didn't need it any more, it's high enough to keep my dog out and I find my pigs are generally more settled if they're up off the floor. of course you'd have to be sure your dog couldn't knock it off the table, or jump that high. You can make lids out of wire shelving, there are lots of pics in the gallery

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
thankstinkermiss :) I do have a zellers near by. I just need to figure out to add a top to it as I have dogs :p I will look around on the site.

I haven't built mine yet because we can't figure out what to do for a top

I hate that Zellers is going out of business but I love the sales:)

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
Yeah I agree they will be missed.. hmm I wonder how walmart is for the cubes..

tinkermiss

Cavy Slave
I almost bought them there. They were $15.99 for enough for 4 cubes. But I saw them at the closing sale and bought 5 packs there

Guineapig2012

Cavy Slave
Welcome. Good Luck with your new piggy when you get him/her.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
You can also just build a stand for the cage instead of covering it. Maybe @madelineelaine can help you locate some grids and coroplast. Good luck!

Livvy Jackson

Cavy Slave
u shouldnt really buy that cage anyway especially if ur gonna get 2 piggies and c&c cages r the best cages out of all of the cages in the world and thats true! :)

good luck finding a cage :) (get a c&c cage :p)

slowmaro

Cavy Slave
If you can only get one, I'd talk to a local rescue if they have any lone pigs.
What are his reasons for only getting one? They really do need another pig, it doesn't double the amount of anything really but the pigs (unless they are lone pigs, but even then they like another pig near by) will need another pig to be truly happy.

Have to totally agree with that. They pretty much need the same amount of room and twice the food is a few bucks. Besides the entertainment value of two compared to one is doubled as well. One just isn't as happy or lively. You'll eventually end up with more than one anyway. Everybody does. :D

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
Have to totally agree with that. They pretty much need the same amount of room and twice the food is a few bucks. Besides the entertainment value of two compared to one is doubled as well. One just isn't as happy or lively. You'll eventually end up with more than one anyway. Everybody does. :D

LOL I agree :p I have talked with my husband an he said we will see how it goes with one :p So I am going to try to get a female and pair her up with another female.. :p I plain on building a two level CC cage 2 x 3 so it should be big enough I hope :p
2x3x2-Colonial-084.jpg

There is a breeder about an hour away from where i live... maybe he will be convinced when he sees them :p *crosses fingers*

thanks for the help everyone! :)

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
So I am going to try to get a female and pair her up with another female.. :p I plain on building a two level CC cage 2 x 3 so it should be big enough I hope :p
View attachment 35094

There is a breeder about an hour away from where i live... maybe he will be convinced when he sees them :p *crosses fingers*

thanks for the help everyone! :)
Yes, the cage should be large enough - it meets the 7.5sq ft minimum for 1 to 2 guinea pigs and you have 2 floors so they can get away from each other if you decide to get another.
Can you check around shelters and rescues and rehoming websites like Craigslist for homeless piggies? You mentioned a breeder so I wanted to ask you to check around before buying from a breeder. ❤️

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Last edited:

Jen Percival

Cavy Slave
Yeah I will look around :) Not a bad idea.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Yes, please please rescue. If you can't I'd honestly say to wait no matter how long it takes to get one from a rescue and don't buy from a breeder. Breeders are just adding to the overpopulation of guinea pigs, and often treat them badly. So by buying from them you encourage it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.