Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Worried about Noah

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I've started noticing Noah sneezing (it sounds like a quick puff of air through the nose, so I'm assuming it's a sneeze). He doesn't do it massively frequently but it has become noticable. I was just holding him for about half an hour, and he did it 3 times. I have also seen him rub his nose on the floor a couple of times, but the last time he did it was like, a week and a bit ago, and this is not a frequent occurance. I've checked his nose/eyes for any signs of illness (crust, discharge, etc) and they seem alright. I'm not sure whether he's showing signs of having a URI or not. I was told he might just have something bothering him on his nose, but I'm still worried that I'm missing something.

He is eating, drinking, and pooing as normal. His coat is also fine.

Any feedback would be great. If a vets trip is necessary I will make him one ASAP.

Thanks.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Could it be the bedding you use? If you are on fleece it could even be the detergent you wash it with that is causing a bit of an irritation. I used to use a perfume that would make my piggy's sneeze something wicked when I pick them up so I changed that. If there is no discharge it could be something as silly as this. Is his breathing still normal? Do you hear "bubbles" when he is breathing in and out?

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Could it be the bedding you use? If you are on fleece it could even be the detergent you wash it with that is causing a bit of an irritation. I used to use a perfume that would make my piggy's sneeze something wicked when I pick them up so I changed that. If there is no discharge it could be something as silly as this. Is his breathing still normal? Do you hear "bubbles" when he is breathing in and out?

I've changed the detergent I use already, to a non-bio one. I was using a make called 'bold' now I use the supermarkets own brand. Other than this his breathing is still normal. And no I don't hear any bubbles :/

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I've also just noticed a clicking sound in his chest when he's breathing - I'm going to make him a vets appointment for tonight. Do you think I should? I suspect a URI.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, a vet appt will rule out an URI. If he has an URI the vet should put him on meds. If he doesnt have on it will give you peace of mind.

kej4hj

Cavy Slave
A clicking sound does sound like an URI to me. An URI needs attention so you are on the right track with making an appointment with the vets.
Good luck!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
They're both going at 5.30 tonight, taking Elmo too because I know it's contagious so I'd like to get him seen to as well. I'll post the result :) Let's hope it's nothing that can't be fixed with antibiotics!

Fern_sweets

Cavy Slave
mine does this too!took her back in..her nose was making clicky sounds,vet said she didn't do it...she's on baytril to be safe..good luck with your piggies!!I hope its nothing!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
We're back from the vets! Good news and bad news. Bad news is Noah does have a URI, but the good news is, Elmo doesn't have it. The vet said I don't need to separate them because Elmo doesn't seem ill and Noah is now being treated, but they said to bring Elmo back if he shows symptoms. Noah's on 0.5ml of baytril a day, for 10 days. Another fantastic bit of news...they forgot to charge me for the check up and only charged me for the antibiotics! So what should have cost about £50 only cost £16! Either that or they quoted the check up price wrong in the first place, but when I took my hamster there for a check up it was £8 just for the physical, so it'd be suprised if the cost for a check up AND antibiotics for a guinea pig was only double that.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Noah's second day on his medicine, he wasn't happy about it at all this morning :( kept turning his head away and refusing to take it. I think he had about 0.2ml, gonna give him another 0.2 and a half later because a little bit of it went down by the side of his mouth. So glad I got him in the vets yesterday though cos his breathing is noticeably more lumbered today, I reaaally hope the antibiotics start working soon :( I'm probably being slightly over cautious but as a little bit missed his mouth, I'm not 100% of how much medicine he's had today - roughly 0.2ml to 0.2 and a half. It originally measured to 0.5 on the syringe and is now on 0.2ml. Will giving him 0.2 and a half later be alright? Don't wanna OD him or anything but it's only because a bit got spat out...

Fern_sweets

Cavy Slave
if you missed a bit in his mouth just be extra careful to get it in next time:) you will notice a change in 2-3 days some times right away.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
if you missed a bit in his mouth just be extra careful to get it in next time:) you will notice a change in 2-3 days some times right away.

