Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergic to Timothy Hay

SugarBear

Cavy Slave
I have a mini-lop bunny and a new guinea pig (in separate cages, but in the same room). I realized I had an allergy to Timothy Hay when I got the bunny. Does anyone know what types of hay or grasses are less likely to cause allergic reactions than Timothy Hay?

I tried having my husband (who didn't want me to get the bunny in the first place) feed her the hay, and after repeated reminders he still would forget to do it, so having someone else do it is out of the question. I've been buying timothy pellets, but the more I read about the importance of fresh hay, the more I worry they aren't getting the right diet.

Please help!

pigsnchins

Cavy Slave
Have you tried hay cubes? Of the several that I have tried, the Oxbow Timothy Cubes seem to be the best in terms of the piggies enjoying them. The ones you can get at the pet store just don't seem to cut it.

Anyway, it really helps with the allergies to use the cubes as there is no dust flying everywhere. My husband is extremely allergic to the hay and can only use the cubes when he is the one caring for the pigs and chinnies. They definitely prefer the straight hay to the cubes, if given a choice, though.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Hay cubes don't replace the hay.

Kleenmama has EXCLELLENT hay called Bermuda/Bluegrass hay, it dosen't have any dust, and is sooo nice.

(broken link removed)

SugarBear

Cavy Slave
I've tried the cubes, but my concern is that they aren't getting enough of the nutrients they need from the cubes or the pellets. My son is allergic to Bermuda grass, and since the guinea pig is his pet, and he handles her two to three times a day (or more) it wouldn't be a good substitute.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Then the only other thing I think of is medication for you. Sorry.. :(

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
KM has bluegrass hay not bermuda grass hay. It's less dusty than most and there are many with allergies that get her bluegrass. You could also try orchard grass hay.

SugarBear

Cavy Slave
I think I'll try the orchard grass hay first, since I can get it locally. If that doesn't work I'll try the KM bluegrass hay.

I've had my son tested for allergies, and I will soon get myself tested and start treatment, so maybe there is some relief in the future!

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
KM has bluegrass hay not bermuda grass hay. It's less dusty than most and there are many with allergies that get her bluegrass. You could also try orchard grass hay.

Oh, I thought that the name was switched... : \

SugarBear

Cavy Slave
I just realized my son is allergic to Orchard Grass. Auuggh! He's also allergic to Kentucky bluegrass, which is the grass we have on our lawn. We'll both be going through allergy shots, but not until we get the final allergy testing done.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Do you think Oxbow's brome hay would work? ((broken link removed)) or their oat hay?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.