Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the world of Guinea pigs

mom2girls98

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone- we just adopted a very cute guinea pig from the Humane Society named Bill. Any advice- I have had friends say a big round tub is nice to keep the guinea pig in ( easier to clean and less mess trown around) but is it big enough? And should we start out with pellets and work up to fresh veggies? How much water should we leave in cage? ANy suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

lissie

Cavy Slave

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
I've seen a few pictures of people using plastic kiddie pools to house guinea pigs in. So just look at the size requirements listed on the homepage of the website.
Guinea pigs need hay, pellets, veggies. So start trying to give him some now. The day I got my current piggies I gave them some veggies that day. They pulled them out of the bowl and under their bed to eat them though. Right now he probably won't sit in your lap to eat the veggies though.
Water should always be available to them.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't take the advice of your friends on this one. A kiddie pool is OK for a playpen (I believe [MENTION=22259]mufasa[/MENTION] uses one) but not as a regular cage. As the others said, they need unlimited water and grass hay. Pellets are usually fed twice a day, 1/8 of a cup per day. (So 1/16 of a cup per feeding) and 1 cup of veggies per day, per pig. If you mean like a storage tub, please do NOT put your pigs in that. There is very little to no ventilation, which can lead to expensive vet bills.

guinealora

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
Did you know that guinea pigs are social creatures and prefer to live with a buddy? You would benefit from having another little pig too, as they would keep each other company.
And make sure to check out other people's pictures of their cages! It's so much fun building a cage for your pig and customizing it any way you want. :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I wouldn't take the advice of your friends on this one. A kiddie pool is OK for a playpen (I believe @mufasa uses one) but not as a regular cage.
I do indeed use a pool as a playpen but would not recommend it as a permanent cage. Mine is on the floor in the room where I work so I can keep an eye on the girls. Some pigs can jump out of pools, so an uncovered pool as a cage on an elevated surface would be very, very dangerous. I read a sad story here of someone whose pig died by jumping out of an elevated pool. They're great for floor time, though. Spacious if you get a big one, and easy to clean and rearrange.

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone- we just adopted a very cute guinea pig from the Humane Society named Bill. Any advice- I have had friends say a big round tub is nice to keep the guinea pig in ( easier to clean and less mess trown around) but is it big enough? And should we start out with pellets and work up to fresh veggies? How much water should we leave in cage? ANy suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

[MENTION=25126]mom2girls98[/MENTION] Did you happen to get Bill at a Humane Society in St. Louis, MO? We adopted a piggie from there last Wednesday and Bill was the other peeg they had was Bill. When I checked Petfinder the next morning he was gone. If you got that peeg it makes me so happy I felt terrible for not picking him.

dizzylynn

Cavy Slave
We bought a puppy pen for ours as additional play space, still need to get a cover to protect the floor from widdle tho.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see some other pig people in St. Louis.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.