Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems White on Ear

thedoors27

Cavy Slave
Hopefully this picture is ok to see but is this the start of a fungal infection? My other guinea pig is fine but I noticed this on one of my guinea pigs tonight. If it is, can I treat this myself or will I have to get a vet involved?
image.jpg

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It looks like it to me. You can treat yourself, have a look through this link: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
Fungal infections can be contagious, so be careful. Wash your hands after handling and everything in the cage really well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @ellisa. You can do it yourself -- read those links she gave you. Be aware that Nizoral shampoo is being taken off the market -- some places still have it, but when it's gone, it's gone. That link should give you some other possibilities for treatment.

thedoors27

Cavy Slave
I've bought a couple of creams from gorgeous guineas. It's only on her ear I've checked her body and the other guinea pig. Will the cream be ok to clear it up?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We have no idea whether the Gorgeous Guinea creams will clear it up, since we don't know what they are. Is there an ingredients list on them?

You need something that will tackle a fungus infection. Monistat, readily available at any pharmacy will do it. And there are other creams listed on that GL page.

thedoors27

Cavy Slave
Applied some daktarin cream today and did a huge clean out of their home using Beaphar disinfectant. If I keep applying the cream will this be ok as she is only 3 months old. Also a bit confused, is all fungal infection ringworm or are there different types of fungal infection on guinea pigs?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, there are different strains of fungus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.