Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Storage

wuany

Cavy Slave
I recently bought a 25 lb bag 1/2 bluegrass and 1/2 Timothy Hay from KM's Hayloft. I don't want to store it in the basement because the pipes are leaking. I don't think storing it in the attic is a good idea either.

Right now we just have it in the box and bags it came in. We have cats and don't want them getting into it. How can we store the hay safely without any trouble?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Put it in a cool, dry area. You can take it out of the bag and put it back into the box. The hay needs to be able to breathe so it doesn't get moldy. You could put the box into a closet to keep the cats away.

wuany

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the help Ly.

wuany

Cavy Slave
I wound up buying two hampers with holes and stored the hay in them. The closets don't have any room. They are really small

PigGranny
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
PigGranny said:
Our cavy is in my child's room and in her room we put a large plastic pin from wal-mart that was very affordable. We put the bedding, hay, and food in the bin and then put the lid on.
The Hay should not be stored air tight. The hay will mold quickly air tight.

In fact the food and hay your child said you bought is crap. You need to throw out the Hartz and the pellets and buy some quality food and hay like Oxbow

PigGranny
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.