Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New and eager to learn :)

Spadillio

Cavy Slave
I adopted Diesel yesterday from a shelter. It was love at first site, for me anyway. He is still very scared and hides under the second level. He doesn't seem to know how to climb up there yet so I've had to move his food to the bottom of the cage. I hope he learns soon so he can have a bit more room in his cage. Also I'm not sure of he knows how to drink from the water bottle, so he currently has both a bottle and a bowl. He will be going to the vet tomorrow for a check up. His previous owners: I know nothing about. I don't know what fruits and veggies he likes but so far he loves his lettuce and timothy hay. He wasn't too interested in the orange but I will try again tonight after some floor time. I'm mainly worried that he isn't getting enough water so I gave him a little extra lettuce to be sure.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
Welcome! :D You will find lots of helpful people here! He will settle in and come out of his shell but it will take a while.
You can just sit and chat with him for now, that is how I started with my Poppy.

I would also consider getting him a buddy, they do best with company. While I do have a Lone Boar, Poppy is the exception
not the rule.

You mentioned Lettuce, are you giving him Romaine, Red or Green Leaf Lettuce? Iceberg Lettuce is mostly water and
has very little nutritional value.

Spadillio

Cavy Slave
Romain lettuce :) and I'm thinking of a cage mate maybe in a couple of weeks after i build him a bigger cage. I can't wait to learn all I can for him.

Spadillio

Cavy Slave
This just in: Diesel is happily drinking from the water bottle... after I showed him where it was :D

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
Wee Hee! Can't wait to see pics!!!!!

It is amazing how quickly they learn! When I got Poppy the poor guy didn't know that veggies were good to eat.
I started by chopping them finely and adding to his Pellets, he got used to them and realized how yummy they are!!

By the Way, welcome to Piggy Slavedom!!!!!!

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! We would love to see a picture of him! (Is that him in your avatar? He's cute) :)

My boys mostly hid for the first week or two. Slowly as we held them, gave them veggies and talked to them they started to come out more.

Have you seen this veggie and fruit chart? It's got lots of things they can't and can have and how much they can have of them. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Romain lettuce :) and I'm thinking of a cage mate maybe in a couple of weeks after i build him a bigger cage. I can't wait to learn all I can for him.

Just be careful with Romain lettuce, if you see any white patches of extra calcium in his pee stop feeding it to him. :)

Spadillio

Cavy Slave
Just be careful with Romain lettuce, if you see any white patches of extra calcium in his pee stop feeding it to him. :)

I did notice white patches, guess I'll cut down on it. Day 2 went pretty well, I was nervous about leaving him home alone so he got to visit my grandparents for the day where he got lots of love and tv time :) when we came home he had some floor time. I set an appointment today for the vet on Thursday. There is still so much more I have to learn but I am very excited and eager to learn.

Also, special thanks for the veggie post. I printed it out and will be doing some better shopping tomorrow :)

And yes, that's him in my avatar :) I'll post more pics soon :D

He still hasn't learned the second level other than how to get down from it. I put some goodies up there in hopes he will explore more.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
When I put a loft in Poppy's cage I cupped my hand under his butt and guided him up the ramp. Now he races up and down!!! :D

CavyLover1234

Cavy Slave
I had to lead one of my pigs up and down the ramp with a carrot a few times, then she got the hang of it.

Welcome to the forum!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
If you have a ramp, when he gets more accustomed to you, it's a good idea to teach them how to use it. I found that one I had taught izzy and she was using it (that was a fun afternoon .. not) felix simply followed. Now they both understand that food is up the ramp, and when it's veggie feeding time they both scurry up the ramp and beg for veggies in the kitchen.

All I did to teach her was place her halfway up the ramp repeatedly, and I offered her a chunk of grape etc every time she went up or down. After having her go up and down about 7 times each, she got the picture. Then I started lurring her up and down multiple times with food. She's been using it just fine since.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
It took a week before both of my pigs would use their ramp! Try covering it with a towel to make it dark and putting his lettuce on it. That's what worked for me :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
Mr. Whistles needed encouragement on using his ramp as well. But soon he was creating earthquakes in his cage!

Spadillio

Cavy Slave
Mr. Whistles needed encouragement on using his ramp as well. But soon he was creating earthquakes in his cage!

Diesel had a lot of fun running around the spare bedroom today for a good 2 hours while I sat a watched a movie in the room with him. I'm working on getting him up the ramp slowly but surely. I took some lettuce and out little bits all the way up leading to a fresh pile of hay. Here's hoping for the best :)

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
welcome! It's great to have you here, and you boy is Faboo!

boofp

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I just left it to the pigs and they started using the ramp. I did place them up there a few times. Also, I do the loft half of the bottom grid tall so its not to far and they prefer to hop up and down even though I use the wooden bridge things as tunnels by the loft so they can climb on them to get to the loft.

boofp

Cavy Slave
001 (640x480).jpg002 (640x480).jpg003 (640x316).jpg

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
This is really a nifty set-up, but I do have one question. My pigs chew on everything. Do you Forum folks worry about having so much fabric, fibers, and plastics in their enclosures? If I"m holding a pig, they are chewing on my shirt, decorations, watchbands...anything they can get their little teeth on.
What say you?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
This is really a nifty set-up, but I do have one question. My pigs chew on everything. Do you Forum folks worry about having so much fabric, fibers, and plastics in their enclosures? If I"m holding a pig, they are chewing on my shirt, decorations, watchbands...anything they can get their little teeth on.
What say you?

Mr. Whistles chewed on everything as well. I'll admit I was scare he'd eat the fabric. But he didn't. A few nibbles here and there, but that was it. He only showed extreme interest in eating the fleece forest. Why, I do not know. I soaked his fleece forest in a 50/50 vinegar and hot water solution and BAM problem solved xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.