Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size new pig in quarintine

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
I found Lilly a buddy. she is in quarantine and I am working on making more room because A. my cage is great but not to standards but I have a question to make the most of my space. and current cage set up.

My cage right now is two levels

bottom level is 1x3 Upper level has a 1x1 kitchen with tunnel to an L shaped 1x3 with a 1x1 to make an L if that makes sense. So I am making the L shape into a 2x3

is the 2x3 enough for two run around in since they have a a 1x3 ll and a kitchen so that the 2x3 is open

Or I have some extra room on the edge of where I am putting the 2x3 so I could make it 42.5" x 34.5"which would add a little more space than a 2x3 probably not enough though...I am learning as I go and I am not good good with math :( so I would like to set it up and be done ;0 wishful thinking i know! And I am almost out of coro until the political race is done!! cuase the coro I had purchased from the sign store was a little more than I had lied to pay so I want to maximize what I have.

hopefully that makes sense. :mad:

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you could make it 42.5" x 34.5", it will be better than the 2x3, but if not, 2x3 is an okay size for 2 pigs.

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
It is about 0.3sqft to small for what is recommended, but meets the minimum space. 42.5 is about 3.54 ft 34.5 is about 2.88 ft. 3.54 x 2.88= 10.1952. That is approximate I did some rounding on each of those numbers. It might work for two females, but probably not for two males. You don't have to use coro for the cage. You can use a shower curtain as long as you have a flat surface to put it on. It would not work for the loft but it would work for the bottom. From what I understand the loft does not count towards the square-footage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Loft does not count towards square footage. 2x3 is the minimum size for 2.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
yep two females :) I checked and rechecked today! LOL

OK also do I need to have a seperate pigaloo for each or is hiding cozy space applicable. Like cozy cup and a pigaloo or hammock and a pigaloo...

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
yep two females :) I checked and rechecked today! LOL

OK also do I need to have a seperate pigaloo for each or is hiding cozy space applicable. Like cozy cup and a pigaloo or hammock and a pigaloo...

It doesn't have to be pigloos, and in your case I would avoid them completely as they just take up a lot of room.
I recommend using fleece forests & towels draped over corners instead to allow maximum space with a smaller cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't recommend pigloos at all unless they've got both an entrance and an exit. Otherwise they're just good places for one pig to trap another. You can use step stools or fleece forests or upside down boxes that will let a pig get away if necessary.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I agree, fleece forrests are really nice :) Even my pigs fleece hidies all have two exits.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
thanks!!! also how long do I need to quaruntine...she has been with the rescue for at least 3 weeks..no signs yet. No discharge, or any other issues that I can see. No itching no Sneezing. Some scabs on the tips of ears but nothing major. weight looks good. So far looks healthy.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If they get along, pigloos aren't a problem. I have pigloos in three of my four cages. The only reason my other one doesn't have them is because the guinea pigs in that cage slept outside the pigloos so it defeated the purpose. None of my current ones trap their cage mate in them. In fact, some sleep together in them. Occasionally, one of my females chases the other one out if she wants that one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.