He took his second lot with a little less refusal, I think he just gets grumpy in the morning lol. I'm kind of worried about Elmo though...because obviously he's in with Noah and still is...but the vet didn't prescribe anything for him and said just to keep an eye on him. I'm just worried he's going to end up with it too, and he's only 2/nearly 3 months old :( He's so tiny, I'm worried he'd be worse off if he got ill.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I'm worried :(

Okay, so, here's the background info.

A few weeks ago I noticed Noah sneezing. I thought it might be the washing powder I was using, so I changed it. He continued to sneeze and I noticed clicking sounds in his chest/belly. I took him to a vet and he was prescribed baytril, which I got changed the bactrim because he wasn't old enough. A few days later Elmo got prescribed the same meds as he developed the same symptoms.

Now, Noah has finished his medication, as has Elmo. Elmo has cleared up and is fine. Noah is still sneezing sometimes and still has noises going on inside him. He is eating/pooing/drinking/pop corning as normal, it's just the same two symptoms. I'm so worried about him :( But as he's been to a vet I don't know what it could be. I bought some white vinegar today and will be washing his fleece with that from now on to see if it makes a difference but I wanted to ask on here in the mean time what everyone thought. He was on bactrim for 10 days. I'm so worried about my little man :( I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Re: I'm worried :(

Okay, so, here's the background info.

A few weeks ago I noticed Noah sneezing. I thought it might be the washing powder I was using, so I changed it. He continued to sneeze and I noticed clicking sounds in his chest/belly. I took him to a vet and he was prescribed baytril, which I got changed the bactrim because he wasn't old enough. A few days later Elmo got prescribed the same meds as he developed the same symptoms.

Now, Noah has finished his medication, as has Elmo. Elmo has cleared up and is fine. Noah is still sneezing sometimes and still has noises going on inside him. He is eating/pooing/drinking/pop corning as normal, it's just the same two symptoms. I'm so worried about him :( But as he's been to a vet I don't know what it could be. I bought some white vinegar today and will be washing his fleece with that from now on to see if it makes a difference but I wanted to ask on here in the mean time what everyone thought. He was on bactrim for 10 days. I'm so worried about my little man :( I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him.

Sometimes URIs need more than a single round of antibiotics. I'd call your vet and maybe they will refill the prescription without you having to bring him back in.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave

Sometimes URIs need more than a single round of antibiotics. I'd call your vet and maybe they will refill the prescription without you having to bring him back in.

I have some left (not a lot but enough for another week I reckon, if not I can get more) from what they originally gave me, should I continue to give him them? Poor piggy. Like I said, there hasn't been any change in eating or anything, he just still has that clicking sound and the sneezing. He also sounds a bit puffy when I hold his nose to my ear but that's because it's literally right next to it, when I'm holding him normally you can't hear anything...Elmo's puffing is the same but he's nearly out of antibiotics.
I'm so worried about this it's not even funny :( I think I love my pigs more than anything in the world lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

He may need a different antibiotic. Whatever's causing his problem may be resistant to bactrim. If you haven't seen any improvement while he's been on the bactrim, it's time to try another one. But you should be able to call the vet and say that he's not better and ask for something else.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave

He may need a different antibiotic. Whatever's causing his problem may be resistant to bactrim. If you haven't seen any improvement while he's been on the bactrim, it's time to try another one. But you should be able to call the vet and say that he's not better and ask for something else.

The vet is closed tomorrow so I will keep him on the Bactrim and then speak to them on Monday. If they'll let me pop in without a full exam again I can go on tuesday but if not it'll have to be wednesday, stupid inconvenient opening hours!!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave

I am also going to try and get some probiotics tomorrow because last week all the shops within an hours driving distance of me didn't stock it but one place said they were getting a delivery in and they'd order some :) So I'll be in touch with them tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.