Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Attaching Cage to Stand

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
From your experience, is is better to build your cage into you stand when both are made from grids (using connectors and zip ties)so its all one piece or is it better to to build the cage and stand separately and connect them wit zip ties or brackets so you can take the cage off the stand without taking the whole thing apart? Im not sure how often, if ever, one would need to take the cage off the stand unless you were reconfiguring the whole set up. Thanks!

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I built my cage, and then I built the stand. After I put the cage on top of stand and connected it with zip ties no connecters at all. Then added two bent grids (had to big of holes to use for sides)as a shelf between the stands on bottom. 008 (640x480).jpg

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I built mine all together. It was just easier that way. Anytime you want to change a C&C up it will be a pain to cut through all those zip-ties. Not that it stopped me ever but it was a pain to do it! lol

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Great. . .now i have one vote for separate and one vote for together. . . Someone needs to do a tie breaker lol

Last edited:

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I would connect it all together, just for stability. I made my cage stand out of wood, so the stand just sits on top, but I think connecting it together would be really good :)

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Definitely want stability. Will probably make one from wood eventually but for now, I have tons of grids and trying to conserve money. I also prefer to have a bottom on the cage (made out of grids) because even when its on the floor, it seems to add much more stability. I want it to not wobble or seem unstable at all. Im very picky :D

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Definitely want stability. Will probably make one from wood eventually but for now, I have tons of grids and trying to conserve money. I also prefer to have a bottom on the cage (made out of grids) because even when its on the floor, it seems to add much more stability. I want it to not wobble or seem unstable at all. Im very picky :D

Well Mine is only a 2x4 cage with a base. Its very sturdy. The base is 2 (1x2 sections) With the two bent grids between the two to make a shelf. I made them separate and then zip tied them together. Yes if you want to re configure it all the zip ties have to be cut. Pain or not its just part of redesigning the cage again and again. Zip ties at walmart 100 for 1.27 I think its worth it. I probably go threw 200 about every three months lol

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
Yeah. Have never had piggies before but with my ferret i was totally neurotic about cage interior design and remodeling. Her cage was not able to be changed on the outside but the inside was always changing to keep things interesting :D

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I built mine all together. It was just easier that way. Anytime you want to change a C&C up it will be a pain to cut through all those zip-ties. Not that it stopped me ever but it was a pain to do it! lol

I did mine like this too! I can't imagine trying to connect the cage to the stand if I didn't do it all at once (it probably isn't that hard but I made my stand so there's storage and it was hard enough putting it all together at once.) I've tried to re-configure cages without taking the whole thing apart and for me it's IMPOSSIBLE so my suggestion is to do it all at once...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.